Quantcast

Cops and guns and drugs...round and round it goes:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i'm curious to see if it was a "knock" or "no-knock" warrant. it's rather difficult to obtain a no-knock search warrant and it requires substantial probable cause that the suspect is armed and is likely to use force against the officers.
not a lot of usable info in that article but in regards to the accused: when you play with fire.......

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i'm curious to see if it was a "knock" or "no-knock" warrant. it's rather difficult to obtain a no-knock search warrant and it requires substantial probable cause that the suspect is armed and is likely to use force against the officers.
not a lot of usable info in that article but in regards to the accused: when you play with fire.......
i think the whole things spins around whether it was a knock or no knock warrant.

if there was no knock, then 10 years is a completely retarded sentence for that. i dont known if any lenght would have been fair (if any sentence at all).

if its a knock warrant, then the guy should have gotten life with no parole

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's not really the second amendment that's pertinent--the right of self-defense exists prior to and without need of the second amendment.

On an initial read, sounds of course like the guy did a reasonable thing. Now, of course, unless there's Castle doctrine to fall back on, it'd also be easy to attack him as not having seen a clear deadly-force threat...a burglar breaking in, in and of itself, is not such a thing. Pattern of facts are what matter. Could he see a gun or have other reason to expect the unknown person at his door was a threat? Could he have reasonably not known the person at the door was a cop? Did the police knock and announce? Where was he sleeping and how loud were they?

You'd think judges, or even supervisory-level cops, would not be thinking of uncorraborated informant-provided info as constituting PC.

Shooting through doors or other solid objects, especially as an opening into the use of force, is often not a good thing when trying to make your case.

Was this an arrest warrant or a search warrant, by the way? And yeah, drugs should be legal, but they aren't.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
one of the funniest shows on tv, mostly b/c they take themselves very srsly: http://www.downrange.tv/bestdefense/

if anyone's to be held accountable, i think it may be the pd for putting one of their own at such fatal risk. and this cat had no priors, and weighed just over 100 lbs. not exactly a cause to get up-armored.

article linked from the wiki vanity page perhaps gives a little more info in & among the editorializing: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336850,00.html

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Well now we know the price of a cop's life as far as the Chesapeake PD is concerned, a baggy of pot.

I wonder what the "informant" was promised for the info that lead to this bigtime bust?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I do have to wonder--why go through the door at 8 PM for any offense if you're not forced to by circumstance? If you have an arrest warrant, get up early, wait outside, and grab him as he's walking to the car to go to work, or better yet, get him at work. If you have a search warrant too, serve it after he's arrested and you have the keys to the house.

If it's just a search, wait till he's gone, serve it on the house with a perimeter set up. If you find PC for an arrest warrant, call it in and see if you can get the telephonic arrest warrant. Then pull all your high-vis cop stuff from the area, lie in wait, and grab him when he comes back home.

But that's just me and how I was taught.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I do have to wonder--why go through the door at 8 PM for any offense if you're not forced to by circumstance? If you have an arrest warrant, get up early, wait outside, and grab him as he's walking to the car to go to work, or better yet, get him at work. If you have a search warrant too, serve it after he's arrested and you have the keys to the house.

If it's just a search, wait till he's gone, serve it on the house with a perimeter set up. If you find PC for an arrest warrant, call it in and see if you can get the telephonic arrest warrant. Then pull all your high-vis cop stuff from the area, lie in wait, and grab him when he comes back home.

But that's just me and how I was taught.
Because it's more fun to bash through the door with guns drawn yelling and screaming? (It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, right?)

Overtime?

Incompetence?