Quantcast

commuting on your trail bike

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
does anyone else commute on their XC bike or is it just me? I have some street tires on my whip that I throw on for road riding to and fro, but its such a pain to change out tires all the time. I find my self riding less and less on the trails.....well that is, until I can get my rig fixed up after my stupid crash, but thats another problem.
I found a old school rockhopper that im going to make into my street fighter, I just have to pick it up and put some new parts on it. Well, found if you count taking from my dad who just lets it park in his garage ;) Until I get to pick it up and swap the parts on, its only one ride for me.... :(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I used to but there were two problems:

A) tires that are good for the road are not good for the trail, and vice versa. So it was either suffer with the tires, or suffer changing them

B) I was always too paranoid that someone was going to cut my lock and walk off with my bike.

Solution? A $75 road bike that's in the mail to me from a fellow :monkey:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'll commute on either my xc or road bikes depending upon my mood and what I'm doing after work. If I'm not going for a road ride after work, I prefer my mtb cuz then I can ride off the road and away from the crazy, rude, mean, unaware muther fvckers! I hate cagers (even tho I own one).

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
I live and work in the city of Rochester. I commute on my DH/FR bike and take the fun way. The urban here is great. I also get to huck around for an hour during lunch.

Life is good

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I had the same problem until I bought a cheap set of wheels and put my Tom Slicks on them. After that, it was just a matter of switching wheels and letting the brake cable out a bit.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I did the same as BikeGeek...got a cheap wheelset (<$100 for the pair) and put slicks on them. Switching the cassette to my trail wheelset takes less than a couple minutes and it's just a matter of tweaking the brakes a little (though I guess that could be a bit of a bigger issue if you use discs).
Has been the perfect solution for me.