Quantcast

Computer memory questions

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I just bought a new Dell dimension with a 2.13Ghz Dual core intel that has a 1066 bus speed. The memory that came with it is a Gig of 533 bus speed. I'm running Vista and its just as slow as the computer it replaced. so I'm thinking about buying some more memory. Now do I buy the 533 bus speed or spend money for the 1066 becuase that's what the processor runs at? And will the motherboard be able to handle memory that fast?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
My Athlon XP processor has a 533Mhz FSB, my memory is 266mhz though because there's a multiplier somewhere that makes it the same speed. I can't remember exactly what it's all about. I do remember at the time I bought the computer a lot of guys were buying 333 mhz memory so they could overclock their processors, over clocking requires the memory to run faster as well as the processor so a rule of thumb is to buy memory that is guaranteed to run faster than you expect to achieve with the processor. I decided I didn't really want to overclock so I stuck with memory that was an even multiple of the processor's FSB.

I'd say if you've already got 533mhz I'd add more of the same so you aren't spending more on memory that won't really do anything for you. I know Dell does some weird things with their systems, but putting in a bottleneck that big isn't one that I'd expect.