Quantcast

Coffee for a n00b

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So... for the record, like good beer, there's nothing wrong with some bitterness in coffee. Obviously it's dependent on an individual's preference, but there's nothing inherently wrong with coffee having some...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've never been so disappointed in you.
I should get an espresso machine and then use it exclusively to draw shots that I'll add fats to…

:D

So... for the record, like good beer, there's nothing wrong with some bitterness in coffee. Obviously it's dependent on an individual's preference, but there's nothing inherently wrong with coffee having some...
Part of this may be that caffeine in and of itself is perceived as bitter, albeit apparently not through the usual/canonical bitter taste pathway:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Not eating this morning so black as my heart.

I did a new to me French press technique.

Before:

- preheat press then grounds in
- twice as much 195-200F water as volume of grinds, 30 sec, break up bloom and push down the chunks
- remainder of water, cover
- when 4 min from initial water press down plunger and pour into another container

Different method:

- preheat press then grounds in
- all water in at once, not covered, don’t break up bloom
- 4 min
- now push down all the chunks, still don’t cover, optionally take out floating chunks with spoon
- 5-6 extra minutes
- put in plunger and lower to top level of coffee but not lower, pour all out

It uses the plunger as a filter but otherwise is a different slower technique. Resulting coffee tastes good, less texture, not bitter at all, smaller amount of oils on surface. It is different, not necessarily better or worse.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stomach hasn’t felt great yesterday or today. Perhaps coffee on an empty stomach is inadvisable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have it with cream.
Then my stomach would thereby not be empty. See intermittent fasting thread. Easy solution would be to add crap to it but also not drink it first thing, instead bringing it into work in a ThermoFlask and having it as I break my fast with accompanying foods.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh, I was suggesting lunch in lieu of ride.

Mmm delicious melted butter

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The most annoying part about drinking coffee (with food!) adulterated with a bunch of fats in it is that I must stir it up prior to each sip lest I get a drink of purely oils.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't understand why you need to put anything in your coffee other than coffee. Why not take a supplement for the other things you need/want and leave your coffee pure and wonderful?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't understand why you need to put anything in your coffee other than coffee. Why not take a supplement for the other things you need/want and leave your coffee pure and wonderful?
Adding MCT oil can increase ketone levels for those shooting for such things.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I understand that someone may have convinced you that MCT oil can/should be part of your diet. Even accepting that, why does it need to be in your coffee? Just enjoy your coffee and take an MCT supplement if you want the benefits.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I understand that someone may have convinced you that MCT oil can/should be part of your diet. Even accepting that, why does it need to be in your coffee? Just enjoy your coffee and take an MCT supplement if you want the benefits.
I’d rather drink a cup of coffee with MCT oil in it than drink that same coffee straight and the MCT oil straight, as it were.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today I am fasting. Wrong thread? Actually not: after skiing in a fasted state and driving home I made myself 20 oz of French press coffee before driving into work in turn to work 5-10 PM.

From 5 PM until just a moment ago, just after 9 PM I've therefore been drinking a fair amount of caffeine. Will I bounce off the walls all night?!

:D

(And, for the record, in that 20 oz of coffee I put 2.5 tbsp of MCT oil, again for the purported ketone-increasing effects during the fast.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was fine after that late night caffeine. Go figure.

This morning I made myself a delicious mocha: French press over several squares of some 92 or so % dark chocolate, heavy cream, a dollop of coconut oil, no added sugar beside that small amount inherent in the chocolate.

Dark chocolate and coffee are definitely along the same spectrum of flavors.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was fine after that late night caffeine. Go figure.

This morning I made myself a delicious mocha: French press over several squares of some 92 or so % dark chocolate, heavy cream, a dollop of coconut oil, no added sugar beside that small amount inherent in the chocolate.

Dark chocolate and coffee are definitely along the same spectrum of flavors.
not everyone has caffeine induced sleep issues.

also stop putting oil nonsense in your coffee.

and yes, dark chocolate is a bitter. you're just now learning this?

in other news, i picked up an inexpensive manual grinder for my presso. good decision.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My coffee today tastes nice and smooth because of all the oils and shit I put in it today^H^H^H. I’m drinking it black, because today is day 1 of my open-ended extended fast and I don’t want to do anything to inhibit lovely autophagy effects. Gotta recycle those organelles, mannnnnn