Quantcast

Coil Vivid RC2 to Air Vivid RC2 for the DHR

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
the winter boredom bug is biting

I recently installed an air cartridge in my boxxer with charger and I absolutely love it, much more than the coil. I love the fine tuning with the air, instead of swapping out 1 of 3 springs available for the fork. seems much more smoother, and ramps up at the end better ( thanks to tokens )

now that im almost pushing 190lbs my rear vivid is waay past the recommended spring preload

so should i just simply buy a stiffer spring, or swap out for an air can? again, i love the air adjust-ability aspect, but I have not heard a much about performance and or reliability of the Air Vivid RC2

thanks
:drag:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think grinding of the shock cradle is required to fit the air can, can't remember if it was @kidwoo or someone else on empty beer first posted about the mods required years ago.

I was still trying to decide on boxxer spring rate after I picked up one cheap last year. Even after a heavy nose case at Trestle last summer I'd still got 1 1/2" of travel left. I might knock it down a spring weight again for this summer...

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Grinding of the link is required for the Vivid air can to fit. I ran this setup for a few years but in the end found I preferred a coil shock on the DHR.
I ran both coil and air rear shocks with a WC (air) boxer up front.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The air boxxer is OK but the vivid air sucks, don't bother.

Just get the right spring rate if you're happy with the shock.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Does Vivid Air even fit into the DHR linkage? IIRC there was some serious machining involved in fitting a modern air shock into that thing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Your dhr may be different than how my bike feels, but I flat out hated the vivid air on my v10, I didn't realize how much I hated it until I put a full season on a coil on the bike. Then I tried a vivid air again (my wife still thinks she likes hers) and my thoughts were confirmed.