Quantcast

computer problems

stoner_303

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Colorado
can i take my computer into a shop and get it like....overhauled? for example;i have almost zero disk space left, and more spyware than i can deal with. so basically, it is sooo slow. i cant even get into the "add/delete prgrams" deal, cuz it will just do nothing. but, i have hours and hours and hours of video on it. (i have one tape for my camera, and i've taped over most of it, smart eh?) so, could they clean it up, delete everything except my video files, my video program, and all the necessary things?

stoner_303

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Colorado
its too slow to do anything tho. i have windows xp, when i go into my account, it wont do anything. all the other accounts are like that too. i cant get into a program to burn the files to dvd. i cant even get into the video files. it will pop up a blank window, and after three days of waiting, i give up. i have both spybot and adaware. they work, but i cant open them.

To answer your question, yes.

Easiest thing is probably to put in a second hard drive, which it sounds like you need anyway, install the operating system on that (while you're at it, install XP pro, not the home edition, then SP2, then all the security updates), then clean up the old drive as you please.

J

Sep 8, 2004
Actually, some spyware can cause that behaviour as well. Get adaware/spybot, restart in safe mode, then scan the system. Chances are its just malicious spyware/virii that are causing the trouble. Also, go in to your registry with regedit, and lookinto \hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run spyware tends to hide stuff there. Everything in that location will be run at startup, so remove everything that isn't important. (you might want to click file and export your registry for backup purposes first though)

Most computer places will rip you off when it comes to that stuff. If you do go to a store to have it done, make sure its not a chain store. It'd be like taking a demo 9 to a huffy dealer.

-James.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
johnbryanpeters said:
Easiest thing is probably to put in a second hard drive, which it sounds like you need anyway
If your HD is full, taking it to a shop won't fix that, so JBP's advice to get a 2nd HD is good. Once you've backed all your file up to that, I'd just take your Windows install disk and reformat the original drive and reinstall Windows.