Quantcast

Coil boinging on a budget

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Looking at some budget coil options for my 2021 Scout. Right now I have a Float X Factory on it which is working pretty good for that bike. But I need to send it in for warranty again for a clunk.

I'd like to get a backup coil shock, could also be used for some shuttle days and some light lift served days.

I can get a bro deal on either a Bomber CR, DHX, and maybe a DHX2.

I like the simplicity of the CR and DHX.

Any thoughts?

Mindless drivel accepted.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
BTW, my last coil experience was with an Elka Stage 5 on a Carbine. It's been a while...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If your bro deal on the Bomber CR is close to what I got mine for, from Llama Cycles, I don't think you can really touch it in terms of cost vs performance (for a backup shock). I think I paid $300 something?

Its not the greatest shock out of the box, but I only say that because after switching to an Float X2, which seems to work much better. But it works and I rode the stock Bomber CR throughout the entire BC trip last year.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
If your bro deal on the Bomber CR is close to what I got mine for, from Llama Cycles, I don't think you can really touch it in terms of cost vs performance (for a backup shock). I think I paid $300 something?

Its not the greatest shock out of the box, but I only say that because after switching to an Float X2, which seems to work much better. But it works and I rode the stock Bomber CR throughout the entire BC trip last year.
super deluxe coil are usually around 400 retail here, bro deal 300ish

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Can get the CR for $200cnd, DXH $379. No bro on RS stuff unfortunately. What is it you see as different from CR to X2?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can get the CR for $200cnd, DXH $379. No bro on RS stuff unfortunately. What is it you see as different from CR to X2?
Its hard for me to put it into words, but the X2 just feels..........better? But really, I guess it just feels more controlled in both compression and rebound. The coil also felt like it was really easy to go through the first bit of travel, where the X2 feels like it has more damping (?) I guess? This could be down to the frame though perhaps.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Its hard for me to put it into words, but the X2 just feels..........better? But really, I guess it just feels more controlled in both compression and rebound. The coil also felt like it was really easy to go through the first bit of travel, where the X2 feels like it has more damping (?) I guess? This could be down to the frame though perhaps.
I figure you've played with adding slow speed comp?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Depends on the bike's leverage curve. ~2.7 w/ 20-25% progression and a 450lb spring? A stock CR/DHX will probably be fine. Get too far away from that and you'll need a custom tune. DHX2 can handle a bit more deviation before it needs a custom tune. The HBO on the Super Deluxe is great for lower progression or short travel, but the shock may also need a custom tune if you're too far outside it's happy place; when I ordered mine you could only get one tune after market even though they have part numbers for different tunes - that my have changed now, if so this is the way.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ohlins shocks are very rebuildable. So you can do what I did to my old bike and simply get an ohlins some kid killed on his Spesh and get someone to rebuild it for you. I think in total it cost me $250 and that's in Poland where shit's expensive.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
-Cr is cheap and extrly good for price
-DHX2 blow out seals alot and puke oil
-Rockshox super deluxe ultimate especially with --- HBO is pretty damn awesome if you can get one cheap (reliable as hell, solid)
-ohlins is solid but almost never cheap

What size are you looking for? And mounting ends??

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Depends on the bike's leverage curve. ~2.7 w/ 20-25% progression and a 450lb spring? A stock CR/DHX will probably be fine. Get too far away from that and you'll need a custom tune. DHX2 can handle a bit more deviation before it needs a custom tune. The HBO on the Super Deluxe is great for lower progression or short travel, but the shock may also need a custom tune if you're too far outside it's happy place; when I ordered mine you could only get one tune after market even though they have part numbers for different tunes - that my have changed now, if so this is the way.
Scout is at 25%

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ohlins shocks are very rebuildable. So you can do what I did to my old bike and simply get an ohlins some kid killed on his Spesh and get someone to rebuild it for you. I think in total it cost me $250 and that's in Poland where shit's expensive.
No cheap Ohlins around here.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
dang. woulda sold you the superdeluxe that came on my first nomad for cheap but it's 235 x 65. i thought it was really good.
I hear the same thing about the RSSD. But would need to go used or full price.

The Bomber is really tempting at $200cnd...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I hear the same thing about the RSSD. But would need to go used or full price.

The Bomber is really tempting at $200cnd...
At that price you could probably sell it to Jm after, if you don't like, so he can go tune it for his fat bike. Win win

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The Bomber CR definitely punches above its weight, or whatever euphemism you prefer.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've done that. But back then it was the Fox version of the Marz CR. That's all you really need. Tricky bit is the spring and adaptors, but they're cheap. For me, one bike had 6mm hardware, the other 8. Blah blah insert mindless drivel. A positive is that you are now running a basic damper and spring. It pretty much brings out the good and bad out of the bike cuz no fancy suspension adjustment bit is covering up for a bad/sub optimal design. Not that that ever happens in today's society :D

At one point it was floating around 2-3 bikes mainly due to the same situation you're in. All you need is the adaptors and spring and you're good to go. Stroke and length is a thing. Luckily for me they were all relatively the same.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I've done that. But back then it was the Fox version of the Marz CR. That's all you really need. Tricky bit is the spring and adaptors, but they're cheap. For me, one bike had 6mm hardware, the other 8. Blah blah insert mindless drivel. A positive is that you are now running a basic damper and spring. It pretty much brings out the good and bad out of the bike cuz no fancy suspension adjustment bit is covering up for a bad/sub optimal design. Not that that ever happens in today's society :D

At one point it was floating around 2-3 bikes mainly due to the same situation you're in. All you need is the adaptors and spring and you're good to go. Stroke and length is a thing. Luckily for me they were all relatively the same.
Haven't looked into the mounting hardware. Since both are Fox products, hopefully I can just switch hardware.

Ordered it yesterday, Bomber CR and SLS spring.
$290cnd. At that price it was hard to pass. If base compression ends up being to much, I'll just have S4 tune it at the end of the season.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IME, the Bomber CR has some wacky rebound. I've read it's ported too small and that's the source, if you increase it too much, it starts affecting compression. I modded mine and it works "ok", not great, but at times the best thing I have going. It's cheap and works pretty good, so it's hard to diss much, plus lots of tuners will work on em. If I was going for a new "good" mainstream coil shock and price wasn't the all out most important factor, I'd probably be looking closely at the SDU, it has some of the least wacky stuff going on, compared to Fox, etc.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
IME, the Bomber CR has some wacky rebound. I've read it's ported too small and that's the source, if you increase it too much, it starts affecting compression. I modded mine and it works "ok", not great, but at times the best thing I have going. It's cheap and works pretty good, so it's hard to diss much, plus lots of tuners will work on em. If I was going for a new "good" mainstream coil shock and price wasn't the all out most important factor, I'd probably be looking closely at the SDU, it has some of the least wacky stuff going on, compared to Fox, etc.
I've read a few reviews that mentioned that, mostly for light riders, which I am. But in the grand scheme of things, I'll ride it and have it tuned at S4 (where my friend works) and try to iron out some of the flaws.