Quantcast

Contacts + water = ?

pot

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
waikato, New Zealand.
I am considering doing an Xterra festival with a 1km swim 30km mtb and 11km run. one of the main things I am worried about is that My eyesight could be a lot better and I need to wear my contacts but don't they get all messed up and fall Out in the water. Is there a way that I can wear them while swimming so I can ride and run faster. Does anyone have experience with this sort of dillema.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
not obvious...just pre-coffee and I didn't feel like typing much. It depends on how the race is set up. If the swim is first, it is easy to put on goggles before the race starts. Then if the bike or run is second, you can drop the goggles in the transition area when you grab your bike/shoes. Pull them off when you run to the transition area to save time. If the swim isn't first, you have to determine if the time required to get and put on the goggles is worth it. Most people in tri's do seem to wear goggles.

You may be fine without anything....a lot of my friends are surfers who wear their contacts when surfing and don't have any problems. They just can't open their eyes under water and have lost contacts by doing that.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Actualy I'd recommend trying it out....I swam with contacts and just for s#its and giggles I tried opening my eyes under water. My contacts stayed in...I have soft ones. I think by wearing your contacts for a number of hours prior to the swim will dry out your eye a bit and make the contact stay better. But then again I could be talking out of my ass. The most expensive method short of surgery is to get prescription googles and riding glasses and switch them during the transition.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by Dog Welder
The most expensive method short of surgery is to get prescription googles and riding glasses and switch them during the transition.
Yeah...but you don't need to do all that. Just get a decent pair of regular goggles that fit tight and keep the water out. Wear your contacts under the goggles for the swim. Then you don't need to mess with glasses and goggles during transition.

Good luck in the race! It sounds fun.

pot

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
waikato, New Zealand.
Cheers for the advice I think I'll try training with contacts in so I don't have any "suprise's" on the day. I'm aiming to have fun but I wouldn't mind making the top 3rd of the Individual's so I'm training Pretty seriously.