Quantcast

come on people(lets ride!)

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
just thought i would see who is going out to softies tomarrow? jesse, james and my self are going out to softies tomarrow at about 10:30. after a couple hours of riding there we will go over to the flow for the rest of the day! who's we with me? i will be on a blue specialized fuse 4 with a gold fork by the way. and yes i do hit up the flow/dh course on my 20''.

:hot:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
ryan/kona29 said:
hey... who are you? cool pic man! i probebly know you in person, i just don't know your RM name?
Thanks!
Ya, we've met. You and Jesse are down there often - I was the guy giving you a rash that day about not having your mtb and you told me it was busted up. Since I probably wasn't the only person to do so, this pic may help jog your memory...

Anywho, it looks like if I do get down there tomorrow it will be on my 'cross bike. I have no rear brake - needs a bleeding something fierce and I don't have a bleed kit here. Luckily I work at a bike shop - unfortunately it's clear across town from here.:mumble:
Oh well, the 'cross bike still gets me in the woods...that's all that really matters. If I do that, I'll still bring my camera so that those riding the flowpark can get their camera-courage on.:thumb:

Sep 8, 2004
I might make it out there, introduce the new hardtail to dirt. Fork needs stiffer springs so I won't be doing much, just kinda get used to riding a hardtail again.

-James.

DBR X6 RIDER said:
Thanks!
Ya, we've met. You and Jesse are down there often - I was the guy giving you a rash that day about not having your mtb and you told me it was busted up. Since I probably wasn't the only person to do so, this pic may help jog your memory...

Anywho, it looks like if I do get down there tomorrow it will be on my 'cross bike. I have no rear brake - needs a bleeding something fierce and I don't have a bleed kit here. Luckily I work at a bike shop - unfortunately it's clear across town from here.:mumble:
Oh well, the 'cross bike still gets me in the woods...that's all that really matters. If I do that, I'll still bring my camera so that those riding the flowpark can get their camera-courage on.:thumb:

Whoa nice work!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Thanks, Cory!:thumb:

Looking like Pip & I will be getting down there between 9:30-10 this morning. He'll have a real bike and, as I mentioned, I'll be dinking around on the 'cross bike. I think I'm going to scout around and see if there's any other one-hit-wonder potential anywhere else in the park. At least my head will be in the right place even if I'm on the wrong bike.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Didn't ride much out there myself today - 'cept for that one run where I rallied my 'cross bike over the concrete jump coming into the slab area, rolling the drop just after the slab, the hip next to the kicker on the main line and the hip next to the table after that. Scary sh*t. Took to shoveling and the obligatory camera-bitch.
Lots of peeps and a killer sesh from what I was seeing.

Sorry my crappy berm nearly killed you, Marty.:dead: I touched it up a little more after a lap around the PARK park.

Some highlights from today - up top, at least...

Is it Thursday yet?:help:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Looks like peope were liking the work we did on that sandy jump! Anyone hitting the new one to riders right of that? Might come out today, see how the weather is...

Sep 8, 2004
Here's a few edits of the shots I took yesterday, hope ya don't mind the psuedo-artistic tweaking.

And last but not least, here's my new hardtail.

Next time I'll have my camera setup right from the get-go, so I won't botch so many photos!

-James

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
fuzzycatnuts said:
Looks like peope were liking the work we did on that sandy jump! Anyone hitting the new one to riders right of that? Might come out today, see how the weather is...
As the pics would indicate there was a sesh on the sandy-sand gap yesterday. As far as the other jump, I heard Nick on the Turner was hitting it, but I didn't see anybody do it. I want to hit it badly...must bleed my brakes.:mumble:

Cool shots - especially the sequences - James! :cool:

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Awsome shots!! Ryan my hats off to you. You make stuff look easy on your 20. Hope your face is ok from your softies incident.

The new bike is pretty sweet James. Was cool to see Pips Steelhead as well. I really don't shift anymore maybe I need to jump to singlespeed.

Also anyone recommend a decent 6 in travel SC fork with a 20mmTA? Thinking the Junior is just to big.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
man that was an awsome sesh yesterday! cool pics guys, they look great! i wish i could have took my hardtail. bmx did just fine though. i wish you guys could have seen my face plant over at softies. it hurts so bad right now. i will be at the barn tonight(late sesh) on my BRAND NEW hardtail!

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
were is that new jump in the first pic jimbo posted? Is that at the very top above the sandy jump? Looks good who ever built it!

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
fuzzycatnuts said:
were is that new jump in the first pic jimbo posted? Is that at the very top above the sandy jump? Looks good who ever built it!
Its at the very top area, about 20 yards in. I think Pip and Andy built it....or at least I saw those guys digging when I got there.

James - Very cool shots. I like the effects and angles.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
DesuL said:
Also anyone recommend a decent 6 in travel SC fork with a 20mmTA? Thinking the Junior is just to big.
If your on a budget, get yourself last years 66rc in a 150. They can be had for as little as $350 these days. If money is no object, get this years 66RC2x in a 170 (same height as last years 150) This years 66's are just killer.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Just got home. Was a little wet and sketchy but wanted to hit the big table so bad.

As far as the fork goes, was talking about the 66's today. Just curious how the 170 is the same height as the 150 of last years? id pay more just to keep my headangle the same as a smaller travel fork.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
DesuL said:
Just got home. Was a little wet and sketchy but wanted to hit the big table so bad.

As far as the fork goes, was talking about the 66's today. Just curious how the 170 is the same height as the 150 of last years? id pay more just to keep my headangle the same as a smaller travel fork.
They are using the low crowns this year on both the 888 and 66 models. The 66 is actually 30mm shorter than last years.
So if you want to get really technical, this years 170 (7inch) is actually shorter A/C than last years 150 (6 inch).

This years 6" version (150) might be perfect for you.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Snacks said:
Dang, how do you guys learn to jump so well? I almost barf before every run from nerves:dead:
It's EASY!!! Start small and then gradually work your way up to bigger and better. Don't think negative thoughts - you'll have plenty of time to ponder them if/when something DOES go wrong.:D

That jump was Pip's brain-child. Dave, Steve and I helped him put it together. Likewise for the jump around the corner from there. The rain we're getting now will only make it better!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DBR X6 RIDER said:
It's EASY!!! Start small and then gradually work your way up to bigger and better. Don't think negative thoughts - you'll have plenty of time to ponder them if/when something DOES go wrong.:D

That jump was Pip's brain-child. Dave, Steve and I helped him put it together. Likewise for the jump around the corner from there. The rain we're getting now will only make it better!
Ya, I guess I need to get out there more. It's just different when you are riding at SST vs. on a gnarly DH trail. I can do almost all the drops at SST, but like today DH riding I second guess my self on all of them on the trails:mumble:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Snacks said:
Ya, I guess I need to get out there more. It's just different when you are riding at SST vs. on a gnarly DH trail. I can do almost all the drops at SST, but like today DH riding I second guess my self on all of them on the trails:mumble:
It's all about riding often. I was quite pathetic a few years ago as far as the jumping thing. Just kept plugging at it and from there it has been a continuous wave of shocking myself at some of the things I'm able to do.

It's amazing what you can do when you let the bike do most of it for you!

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
DBR X6 RIDER said:
It's amazing what you can do when you let the bike do most of it for you!
um... well that can sometimes=(face plants at softies:mumble: ) but i know what your saying!

might be going out to the flow saturday if the weather holds up friday and saturday! oh and i will be on my brand new hardtail that has never seen dirt!

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
im going friday ryan going to try and through a suicide no hander insted of a oo crap no hander haha bring your kona's ill be at skooter barn tomorrow for bikes only

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
sweat me too!(skate barn). ya man you should get that suicide tomarow at the barn! i have got a couple of new ones for ya too!

for some reason i can't figure out who you are(bikerpunk). i know for a fact that i know you in person, but still who are you:help: (i know, i know i'm stupid like that):hot: . you are the one that ran into the tree at the flow the other day because of your derailer, then you randomlly said ''food'' LOL. i think that was you?

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
well i have a pig on my bar on the big bike, i ride a steel head my names kris my favorite color is plaid. what is this the dating game haha

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Props on the building at SST. That place is too much fun right now!

I would like to make a suggestion (even though I never help build there). You guys should plant some flowers or nice shrubbery to fill in some of the hagard areas in between all the lines. The overall appearance of the place is starting to look "less innocent" and being in a park, the overall appearance of the area will be a big factor when the inveitable happens and the powers that be start to question all the issues an area like the flow zone brings about.

Actually I'll stop by the nursery this week and see what I can pick up for cheap.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
bikerpunk98199 said:
well i have a pig on my bar on the big bike, i ride a steel head my names kris my favorite color is plaid. what is this the dating game haha
how would you know this was like a dating game? oooohhh "LOL"

i had a fealing this was you! i will see you at the barn tonight! i will be on my brand new hardtail!

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Tootrikky said:

I would like to make a suggestion (even though I never help build there). You guys should plant some flowers or nice shrubbery to fill in some of the hagard areas in between all the lines. The overall appearance of the place is starting to look "less innocent" and being in a park, the overall appearance of the area will be a big factor when the inveitable happens and the powers that be start to question all the issues an area like the flow zone brings about.

Actually I'll stop by the nursery this week and see what I can pick up for cheap.
Thats a good idea, I try and cover up the holes I make but all my effort and time goes into mantianing and improving the jumps. Maybe some of the other people that ride there but never build would help you. A lot of stuff will grow back in spring in summer, this time of year it always looks bare.

That reminds me those signs worked good, there still intact. They could be bigger so a rider would see the warning while riding down the trail. I plain on taking some of the trash out of there next time I come as well.

fuzzycatnuts said:
If you dont build then why dont you do that? I try and cover up the holes I make but all my effort and time goes into mantianing and improving the jumps. Maybe some of the other people that ride there and dont ever lift a shovel could help you.
nick works on vashon and commutes...then rides the GNARLy trails, he has worked on plenty other trails, but the guy has no time.....but he means well! I dont build there eiother, the stuff I want is too big for there...oh wait Aj and Is idea has been built by someone else....:rolleyes: :)

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
The stuff I want to build is a little big for there as well, Bibbs were do you want to build at. I gave up the spot across the street becuse hillbillys keepet driving all over the jumps.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Tootrikky said:

As Kim mentioned, this time of the year is usually barren looking out there. All the same, I like the idea.:thumb:
Pip & I were trying to preserve some ferns we encountered near the top just beyond the takeoff of a jump. They didn't make it, but the ones alongside the trail help up.

Is it Thursday yet?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Probably should have not tooted my horn, but you guys have a good thing going. There is a lot of work in a concentrated area which makes the spot very easy for haters to single out and point fingers at. Making it look "park like" will be helpful in keeping the management off of your back and giving you a leg to stand on. i.e. Not only do we have an area in which we can engage in unique, healthy, and fun sport, but we maintain and upkeep the park atmosphere of the area as well.

Sorry about beating the horse to death.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Work on Vashon?
COme Check out our little DH trail down by the skatepark.
I can't vouch that it is very good right now, I haven't ridden it in a while. anywhoo it goes gully berm step up pedal pedal whupwhupwhup swoooooosh down a gully terrible soft berm lose all your speed
pedal pedal
Jump over a crevasse, no more than a ten foot gap though, and that's it. Less than a miinute.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
ioscope said:
Work on Vashon?
COme Check out our little DH trail down by the skatepark.
I can't vouch that it is very good right now, I haven't ridden it in a while. anywhoo it goes gully berm step up pedal pedal whupwhupwhup swoooooosh down a gully terrible soft berm lose all your speed
pedal pedal
Jump over a crevasse, no more than a ten foot gap though, and that's it. Less than a miinute.

Went over there in dec/nov. Still have that nasty clay on my shoes. Only found the jump mound thingies though....no little DH trail?