Quantcast

Component vs HDMI

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ok so I just got my HD cable box.

I was surprised to see that in the instructions for the box, it recommended using the Component ports rather than the HDMI port for superior picture quality.

FOr some reason I always though that HDMI was the current be-all-end-all for picture quality. And as I said, the box does have an HDMI output.

Would that be due to the box itself? Perhaps I've been given a box with old technology or something?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ok so I just got my HD cable box.

I was surprised to see that in the instructions for the box, it recommended using the Component ports rather than the HDMI port for superior picture quality.

FOr some reason I always though that HDMI was the current be-all-end-all for picture quality. And as I said, the box does have an HDMI output.

Would that be due to the box itself? Perhaps I've been given a box with old technology or something?
The marketing seems to have worked. Just like when CD sound was supposed to be better than vinyl. It really depends on your setup, but there's no reason the component won't give you great picture.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
The marketing seems to have worked. Just like when CD sound was supposed to be better than vinyl. It really depends on your setup, but there's no reason the component won't give you great picture.
Oh I'm not complaining. The picture with component is just fine. i was just surprised to see Videotron recommend component over HDMI. I was just wondering or i had been misinformed about HDMI's superiority.

And as a side note, I was horrified last night to see that we canadians are getting screwed again. Have you figured how the US feeds work? ie: watching NBC shows, on the NBC channel but are being fed through Global?

So I'm watching SNL last night. I switch the the NBCHD channel. It's blacked out. I go the regular NBC channel and SNL is playing, but through Global. I can only presume that Global does not have HD, and due to whatever licensing agreement, they have to run SNL though Global in Quebec. So they just black out the HD feed until the show is over.

gotta love it

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its for technical support reasons. HDMI has more issues with signal being out of spec from brand to brand (TV manufacturers will say its the cable box co and vice versa) so they are tricking you in to using component so they'll get less support calls. HDMI is better.

ndirt

Chimp
Feb 28, 2010
ID
HDMI is better (audio/video in one cable and can carry 1080p video), but component can carry a 720p signal just fine (not 1080p though) most cable and sat. signals are in 720p so you really would not notice a difference if you used the component's over hdmi for cable. Just use the HDMI if you have one.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually, component video is perfectly capable of carrying 1080p. It's only digital rights management that is preventing it from doing so.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah analog standards can easily carry even higher than 1080p but standards have emerged to piss all over fair use laws - HDCP in the case of most digital connections.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
HDMI is better (audio/video in one cable and can carry 1080p video), but component can carry a 720p signal just fine (not 1080p though) most cable and sat. signals are in 720p so you really would not notice a difference if you used the component's over hdmi for cable. Just use the HDMI if you have one.
as BV and syadasti pointed out, component can easily transfer 1080p, but with current HDCP material, most new tv sets will not accept a 1080p signal.

HDMI is "better" because it eliminates up to 11 separate cables and can carry the newer signal formats that are popping up on BD discs (though most tv's cannot display these newer formats)

most cable and sat providers output 1080i and 720p. Dish Network displays in 1080p with some material and DirecTV's new satellite should be broadcasting 1080p anytime now.

MMike. i personally prefer a component signal over HDMI, particularly with my Comcast boxes and my LCoS tv's. But HDMI does eliminate the need for so many cables

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Sigh....well it looks like the point is moot for a little while. It would seem that the box they sent me is defective. It kept freezing on me. And it's also a PVR....(what we call Tivo here). We had recorded some stuff. I tried to get the list of recorded stuff and it gave me a message that it was malfunctioning.

Nothing can ever be easy. Maybe I shoulda used the HDMI...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
most boxes that cable companies give you are crap. ive had lots of boxes break on me.

using the HDMI would have prevented it from breaking.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
As I recall, there are a couple different feeds for Global. You just have to find the HD version. Kinda annoying, but positive that there's one out there. Idiot.

I'm still suffering with non-HD here. Sucks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oh I'm not complaining. The picture with component is just fine. i was just surprised to see Videotron recommend component over HDMI. I was just wondering or i had been misinformed about HDMI's superiority.

And as a side note, I was horrified last night to see that we canadians are getting screwed again. Have you figured how the US feeds work? ie: watching NBC shows, on the NBC channel but are being fed through Global?

So I'm watching SNL last night. I switch the the NBCHD channel. It's blacked out. I go the regular NBC channel and SNL is playing, but through Global. I can only presume that Global does not have HD, and due to whatever licensing agreement, they have to run SNL though Global in Quebec. So they just black out the HD feed until the show is over.

gotta love it
I'm not convinced of HDMI's "superiority." It's great to have only one cable, but other things annoy me about it. Again, it really depends on your setup as to which is going to give you a better picture and audio.

I just have regular cable from Videotron at the moment, so I haven't experienced what you're seeing.

Had nice HD in Berkeley however.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm not convinced of HDMI's "superiority." It's great to have only one cable, but other things annoy me about it. Again, it really depends on your setup as to which is going to give you a better picture and audio.

I just have regular cable from Videotron at the moment, so I haven't experienced what you're seeing.

Had nice HD in Berkeley however.
So when are you going to switch your monitor back to VGA, instead of HDMI/DVI? There is a distinct difference - I'm sure you've noticed it versus analog VGA connections on an LCD monitor (which is a digital display technology).

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
sorry, that was sarcasm

Why? Do you actually notice a difference in picture quality, that makes HDMI look worse?
yes. from the broadcast i get from Comcast, component looks better on my sets than HDMI does. when it comes to watching BD movies, the HDMI is the only way to go.

with newer formats gaining momentum in TV sales, HDMI will be more important in the future than it is now...particularly with 3D and such.

right now, the audio following of HDMI is benefiting from sources than can only be played back via HDMI

ndirt

Chimp
Feb 28, 2010
ID
But, most people that have to ask if they should use HDMI or component will never notice a difference in picture quality, so i recommend hdmi to them, you really cannot go wrong with it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But, most people that have to ask if they should use HDMI or component will never notice a difference in picture quality, so i recommend hdmi to them, you really cannot go wrong with it.
okay?
i recommend it because people are stupid and 1 cable is easier to explain