Quantcast

Commuter Monkeys - Ever had another biker hit you?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I was coming back to work from lunch and to check on how last nights brew was holding up when I hit the last light before my office. I am minding my own business, doing a track stand for the duration of the light when all of the sudden I feel a bump on my bike from behind. Hard enough to where I don't have enough time to react and un-clip. I fell to the ground and look back and some asshole is sitting there staring/glaring at me (with his front tire still touching my rear tire) like I hit him with my bike. I picked myself up and rode on. After getting to work I checked out my bike and noticed when I fell, I scratched my fork a bit. Ugh. Stupid hipsters. I hate them. Learn how to ride your freaking bike.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
What a prick, I would have unleashed the fury. That reminds of that vid where the two guys were duking it out in road shoes.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I was coming back to work from lunch and to check on how last nights brew was holding up when I hit the last light before my office. I am minding my own business, doing a track stand for the duration of the light when all of the sudden I feel a bump on my bike from behind. Hard enough to where I don't have enough time to react and un-clip. I fell to the ground and look back and some asshole is sitting there staring/glaring at me (with his front tire still touching my rear tire) like I hit him with my bike. I picked myself up and rode on. After getting to work I checked out my bike and noticed when I fell, I scratched my fork a bit. Ugh. Stupid hipsters. I hate them. Learn how to ride your freaking bike.
Seeing me 2 mins beforehand cursed you to get hit by a hipster.

They glare at me on my road bike. I flip them off. The worst offenders around here I've noticed are people on the wrong side of the road. I generally just play chicken with them.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
One time, while riding to work, I had a drunk guy ride right into me. He was coming at me, wrong side of the road, I tried to get out of his way, but I think he just fixated on me and we collided. I jumped up and was about to go off on the guy, but he gave me this completely glazed over drunk look...he had no idea what had happened.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One time during Critical Mass, my buddy and I just descending Lombard Street, and some idiot on a non-functioning bike slams into us. My buddy took the worst of the hit, and I was ready to pummel the other guy.

But he was totally sprawled on the ground, drunk off his ass. I left his and his karma on the street.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
One time during Critical Mass, my buddy and I just descending Lombard Street, and some idiot on a non-functioning bike slams into us. My buddy took the worst of the hit, and I was ready to pummel the other guy.

But he was totally sprawled on the ground, drunk off his ass. I left his and his karma on the street.
Sorry about that.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It'd really depend on the exact circumstances. In general, fighting is the fool's option.
Didn't sound like there was time for rehabilitation...

Granted I do have a temper, but no remorse in knocking over a fellow rider is the same as someone tripping and pushing you to the ground at the grocery store for no reason. Had I seen either of these situations unfold I would have intervened the same way I would seeing any underdog (child or chick for example) being roughed up.

Violence makes a very clear and quick statement when reasoning after the fact would prove fruitless.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
TH, I have to ask, are you sure your track-stand didn't include you rolling backwards into the guy? I see that at lights in SF all the time. Nobody should be too close but I've had people roll back 3-4 feet into my front wheel.

I've had people occasionally tap my wheel at a light but they never knocked me over. I've had to shoulder check a few "salmon" (i.e., morons going the wrong way and not yielding). (When it's you or me getting pushed into traffic and you are going the wrong way, well, you lose.) I've had ipod-wearing clowns get sketchy and pissed when they didn't hear me call a pass, and a few runners have taken swings at me when the same thing happened. (Seriously, ipods and big city traffic don't mix. Really they don't.)

But the Golden Gate Bridge is absolutely the worst. I have had too many sketchy things happen up there to count. And it's not JUST the hordes of tourists on rental bikes, the asshattery up there defies prediction.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TH, I have to ask, are you sure your track-stand didn't include you rolling backwards into the guy? I see that at lights in SF all the time. Nobody should be too close but I've had people roll back 3-4 feet into my front wheel.

I've had people occasionally tap my wheel at a light but they never knocked me over. I've had to shoulder check a few "salmon" (i.e., morons going the wrong way and not yielding). (When it's you or me getting pushed into traffic and you are going the wrong way, well, you lose.) I've had ipod-wearing clowns get sketchy and pissed when they didn't hear me call a pass, and a few runners have taken swings at me when the same thing happened. (Seriously, ipods and big city traffic don't mix. Really they don't.)

But the Golden Gate Bridge is absolutely the worst. I have had too many sketchy things happen up there to count. And it's not JUST the hordes of tourists on rental bikes, the asshattery up there defies prediction.
I give "salmon" a few comments. I've ended up going the wrong way, and I pull over to let the cyclists pass safely.

But the GGB is a death trap, particularly when the bike side is not open yet.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
It'd really depend on the exact circumstances. In general, fighting is the fool's option, and TH's response was honorable.
Someone rep JBP for me. IMO honor is too often ignored/discounted these days.

I would have been pretty mad. Did you say anything?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

Nothing says "Oh Lucy, you just ****ed up now" like sliding these on as you slowly walk towards him. Maybe a few "Boy, I'm gonna make you squeal like a pig"'s thrown in there for effect too.

I'm just saying, if its worth doing, its worth doing in such a manner that the target ****s himself before you even get to him.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Violence makes a very clear and quick statement when reasoning after the fact would prove fruitless.
Exactly, I would of punched that prick right in his mouth. He hits you, knocks you down and then gives you a dirty look, fVck him.

:popcorn:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Too bad you didn't have some coffee!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I dont know how I would have reacted.. it would have been based upon my mood and if I got hurt when I fell..
Most likely I would have gotten up a an asked "what the f*ck??" followed by "what are you retarded??"

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
It was a down slope and I'm not on a fixed gear bike. I wasn't rolling backwards.
i think you missed an opportunity to make this world a better place.

next time, kindly act accordingly by applying many suggestions upthread.

kumbaya is not an option

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Maybe next time I will confront the idiot.

Just wasn't in the mood for it and I was more surprised than anything at the moment.
Violence is a ridiculous response, but telling the guy "Get off your bike and walk next time" is a good one.

BigT

Chimp
A guy almost hit me. I was waiting at a stop sign to cross a 2 lane one was street. When it was clear, I started to go and I hear someone screaming at me. A guy on a bike was going down the one way street against the flow of traffic.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A guy almost hit me. I was waiting at a stop sign to cross a 2 lane one was street. When it was clear, I started to go and I hear someone screaming at me. A guy on a bike was going down the one way street against the flow of traffic.
What a great story!