Quantcast

Contacts vs. Prescription Goggles???

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
Hey,
I'm new to XC, and have been trying to ride with my glasses, but I'm finding they're so small that I have to raise my head up all the way just to see where I'm going, and it's a real pain in the neck.

So I'm wondering if I should try contacts and a pair of close fitting sports glasses for protection, or just go for the prescription sports goggles like some of the guys in the NBA wear.

Any XC'ers with bad vision care to give me opinions?

Thanks,
Nick

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use Oakley Juliets, not exactly the cheapest route, but it does the job.

I have worn contacts and most cycling specific sunglasses protect my eyes and prevent them from drying out.

If your glasses are slipping, I would recommend using an eyeglass strap. It keeps your glasses from slipping down the nose.

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
thanks for the replies.
yeah those oakleys are a bit high. and i'm thinking i might want better protection that that. i'm a photographer after all. maybe a pair of rec-specs or bobsters. not sure yet if i should get them rx or get the contacts. i've made an appointment for contact fitting. guess i'll see how that goes.
thanks again.
nick

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
thanks for the replies.
yeah those oakleys are a bit high. and i'm thinking i might want better protection that that. i'm a photographer after all. maybe a pair of rec-specs or bobsters. not sure yet if i should get them rx or get the contacts. i've made an appointment for contact fitting. guess i'll see how that goes.
thanks again.
nick
Everyone I know except for people with specific prescriptions wear some kind of cycling specific sunglasses.

Friends and I were riding to an outdoor concert, and one of them forgot his sunglasses. After I took him to a Performance Bike for cheap eyewear, I was annoyed when he wouldn't get another set. I was like, you gotta have sunglasses!

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
I've always worn contacts for riding. I had some problems with my old contacts and had to wear glasses on a few rides and it didn't work out to well. I considered some prescription sunglasses from Rudy Project but after finding contacts that work for me I'll never go without them. With good sunglasses I never have a problem with my eyes drying while riding.