Quantcast

Cool places to ride between Brianhead and Snowmass?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
anybody? We're driving out from NC to Brianhead, then to Snowmass for the finals. We should have 2/3 days in between to hit some spots in between venues. Moab looks to be pretty close. We'll probably hit that for sure one day. Anything else? :clue:

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I'm gonna be doin' the same...Traveling from Brian Head to Aspen. I was definately looking to ride. Is there anyone doing any rides? DH or dirtjumping? I was planning on going into Denver/Boulder (Yes, driving extra) to check out Arbor and other spots.

I'll be traveling with a couple other riders.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
since south utah is hot, I would say tht moab would e the choice. however moab will be extremely hot as well. you can do somee early or late day rides, otherwise find a pool.

fruita and grandjunction will be a better area to ride, and prolly cooler than moab. are you riding xc or dh?

otherwise just head to the hgh country around aspen. if your dh-ing, go straight to vail annd park. you won't be far from snowmass (2 hrs).

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't know your path from Aspen to Brianhead, but Telluride has some really nice, tech dh runs and the gondola is free. Plus there is Silverton.

BTW, Mike soon you will realize that the NCS are lame and you should be doing the MSC instead.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Ascentrek said:
since south utah is hot, I would say tht moab would e the choice. however moab will be extremely hot as well. you can do somee early or late day rides, otherwise find a pool.

fruita and grandjunction will be a better area to ride, and prolly cooler than moab. are you riding xc or dh?

otherwise just head to the hgh country around aspen. if your dh-ing, go straight to vail annd park. you won't be far from snowmass (2 hrs).
*gasp* I'm racing DH and DS, but I'd actually like to do some xc in between races. Grand Junction sounds good to me. I think it's in our direct path as well, which is a bonus. I'm gonna search for it, but are there any good websites or forums for that area that you know of? thanks.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Go to Fruita, Stop in and see "Over the Edge Sports" http://www.otesports.com/

They will have maps and trail guides.

On I-70, you'll see an exit between Fruita and the Utah Border (like 5 miles west of the Fruita exit) called 'Loma'. There is a parking lot there and a map I think posted. These xc trails are stellar, and end up in so many bike mags. Basically, there is a trail network between Loma and the Utah Border on the South Side of I-70...so yeah, its on the way. If its too hot, just head up to Vail.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Go to Pete Fagerlins web site as well. He's got videos of several of the rides in the area.

In Grandjunction, go to the Lunch loop area. From there, make sure you DON"T MISS "The Ribbon". It will blow your mind. Also, link this in with Eagle's Wing and Holy Cross Trail systems and you'll have had arguably the best (mostly DH/XC) ride link up in the state. Again, go early, it'll get hot.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I'll be there Monday and Tuesday after Brianhead. Looks like we're gonna stay in Fruita and go from there. Thanks for the info and links! I'll let you know more of what's going on when it gets closer...

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Grand Junction has awesome XC, or maybe swing over to Crested Butte as well. The jumps behind the Aurora Community College are massive, and Lake Arbor is in pretty good condition except for the far left really big lines. The Sunset jumps are under repair except for the far right line.