Quantcast

Congressman resigns after e-mails questioned

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
You cannot judge whether rights where violated until you see the terms of use for the email system he was using at the time. Organizations explicitly note electronic communication policies - ie whether emails are their property, not the user's.
Plus, does he have privacy rights over correspondence that he sent to the boy? If the boy and his family turn in the emails....It's not like he can claim spousal privilege, even if he did want to be with this boy.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
I thought some of the GOP told him to quit it about a year ago? There were at least a half dozen of them that knew about up to about a year ago...
It's more important in the "moral party" to close ranks and maintain plurality in Congress than to do what is right apparently.

Note: That's not to say that the Dems wouldn't have done the same thing.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
Either way, people want to draw him up from both sides.

Congress can't even grasp that the Internet is not a truck you just pile things on, let alone complex things like online usage and privacy :brows:

RenegadeRick

It's more important in the "moral party" to close ranks and maintain plurality in Congress than to do what is right apparently.
Maybe they were doing what they thought was right. Here is another recent example of a republican pedophile.
http://www.coloradoconfidential.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=A19E7DA91700DED4D28DE1F58920B89D?diaryId=749

I'm sure they would. Protecting your own seems to be what it is all about.

RenegadeRick

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i can't believe i forgot to check the blog of our most notable log-cabin republican:

he's all over foley like a gay congressman on a page boy.

don't miss this untimely (or is is timeless?)
from america's most wanted

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
this one might stick:
"Resign, Mr. Speaker"

for 2 reasons:
washington times is cozy to conservatives
it's a freakin coverup, based in fact!

to me, this is no different that a papal-nambla nexis

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Foley is now claiming that he was abused as a kid by his priest.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15113942/

“This is part of his recovery,” attorney David Roth said of his disclosures about Foley. He declined to identify the clergyman or the church Foley attended, but said the abuse happened between the ages of 13 and 15.
Foley is a Roman Catholic and attended Sacred Heart School in Lake Worth, Fla.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
In order to make good with the GOP, Foley is now saying he is gay. So that proves the point that gay people are pedophiles and are products of their environment. See some good came out this....

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/10/04/100wir_a4foley001.cfm

He also acknowledged for the first time that the former congressman is gay, saying the disclosure was part of his client's "recovery."

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
In order to make good with the GOP, Foley is now saying he is gay. So that proves the point that gay people are pedophiles and are products of their environment. See some good came out this....

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/10/04/100wir_a4foley001.cfm
But it wasn't Foley's fault.. he was supposedly moe-lested by a priest.

Besides what the big deal? Foley is a democrat (see below)

Oops... looks like a demo is in trouble for questionable pix as well:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/04/AR2006100400287.html

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Of course there was something illegal.... the theft of the HD where the pictures resided and the blackmail that followed. Was Rove in WVA lately?
He didn't say anything about blackmail. It was the news that speculated on that. I think he's got it right. They were exposed as a political tool to try and embarrass him. We all know that being gay in most areas of the country is as much a death knell to a campaign as being atheist.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
He didn't say anything about blackmail. It was the news that speculated on that. I think he's got it right. They were exposed as a political tool to try and embarrass him. We all know that being gay in most areas of the country is as much a death knell to a campaign as being atheist.
"personal identification situation" I read that to mean he might want to lop off his weiner.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
"personal identification situation" I read that to mean he might want to lop off his weiner.
It could mean that or it could mean he is gay but struggling with it. He's married and has kids, so it very possibly means that he is just realizing that he is gay. Considering that he lives in an area where opponents would think that being gay was considered a strike against his campaign, it's not a stretch to think that maybe he grew up in an environment where being gay was automatically bad. He could have been suppressing it all these years, only to begin to realize it lately.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So, were any of those pics taken with underage boys? Was there anything illegal in there? Gee, I don't think so.
i don't believe this foley flap is mainly about legality, but ethics & abuse of power. and even if so, what laws were violated?

maybe you weren't going for that...?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
i don't believe this foley flap is mainly about legality, but ethics & abuse of power. and even if so, what laws were violated?

maybe you weren't going for that...?
I believe it is against the law to have sex with minors or to proposition them for sex. I think one could also stretch the emails into a charge of sexual harrassment, but that would be a stretch.

Certainly, the emails that broke the story may not be illegal, but were close to it, and Foley certainly had some illegal doings on his mind. The text messages, however, do point to his having done some possibly illegal things.

The other part of it is the cover-up a la the Catholic Church.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
More from the WaPo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/03/AR2006100301633.html

"Mark Foley knew that he could get away with this type of behavior with male pages because he was a congressman," said Beck-Heyman, who later worked in the Clinton White House and on Sen. John F. Kerry's presidential campaign. "But many people on Capitol Hill," including many Republican staffers, "have known for over 11 years about what was going on and chose to do nothing," he said.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I believe it is against the law to have sex with minors or to proposition them for sex. I think one could also stretch the emails into a charge of sexual harrassment, but that would be a stretch.

Certainly, the emails that broke the story may not be illegal, but were close to it, and Foley certainly had some illegal doings on his mind. The text messages, however, do point to his having done some possibly illegal things.

The other part of it is the cover-up a la the Catholic Church.
In the local news today (the GM of the NPR radio station):
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061004/NEWS03/610040337/1002

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Some DHS spokesman recently got arrested for the same exact thing.
If conviced in La:

Conviction of computer-aided solicitation of a minor carries a fine of up to $10,000 and two to 10 years in prison without benefit of parole, Natale said. Attempted carnal knowledge of a juvenile carries a sentence of $2,500 and/or five years in prison.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Top 10 Democrat Sex Scandals in Congress
Information compiled from the Washington Post, “Congressional Sex Scandals in History,” and other sources.

10. Sen. Daniel Inouye. The 82-year-old Hawaii Democrat was accused in the 1990s by numerous women of sexual harassment. Democrats cast doubt on the allegations and the Senate Ethics Committee dropped its investigation.

9. Former Rep. Gus Savage. The Illinois Democrat was accused of fondling a Peace Corps volunteer in 1989 while on a trip to Africa. The House Ethics Committee decided against disciplinary action in 1990.

8. Rep. Barney Frank. The outspoken Massachusetts Democrat hired a male prostitute who ran a prostitution service from Frank’s residence in the 1980s. Only two Democrats in the House of Representatives voted to censure him in 1990.

7. Former Sen. Brock Adams. The late Washington Democrat was forced to stop campaigning after numerous accusations of drugging, assault and rape, the first surfacing in 1988.

6. Former Rep. Fred Richmond. This New York Democrat was arrested in 1978 for soliciting sex from a 16-year-old. He remained in Congress and won re-election—before eventually resigning in 1982 after pleading guilty to tax evasion and drug possession.

5. Former Rep. John Young. The late Texas Democrat increased the salary of a staffer after she gave in to his sexual advances. The congressman won re-election in 1976 but lost two years later.

4. Former Rep. Wayne Hays. The late Ohio Democrat hired an unqualified secretary reportedly for sexual acts. Although he resigned from Congress, the Democratic House leadership stalled in removing him from the Administration Committee in 1976.

3. Former Rep. Gerry Studds. He was censured for sexual relationship with underage male page in 1983. Massachusetts voters returned him to office for six more terms.

2. Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office.

1. Sen. Teddy Kennedy. The liberal Massachusetts senator testified in defense of nephew accused of rape, invoking his family history to win over the jury in 1991.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from google.com (not google search bar): Top 10 Democrat Sex Scandals in Congress (no quotes). click "i'm feeling lucky".

yeah, i thought that was pretty funny, too.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
of course 'c' would be correct; 'tis simple math that one portion plus another portion would make for a sum greater than either.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Why democrats sound stupid when being outraged about Foley:

Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office.