Quantcast

Clipless Pedals for bad Knees

Bugman

Chimp
Jan 31, 2002
Midwest
Hey all,
I was wondering what type of pedals I should get.
I have Knee issues cause I crawl around under peoples houses doing termite work all the time. I have heard that SPD can be bad on the knees.
How about Time or Speedplay Frogs?
Any imput would be helpful

R

RideMonkey

Time are very good for several reasons:

1. THere is rotational float.
2. There is several mm of side to side float (not sure of any other pedal that has this)'
3. The easy disengage of the brass time cleats means that you will pop out in a crash rather than having your knees twisted when you get tangled up in the bike.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Bugman
Hey all,
I was wondering what type of pedals I should get.
I have Knee issues cause I crawl around under peoples houses doing termite work all the time. I have heard that SPD can be bad on the knees.
How about Time or Speedplay Frogs?
Any imput would be helpful

I have a bad knee and ride SPD's. but as far as float, I think the Time would be best for you.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Another thing- that might help even more on your knee problem?... [if you have any right now?] is to "learn" how to pedal properly- the right way... you know?

I got taught by an ex-Pro roadie [friend of mine] and as well as i learned to "do it the right way"... my knee problems disappeared, and i got faster and more efficient, with less power [watt] output!... i got tested at the hospital in a MAX test, using both "techniques"....

One thing thats vital for saving your knees- is to keep them straight while pedalling, especially when you'ree standing up, and really pushing the pedal ;) ... remember to think: I gotta pedal right! ... pushing is only 35% of the whole pedal rotation... by "dragging" the pedal up towards yourself, you save your knees from downwards pressure... in terms [if i get this spelled right- or not being missunderstood] the knee "relaxes" for half a rotation... or something like that.... but hey! :D ... some professor told me this in some serious medical terms, i'm not totally hip with!...;) :rolleyes:

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
you have to test it out if it works then, I know from a friend of mine that he got knee probs while using spd's and swiched to flat's and no probs anymore. maybe it works for you, maybe flats will, or the other options time, frogs.....

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
I just put some of those Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals on my bike and WOW! They sure are sweet, so much better than any pedal I've ever used (basicly everything on the market) and at the same time the lightest, simplest, and cheapest. Entry and exit couldn't be any easier and they have either 15 or 20 degrees of float.

Single Speeds teach you how to pedal too, you would be amazed at what you learn by riding a simple bike.

Bugman

Chimp
Jan 31, 2002
Midwest
Originally posted by Steen Good Legs
Another thing- that might help even more on your knee problem?... [if you have any right now?] is to "learn" how to pedal properly- the right way... you know?

I got taught by an ex-Pro roadie [friend of mine] and as well as i learned to "do it the right way"... my knee problems disappeared, and i got faster and more efficient, with less power [watt] output!... i got tested at the hospital in a MAX test, using both "techniques"....

One thing thats vital for saving your knees- is to keep them straight while pedalling, especially when you'ree standing up, and really pushing the pedal ;) ... remember to think: I gotta pedal right! ... pushing is only 35% of the whole pedal rotation... by "dragging" the pedal up towards yourself, you save your knees from downwards pressure... in terms [if i get this spelled right- or not being missunderstood] the knee "relaxes" for half a rotation... or something like that.... but hey! :D ... some professor told me this in some serious medical terms, i'm not totally hip with!...;) :rolleyes:

I am an ex roadie, granted I have not been riding for many years, but as they say: You never forget how. I have a very good pedal stroke, I spent 6 years in the Marines running in combat boots, yuck! and now my job has me on my knees crawling through gravel all the time. Granted I do use kneepads at work but the knees still bother me after 10 hours on em'. Now that I am getting back into cycling and have seen alot of warnings on the dangers of knee problems with clipless, I just wanted to get imput from others before I forked out the $$$$ on a pedal just to have it bother my knees.

Also one other question: Do all the shoes work with all these systems?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
doooooooo nottttttt get times!!!!! your knees will hateeeeee you!!! the lateral float can reallllly mess w/ em, i've got bad knees already and i have been testing out the times for about a year now and the lateral float is not at good idea. over time as the cleats become worn and the plastic body, there is a slob that is developed and it allows the cleat to put force from side angles which can reall mess w/ you depending on how bad your knees are. i've used both the time's and speedplays. i would recommend the speedplays over the times just MAKE SURE YOU LUBE THEM ALOT!!!!! b/c if you don't you might as well forget about keeping them more then a year.

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by Bugman

I am an ex roadie, granted I have not been riding for many years, but as they say: You never forget how. I have a very good pedal stroke, I spent 6 years in the Marines running in combat boots, yuck! and now my job has me on my knees crawling through gravel all the time. Granted I do use kneepads at work but the knees still bother me after 10 hours on em'. Now that I am getting back into cycling and have seen alot of warnings on the dangers of knee problems with clipless, I just wanted to get imput from others before I forked out the $$$$ on a pedal just to have it bother my knees.

Also one other question: Do all the shoes work with all these systems?
Do you look like John Goodman from Arachnophobia?

Back to the question of clipless. I have gone for Shimano SPD M020 shoes and pdm324 pedals. Once side is a standard cage the other is a cleat. I choose the shoes because they are the recommended type to go with the pedal.#

Shoe £34.99
Pedal £33.99

I have been a flat pedal rider for a long and didnt want to dive straight in to clipless.However, I have now found that by using the full circle I can get more power and use less energy. Each stroke is a push down with the forward leg and a pullup with the back leg. I also have an awkward right knee and clipless does help because it keeps my feet and power line parallel to the bike frame. I tend to use Ankling, where I lower my ankle at the top of the stroke and push down with my toes at the bottom of the stroke. It can give the extra bit of power!

Attachments

G

gravity

Originally posted by Nizmeister

Back to the question of clipless. I have gone for Shimano SPD M020 shoes and pdm324 pedals. Once side is a standard cage the other is a cleat. I choose the shoes because they are the recommended type to go with the pedal.#

Shoe £34.99
Pedal £33.99

I have been a flat pedal rider for a long and didnt want to dive straight in to clipless.However, I have now found that by using the full circle I can get more power and use less energy. Each stroke is a push down with the forward leg and a pullup with the back leg. I also have an awkward right knee and clipless does help because it keeps my feet and power line parallel to the bike frame. I tend to use Ankling, where I lower my ankle at the top of the stroke and push down with my toes at the bottom of the stroke. It can give the extra bit of power!
those are almost exactly the same as my current pedals. i have some VP Components 131 pedals, which are essentially Shimano rip-offs. they seem to work fine tho, and having the platform side kicks arse cos half the time i'm not wearing my riding shoes.

Bugman

Chimp
Jan 31, 2002
Midwest

Shoe £34.99
Pedal £33.99

I don't like the way Hollywood portrays Pest Control folks.

First, We don't use chemicals that "Smoke, desolve things or the like"
We are highly trained individuals that know more about some chemicals and insects than most.
We are trying to get more of a professional image in our industry. It takes alot of years to get compitent in this feild.

So I guess my answer to your question is no, I don't like John Goodman in Arachniphobia, or Christopher Walken in Mousehunt. It is not the actors fault, it is Hollywood's Same as the media.

Tip; If you really have questions about the safety of pesticides call your local Pest Control co. Call a local one, NOT A BIG CORPRATE CHAIN!!!!! These people will be able to give you the real scoop:D

Ok,Now I will come down off my Soap Box :p

........I tend to use Ankling, where I lower my ankle at the top of the stroke and push down with my toes at the bottom of the stroke. It can give the extra bit of power!

Dude, If you are ankling, you need to put your seat down a little. Ankling (where you push down with your toes at the bottom of the stroke becasue the seat is too high to keep your foot flat) can seriously damage you ankle/achillies tendons. You can develop serious over use injuries in your ankles, Its like standing up and down on your toes all day, while the bumps on the trail add extra stress on the joints.......

mtbtuc8700

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
CT
You can't go wrong with the SPEEDPLAY Frogs! I have them on 3 bikes and had the same sets for 3 years with no probs. PM me if you have any specific questions about the pedals.

Sista Kreep

Chimp
Jan 30, 2002
northeast
I am definatly a speedplay kinda girl!! I tried times first, and ohhh, I nearly killed myself. I could never get out quick enough. I love my speedplays!!! They are easy to get in/out of, and my knees never hurt. I began spinning a little this winter, and the spd pedals are hurting my right knee. I'd go with speedplay!!!