Quantcast

Compressing Boxxer for air travel?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My travel case reports it can support up to a 1300mm wheelbase.
My Commencal Supreme mullet has a 1320mm wheelbase and the rear caliper/mount hangs behind the rear axle by ~30mm.

Is it a terrible idea that will kill baby seals if I remove the air from the fork and compress it (held with a ratchet strap?) to get the wheelbase low enough to fit into the case for air travel?

Case is an Evoc Bike Bag Pro.
I may need to do similar with my wife's bike as it's the same model and has a wheelbase of 1290, so the caliper/mount might be in the way.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If the damper is like the latest Fox ones with a weep hole it could intake a little air, that would probably sort itself out with use. But you probably have an IFP or Bladder so you should be fine.

Where ya going?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I hope not, since I've done it for years.

You can also do the same with an air rear shock or...just take off the shock and put a short piece of PVC pipe in it's place or something to shorten the wheelbase (on designs that don't extend).

You could even turn the fork around, partially compress so the brake arch isn't hitting obviously, but that'd shorten the wheelbase too.

Lots of inventive **** you can do.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wait, where are you flying with DH bikes, eh?
SPILL IT

Because we all want to go.
Contemplating Canadia this coming summer to visit family in Sun Peaks.

Then remembered the Fitz lift is being replaced so Whizzle will be a bigger shit show that it's become. I don't think I've DH'd there since 2014...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
In and out of NYC commuter local rail was always pretty good. I used it most weekends for riding.

Cross country rail...yeah, nope.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Boston's Commuter rail == :fie: :fie: :fie:
I lived in the City, so never had to use it for commuting. But Metro North was pretty good at weekends for getting up to the Westchester County MTB areas and for incorporating into road ride routes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I lived in the City, so never had to use it for commuting. But Metro North was pretty good at weekends for getting up to the Westchester County MTB areas and for incorporating into road ride routes.
I have friends visting from yurp who refused to ride on MBTA trains ever again. Takes just one ride to figure out MA uses a 19th century transportation system.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You should try the trains in the US of A if you want to experience a Greek tragedy.
The only good thing about PL trains is left over from the communist times. All the bad things are post communist. We are going the US way of "lets focus on shiny looking projects but lets not make them usable". The govt bought fancy high speed trains but only put 2 bike spots per whole train on them (and not enough storage for large bags too...) So they reworked them but then they added bike storage places where... 90% of the bikes don't fit... It is a bit funny all the things that work better in Poland than in US happened because of communism. Generally I'm super annoyed since there is an amazing trail network in a city where the train would be an optimal option but PKP says fuck you you will need to guard your bike the whole way with your life.

German trains are kinda cool but with a bike using them is a lottery. If you have to use 2 trains you might end up fucked because the 2nd train doesn't have space for your bike and you end up in the middle of nowhere...