Quantcast

Construction cost guesstimate for a new garage? aka man cave.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ballpark guesstimate on costs for a new 22'x24' garage with single 16'x9' garage door?

Would need to be constructed from scratch including the base concrete slab. Trying to get an idea of how many crack babies we'd need to sell on ebay for parts...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
$46,785.16 because you'll want a restroom in one corner so you may as well throw in a urinal next to the toilet, and maybe a sink because those are handy... also grated drip wells to contain the snow and ice as it melts off the vehicles. I had a garage like that once and it was fucking awesome.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
9’ is tall enough for the adventuremobile to inhabit it?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Steel? Wood? Garbage?
Siding, I'm told shingle roof will be cheaper than tin...
You running power off the panel in your house? Bringing in another service?
It has 110V running from the house to what we're going to knock down (old outbuilding), but as we're going to have to build fresh I'm considering getting 220V feed for possible future car charging or workshop needs. As that would require a 2' deep trench all the way from the house, new service from nearby pole might be the cheaper option.
9’ is tall enough for the adventuremobile to inhabit it?
The camper we're considering for possible future purchase is supposed to be 6'9", but if we want to allow room for a transit/sprinter we'd need the 10'...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’d hate for the garage to limit your choices, and I’d personally love a high roof camper...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
$48-$52 sqft
Spot on!

Slab or full foundation?

I've built mine to fit my Vanagon with a 9' door. Then sold the Vanagon and bought Sprinter which is 9'-2" ..... I would go 26' deep if long Sprinter/Transit is in your plans. Sprinter is 22' long.

I've been hoping to build an 18 x 18' shed, single garage door, one swing door, full foundation, insulated, 200 A service to replace a building that's falling down. Will probably go with a metal roof.

Purpose is storage of power equipment, larger tools like wheelbarrows, stepladders, and whatnot. May or may not add an inverter heat pump. so as to have some winter shop space...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I've been hoping to build an 18 x 18' shed, single garage door, one swing door, full foundation, insulated, 200 A service to replace a building that's falling down. Will probably go with a metal roof.

Purpose is storage of power equipment, larger tools like wheelbarrows, stepladders, and whatnot. May or may not add an inverter heat pump. so as to have some winter shop space...
Why full foundation?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:headbang:

I like the direction this thread is headed in. I too would recommend a 10' door.

Of course I have to ask, where will this garage be going?

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
That's the amount I'd read online as a likely cost, first contractor doubled that number...
Go to the local commercial construction material supplier or rental company talk to one of the salesman get the names of a reputable mason a framer and a roofer buy the materials yourself manage the workers pay their labor get the shell up and enclosed
Also make all contractors list you and your property as additionally insured on their policy

I've been a general contractor for 30 years and most people are looking to score on a job like that because you won't be a repeat customer

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Siding, I'm told shingle roof will be cheaper than tin...
You live in a fire land. Take that into consideration.

It has 110V running from the house to what we're going to knock down (old outbuilding), but as we're going to have to build fresh I'm considering getting 220V feed for possible future car charging or workshop needs. As that would require a 2' deep trench all the way from the house, new service from nearby pole might be the cheaper option.

The camper we're considering for possible future purchase is supposed to be 6'9", but if we want to allow room for a transit/sprinter we'd need the 10'...
We spit balled adding to the house in HR until we figured out that you couldn't and it was looking to be around $35k for one that was integrated into the house. Are you thinking at the end of the drive by the existing garage or down the hill? Having to carve out hill?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
We're on very dense clay soil. It moves a lot both with soil and moisture. Any slab-built structure in the Champlain Valley is likely to fail. I'm thinking five feet below grade:View attachment 128403 View attachment 128404
1. use that "basement" space to create a cistern.
2. install a passive solar heat collector on the garage
3. use the cistern-water to store thermal energy
4. ...
5. profit!

edited to add: I have a buddy who did this. He uses the stored energy to pre-heat the water going into his water heater. He designed and built his heat collector himself (his "shed" is like nothing I've ever seen before... two story barn, lathe, mill, I think he has a CNC machine now, insulated, heated, the whole 9 yards). He also has a small wind turbine, solar panels, a solar wall, and a Tesla. Before he got the Tesla, he was fully off-grid. Since getting the Tesla, I'm not sure. The ironic thing is his wife works for Hydro-Québec!

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You live in a fire land. Take that into consideration.

We spit balled adding to the house in HR until we figured out that you couldn't and it was looking to be around $35k for one that was integrated into the house. Are you thinking at the end of the drive by the existing garage or down the hill? Having to carve out hill?
If the mountainside goes up in smoke nothing will save it :)

There's a 2-stall horse barn down the hill that's going to get put on craigslist :), then there will need to be some dirt moving done to lower that area closer to road level. Wife already wants to have some of the dirt moved to the top of our property for the pump track construction.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
1. use that "basement" space to create a cistern.
2. install a passive solar heat collector on the garage
3. use the cistern-water to store thermal energy
4. ...
5. profit!

edited to add: I have a buddy who did this. He uses the stored energy to pre-heat the water going into his water heater. He designed and built his heat collector himself (his "shed" is like nothing I've ever seen before... two story barn, lathe, mill, I think he has a CNC machine now, insulated, heated, the whole 9 yards). He also has a small wind turbine, solar panels, a solar wall, and a Tesla. Before he got the Tesla, he was fully off-grid. Since getting the Tesla, I'm not sure. The ironic thing is his wife works for Hydro-Québec!
Dunno why, but that reminds me of the story a coworker told about helping a friend sneak a Bridgeport mill he bought into his garage at home while the wife was out. Friend didn't want to pay for an equipment mover but managed to get it onto a Uhaul trailer and rode the bump stops in his little pickup on the way home. Once at home he realized he had no good way of getting the mill off of the trailer and into the garage, so he tried using a come along to coax it off the trailer. To his great surprise it didn't just scoot off of the trailer, but instead tipped over, fell off the trailer, and augered itself through the garage slab and stuck there. He ended up having to rent a jackhammer and wife came home part way through jackhammering up the slab to extract it. So much for free. :rofl:

Dunno why, but that reminds me of the story a coworker told about helping a friend sneak a Bridgeport mill he bought into his garage at home while the wife was out. Friend didn't want to pay for an equipment mover but managed to get it onto a Uhaul trailer and rode the bump stops in his little pickup on the way home. Once at home he realized he had no good way of getting the mill off of the trailer and into the garage, so he tried using a come along to coax it off the trailer. To his great surprise it didn't just scoot off of the trailer, but instead tipped over, fell off the trailer, and augered itself through the garage slab and stuck there. He ended up having to rent a jackhammer and wife came home part way through jackhammering up the slab to extract it. So much for free. :rofl:
And so much for a working milling machine...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
man-child cave/attic, to be shared with son and daughter
with lego city build in process, half-worn track tires, the forgotten ibis (i havent ridden in ages) and lego boxes I have yet to find time to assemble.

about 40ft by 15ft in drywall. cost about $30 per sq ft to build, floor was already done.

Attachments

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
man-child cave/attic, to be shared with son and daughter
with lego city build in process, half-worn track tires, the forgotten ibis (i havent ridden in ages) and lego boxes I have yet to find time to assemble.

about 40ft by 15ft in drywall. cost about $30 per sq ft to build, floor was already done.
something tells me the cost of labour and materials is slightly different in Peru vs Vermont...