Quantcast

Clipless Shoes Opinions....

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Well, I owned and wore a Shimano M151 pair of spud tamers and 6 mos worth of racing and Bib Bear riding the bottom lugs, thread and what not are torn off...literally.
I'm eyeing on a pair of Shimano Hi-end shoes with carbon reinforced soles and I wonder how long will these last as well. I race DH and just plain ride a lot and I use clipless pedz all the way. Any suggestion before I purchase the Shimano M220? What about the Sidi Dominator? I'm looking for the shoes that will retain its bottom lugs atleast, even just a bit under a full season.

Thanks

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I second the Sidi recommendation. Mine are still pristine. Or at least they would be if I cleaned them.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
if I could just get a photo of current (now retired SHM151s), you'd be amazed at what condition they are in now. No lugs for the most part. Well, thanks, I may just resort to the Shimmies since their cheaper than the Sidis

Corporate Racer
Ozzer

JustJoeRide

Chimp
Sep 23, 2001
So Cal
I 3rd the Sidi's, 'cept go for the Dom 4's or Dom 4's Megas (wide).
going on 5K miles of hard riding.

Gettin' ready to buy some new ones finally @$160.00, not the cheapest but definetly the best. :thumb:

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Why izzit that most of the monkeys skimp on the shoes? :think:

Anyhow, I am a confirmed Sidi-Man. I love my Fires and will probably buy another set after I wear these out in a few years...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Ozzer
Any suggestion before I purchase the Shimano M220?
I own a pair of the M220's. I love them. It's my first pair of clipless shoes, so I really can't compare them to others. But they are comfortable, the soles are very stiff, and they are light. I believe Pricepoint has them for $90 (normally $190).

I believe Acadian owns a pair too.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Sidi's are too tight in the toe for my feet and I'm not keen on buckles on any shoe. They're just not needed. I have been on the 220's for two seasons now and they aren't showing much wear. I don't wear them during the winter though, I have winter Sidi Storms.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Hey Heidi...thanks for the welcome and this place just seem to actually have live and breathing people....

Anyways, I just ordered myself two pairs of Shimano. 220s and its lower-end sister (for playtime). I tried the Sidis and they're a bit too snug and I'm not sure if the ratchets will hold up to the abuse of DH racing. Thanks for all the input.

Corporate Racer:
Ozzer

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Ozzer
Anyways, I just ordered myself two pairs of Shimano. 220s and its lower-end sister (for playtime). I tried the Sidis and they're a bit too snug and I'm not sure if the ratchets will hold up to the abuse of DH racing. Thanks for all the input.

Corporate Racer:
Ozzer
Cool! :thumb:

You won't be disappointed.

Yes, welcome to Ridemonkey. :D

mtbtuc8700

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
CT
Sidi Just makes a great shoe thats pretty much all I need to say. The standard size shoes run a littel narrow for some people but they do make the Mega for those with wider feet. I think they might still make like a DH shoe also. The Shimanos are nice also, the soles should hold up better, but in the past Shimano has been pretty good about replacing shoes with problems at least for me. So far I have had Shimanos, Carnacs, and Sidi's, and Nike but the sidi's just fit my feet the best! Shoes are a persoal thing though. Best of luck finding the shoes that fits the best.

methodman

Chimp
Nov 12, 2008
Wa State
I'm a fan of the Pearl Izumi Quest MTB shoe, I'm fairly suprised noone else has mentioned them. They are a lot cheaper then the SIDI's and have lasted 3 years of riding for me (about 3000 miles on trails)

methodman

Chimp
Nov 12, 2008
Wa State
Oops didnt see it was a 7 year old post. I have the Vegabond which turned into the quest, but I don't even know if those were around in 2001.