Quantcast

componets suggestions for trail riding

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
I have a Specialized Rock hopper 1994-96 (can't rember when i got it)

the 7 speed shifters are craped out. so i am looking at replaing the drive train / wheels / and possable front fork. suggestions? i want to keep the weight down as much as possable. and i just put avid sd-7 and arch rival brakes on it.
o yes it is a crome moly frame.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Are you attached to the frame? It looks like you're planning on replacing nearly every part on the frame. It will probably be cheaper just to buy a whole new bike.

But...if you're not going to buy a new bike...What's your budget here? For a solid drivetrain, check SRAM X.9/X.7 or Shimano XT. For a good trail riding wheelset, I'd advise either Mavic 717 or 819 rims to Chris Kings or if those are too much, perhaps some XT's.

How lightweight of a fork? If you're looking into super-light noodle forks, check the Rockshox SID. Manitou Skarebs weigh a bit more (a little over 3 lbs), but they're also quite a bit stiffer than a SID. If you want to get heavier, look at the Fox Floats and maybe an F80X. One of the new Rockshox Reba forks may also work for you.

But once again, unless you're attached to this frame and have lots of money, I'd advise buying a new bike. It will most likely be cheaper.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I agree...you would probalby spend a little less than a new bike...price it all out first...personally I would just go with a new bike...there are a ton of great deals out there...D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For a frame that old, I would consider getting an old-school Marzocchi from Ebay . Getting a sub-3 lb fork is wasted on a heavier frame. Also a decent fork is going to be $400+.

You can buy a 1999-2001 Bomber for under $200, rebuild it with little effort, and have a solid front end for many years.

There are not many options for drivetrain or wheels. Buying used gears and wheels is a crapshoot, and there is still a big market for 8 speed equipment. I'd shop it for Deore or X.7 stuff

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Spend $800 on a hardtail and you're set for trail riding. Good tires, a hydraulically damped fork made by a reputable company, quality drivetrain and wheels.
For a FS bike, expect to spend about 1000 on something reasonable.

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
i am attached to to bike. and i know exactly how it reacts. and it isn't realy heavy eather. i will try and get it on the bike scale at college. it is double or triple bunted (haha it was considered light when my parents bought it for me.)

i found out that i can get Ritchey products through the UMD cycling club sponsership. how are their wheelsets? i am look at the WCS Grider XC (for under 1/2 of the retail price).
and the BB and crank was replaced in 2000 with shamino xt or xl thanks to the recall on the cranks and BB cracking.
the prices on the front shocks scared me. dam they are expensive. i don't have the money to buy a new bike unfortunaly. i have been googled eyeing stumpjumper but i can aford to slowly upgrade what i have.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
CChase86 said:
Just make sure you'll be able to use the fork on that frame. That sounds like an old frame to use a 1 1/8" threadless head tube...
Good point, but Marzocchi does make a 1 inch fork, the MX Comp. Be sure before you slap on a new fork...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
crackhead said:
i am attached to to bike. and i know exactly how it reacts. and it isn't realy heavy eather.
Do yourself a favor and get unattached.

Either that or go completely el-cheapo and visit a few cycle swaps. Find some either 7-speed or newer 8-speed stuff for cheap. Get an old Zoke fork like someone suggested.

That frame will serve you for years. They're pretty much indestructible.

-S.S.-

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Either that or go completely el-cheapo and visit a few cycle swaps. Find some either 7-speed or newer 8-speed stuff for cheap. Get an old Zoke fork like someone suggested.

That frame will serve you for years. They're pretty much indestructible.

-S.S.-
u are right the frame is indestructible. i have landed some dam scarry jumps when i biked part of the Appalachian Trail and not hurt the bike at all.
oh the headset is threaded. I cleaned the cassette and chain yesterday night and they are still in perfect condition. So, I will probly try and find some 7 speed shifters and just use the bike for commuting.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
crackhead said:
u are right the frame is indestructible. i have landed some dam scarry jumps when i biked part of the Appalachian Trail and not hurt the bike at all.
oh the headset is threaded. I cleaned the cassette and chain yesterday night and they are still in perfect condition. So, I will probly try and find some 7 speed shifters and just use the bike for commuting.
That could be bult up to a fine commuter / townie bike. Slap some slicks on it and have fun. I like to make things last, but mtn bikes evolved too much over the past decade to swap out all the stuff you want / need.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
crackhead said:
<snip>I cleaned the cassette and chain yesterday night and they are still in perfect condition. So, I will probly try and find some 7 speed shifters and just use the bike for commuting.
Do yourself a favor and find some old Deore DX/XT thumbshifters. They had an indexed as well as friction mode. They are absolutely indestructible. They'll last as long as the frame if not longer.... :thumb:

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
HarryCallahan said:
<snip> I like to make things last, but mtn bikes evolved too much over the past decade to swap out all the stuff you want / need.
They actually haven't all that much. If you look at the history, the last decade has been mostly tweaking of existing designs along with some minor new advances.......

They have gotten cheaper, though - which is why it probably doesn't make sense to swap out all that stuff in an attempt to create a trail bike.

-S.S.-

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
HarryCallahan said:
Slap some slicks on it and have fun.
i did that over the weekend. i rode with the campus bike club on their group ride (road). i slowed them down though bc of not having high enough gears. but when we did a skilles training class. i could get the hole shot going into the first turn. It was fun bing able to holding back everybody especaly the guys with the carbon fiber road bikes.
:D