Quantcast

Clifcat Bikes?

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I'm looking at getting a new DH frame. The chump dh seems pretty good. I called and the guy says he can customize the geometry to anything I want (including travel, ha, bb hieght.......). The prices also seem pretty good.

Has anyone heard or know anything about them?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've heard of them, and considered a HT frame of their's back in my hardcore hucker days.

that's all i'm good for, though.

L

luelling

They look like nice frames and I've followed them for a while....but I don't know anyone, or own one personally. So I guess....I'm no use

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i've owned a couple. can't say i really care for the geometry. i still have one sitting in my basement. once i fix the linkage and such, definitely love it. but thats the only one i like, one of 2 that is

i owned a turmoil for about a month. completely hated it.

owner is very cool. just don't really like his work

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
i've owned a couple. can't say i really care for the geometry.
He's made changes to his geometry since early last year.......getting on board with the new low/slack trend.

Whatever the case he will work with cusotmers.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I really liked the solution...and he said he was going to lighten it up for this year...but i haven't seen anything of the sort...

that said i like the frames he does make. You may want to check out purgatorybikes.com for more east coast custom goodness.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
what do you mean? what would you suggest?
i'm just saying. do you really know what custom geo that you want. i mean like tt length, seat tube angle. all these measurements that you're telling me, do they really work out into a frame. what would you headtube length be then? or seatube for that matter?

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
bill(owner and maker of clifcat) Does do custom builds for anyone. He has them made to what you want and powdercoated to what you want. The Fr and DH frame are long and ride great. He is having mono tubing done for 2008 kinda like Intense. I own a clifcat chump FR and they are amazing bikes. They have a decent price but he will discount and make deals with you for upcoming frames and for people that are current riders of the frames.

pschvice

Chimp
Mar 13, 2006
Bill is a great guy and pretty much a one man show.. i have a 06 tankass and the geo is spot on for what i use it for.. For those that have been following his work you can see its been progressive, and getting better all the time. word

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Bill is a great guy and pretty much a one man show.. i have a 06 tankass and the geo is spot on for what i use it for.. For those that have been following his work you can see its been progressive, and getting better all the time. word
I bet he's already bought a frame

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
ew i just checked out the website....that battleaxe is a total letdown compared to the solution of old....oh well.
The Battleaxe used to be called the Holeshot years ago and that came out before the Solution (which was called the Nighttrain when it was a prototype a long time ago).

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Yeah I bought a frame. Everything went awesome, cept it will take a total of 3 months, instead of the 2 weeks he said. Hopefully it will b worth the wait. its coming w/ a 2008 marzocchi 888 wc air though. hopefully it will b worth the wait though ; ).

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I think the battle axe is cool looking. I wouldn't race it, but I would sport for riding/hucking

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Weird... I just realized that the upper chainring axle doesn't pass through the pivot like the previous Holeshot he used to make. It's a couple inches forward. I wonder why.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
maybe just too difficult to stuff the pivot & jackshaft & larger chainring / lg-1 assembly on the same axis. or he's trying for a bit more chain tension antisquat than the concentric mount would provide (i have no idea if this particular position would actually achieve this).

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
its kinda funny that some one brings this old thread up as i have been looking for a dh frame and this look like it could very well be the one that i will get now as it has the geo that i want

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
They seem a bit pricey no? But thats cool I am all about going with someone local and custom, they just dont do anything for me..

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They seem a bit pricey no? But thats cool I am all about going with someone local and custom, they just dont do anything for me..
Pricey yes... but I think that includes a good chunk of the drivetrain.

The bottom bracket height could easily be lowered since there's no chainring that can hit the ground.