Quantcast

Commy Clash as an all around bike?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Hello fellow ruxxers

I am selling both my '16 NS fuzz and '16 Canfield balance in order to get one bike that can do bike parks all day, and a pedally day in the local woods.
I am not a fan of switching bikes. I'd like to have one bike so I can get used to the feel.

My budget is quite low, at $3k (my other hobby of astrophotography is stupid expensive) and the commencal clash ride '21 fits the bill.

my two concerns are, climbing and sizing. I am 5'10" at 240lbs

I am not a serious xc kind of person. I would rather have a bike that rips at the park, and the clash seems like that. My other buddies are running transition patrols and spires.

What ya'll think

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hello fellow ruxxers

I am selling both my '16 NS fuzz and '16 Canfield balance in order to get one bike that can do bike parks all day, and a pedally day in the local woods.
I am not a fan of switching bikes. I'd like to have one bike so I can get used to the feel.

My budget is quite low, at $3k (my other hobby of astrophotography is stupid expensive) and the commencal clash ride '21 fits the bill.

my two concerns are, climbing and sizing. I am 5'10" at 240lbs

I am not a serious xc kind of person. I would rather have a bike that rips at the park, and the clash seems like that. My other buddies are running transition patrols and spires.

What ya'll think

What are the US prices for lowest models of Propain Spindrift and Canyon Torque Alu? As they seem a bit more pedally in their design but still big burly bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah Im going for a smaller 160mm bike just because I've seen friends do big park stuff on those plus I dont want to suffer on the uphills but if I wanted to go for 180mm travel I'd probably chose the Spindrift as my #1 choise since Propain supposedly is less of a PITA to deal with than other d2c brands

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The Clash would be a lot to pedal around. What percent of parks vs local trails would you do?

If you do much regular trails, I would lean more towards the Meta SX or Meta AM.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The Clash would be a lot to pedal around. What percent of parks vs local trails would you do?

If you do much regular trails, I would lean more towards the Meta SX or Meta AM.
SX would be a better option unless the fixed the short cs - tt issue on the AM. Unless you are willing to go size down on the am

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I think @scrublover has or had one?

yes, though mine is the prior generation, 2019 model with the rear pivot in-line with the rear axle. it pedals very well, though i can't compare it to the other bikes mentioned.

it's not my caily driver, but i built it so that i could ride it local and hit the lifts without destoying my trailbike. works well for that, since i can't really justify a full DH bike. i just have a 2nd wheelset with DH tires vs. the daily driver EXO front/DD rear. i'm also running mine as a mullet. it's overkill for much of my local riding, but for certain places (like trumbull/ninham) it's the bike i take.

it would IMO make a great all arounder for what he is describing.

size wise i'm no help - the newer version is longer/slacker than mine. for reference though, i'm 5'9" on the prior size large. seems that is about similar to the new size medium. at your size, i'd go for the large, but all depends on how you like your bikes to fit, right? and your current bike sizes.

if it were to be my only bike, i'd likely go for one of the meta am or sx bikes and have a light and heavy duty wheel/tire setup. all depends on how much pedaling vs bike park you want. my smaller bike is a metatr29.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Howsabout a 160mm status? Much more heal clearance than any commencal is nice if you are actually pedaling.
Don’t forget Specialized is DTC now, too.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I had a 2019 as well. Great bike, I used it as my resort bike; only replaced it because I bought a dedicated DH bike again. It actually climbed really well for what it was. I trail rode it a bit with EXOs when my trail bike was down. Also handled everything I threw at it in Whistler and Northstar fine. I'm 5'10" and found the large to be comfortable.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Thanks for the replies, guys. I pulled the trigger on a Large, and they even called me after to confirm a few things and asked if I had any questions; nice touch.

I will prepare for some painful climbs, but my mentality is that I would rather be overbiked in local woods than underbiked at a park ( Im a bit of a park rat )

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Commencal looks like they have one or two xl 2019 Clashes left- with the "split pivot" rear ends, btw.

I hope a couple Full 27.5 bikes stay around. Still a bit more fun on teh gronk