Quantcast

clif shot v power bar

Originally posted by Big_Papa1080
do the clif shotz really work? i dont notice much of a difference with them but i do with the power bars.:monkey: :confused:
clif shots (the gel, right?) are just concentrated carbs. the most significant thing about the gels IMO is they take virtually no energy to digest. while you are riding, you don't want your body expelling energy digesting food when you can use that energy to ride!

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

clif shots (the gel, right?) are just concentrated carbs. the most significant thing about the gels IMO is they take virtually no energy to digest. while you are riding, you don't want your body expelling energy digesting food when you can use that energy to ride!
I feel a boost of energy 10 min after eating them and like Mtnbikerchk said they are easy to disgest and eat. Funny how chewing take some much effort after racing for 5 hours!

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
clif shots work well for me unless i am on a real long ride in which case i go for something more. they are great when it's hot because they take no effort to eat and you don't need to drink as much water after consumption.

CPT

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
Colorado
Cliff shot is made with a Brown rice syrup whereas Power gel is comprised of a variety a sugars - Maltodextrin, Fructose and Dextrose. While more is not nessecarily better, one may react better to a brown rice syrup - or not. Just be aware of the ingredience and remember that everyone's body is different!

Think of your body as a jet engine - the fuel you put into it will be what you get out of it :D

MBmaniak

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
In a race invoroment clif shots are way better than powergels. It comes out of the package easier than powergel and is easier to swallow. I can down 2 clif shotz in like 10 seconds, but i have to work on a powergel. Clif shotz taste WAY BETTER.

Granola

Chimp
Apr 16, 2002
At work or at school.
I agree that for a longer ride having something solid to munch for quick energy is better (for me). I could never get used to the Power Gels, you had to drink too much water afterwards and risked cramping up. I like the idea of ingesting something more 'natural' anyway. Plus the Mocha Mocha Cliff Shots contain caffeine....yummm.... :)