Quantcast

corrupted...again...bike help

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
ok, so I got corrupted over the weekend and am now looking into buying a 20" bike. I can't spend over $300 right now so please bear that in mind when you reply. I don't live near a skatepark or any concrete anything so I don't want to spend too much in case I don't get to ride it enough to pay top $ for it.

No, I don't want a dirt jumping bike. I rent an apartment and am surrounded by the catskill park and NY City watershed areas (no digging or trespassing at all).

ok, so I am looking for a 20" bike to take to a skatepark and do ramps & stuff on. I rode 3 different bikes: 24"dk general lee, an upgraded Free Agent stiletto, and a Free Agent Air Raid. I liked the Air Raid the best out of the three once I got used to the small size. It was very balanced and didn't feel as twitchy as the Stiletto. I didn't get to ride the dk at the park but I did try it on a bmx ramp. It was wonderful there but i had never used a 20" before that so just felt more at home. All the bikes had 3 pc cranks and i think both 20" were cromo.

alrighty, so, let's hear some suggestions!

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
#1 - What did you think of the 24"? I have one and I absolutely love it. I have zero problems at the skatepark with the bike being "too big" or "unmanuverable" or whatever.

#2 - Hoffman. Killer bikes at killer prices. Matt does it because he loves the sport with all his heart.

#3 - Hit up your LBS for some test rides and find what your comfy on. There is a good possiblity that your "average" LBS won't have anything for you because they are geared towards kids bikes for BMX. Find a high end BMX store that is likely to carry a bike with a 39"+ wheelbase.

Welcome the the BMX world!!!!!!

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Diamondback Skindog $219.99

Spec Name Diamondback Skindog
Frame Chromoly main frame
Fork Lexington, chromoly
Headset FSA
Rims/Wheels Alex Y-22
Hubs Steel, 14mm axles
Tires Crazy Train: Front: 20 x 2.125; Rear: 20 x 1.95
Crankset Chromoly 3-piece, 175-mm
Chainwheel Diamond 44T
Bottom Bracket Splined, chromoly spindle
Chain KMC Z-410
Handlebars 7 7/8-inch rise
Tape/Grips Double-up
Stem D-day
Brakes Rear: Tektro 907A U-brake
Pedals Aluminum platform, steel pins
Saddle Padded, 9mm rails
Seat Post Steel
Accessories & Extras SST Oryg cable detangler
Color(s) Matte Super Black
Sizes 20-inch

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
'03 Diamondback Venom $219.99

Frame Freestyle design, chromoly seat tube
Fork Freestyle chromoly
Headset Threadless
Rims/Wheels Alex C303
Hubs Steel, 14mm axles
Tires L-Train, 20 x 1.95
Crankset Chromoly 3-piece, 175-mm
Chainwheel Diamond 44T
Bottom Bracket Splined, chromoly spindle
Chain KMC
Handlebars Park, chromoly
Tape/Grips Double-up
Stem D-day
Brakes Tektro FX11 U-brakes
Pedals Aluminum platform, steel pins
Saddle Padded
Seat Post Micro adjustable
Accessories & Extras SST Oryg cable detangler, axle pegs
Color(s) Bluebird, Matte Sanitarium
Sizes 20-inch

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Things to look for:

- Full Cromoly frame and fork (if you start with a good frame, you can always upgrade).

- Sealed bearing hubs (I went through a set of unsealed hubs in under 2 months without ever riding outdoors).

- Chromed rims brake better than painted rims.

You are probably looking at a "mid-level" bike for your price.

In mid level bikes, a lot of bikes will have a gyro of some sort. This is silly, you have no use for a gyro until you are a very advanced rider - and even then you probably don't need one.

Also, you don't need a front brake on a BMX.

If you look around a bit, you can probably find a bike with a nicer frame and wheels (the most expensive parts of a BMX) that doesn't have the added cost of a gyro and front brake.

Like mrbig said, check the local shops out and see if they are serious about BMX. Look for names like Kink, FBM, and Volume along with the standard Hoffmans, Free Agents and DKs. If all they have is Trek and Specialized, go somewhere else. If you run out of local shops, try Dan's Comp, or better yet maybe I can hook you up with one from Trailblazers :D

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
hehe i was just looking for the exact same things you are looking for...my local diamondback dealer said he could get me an orion for about 300.
i ended up on ebay
but check sites of the companies
make sure you not the geometry, short cs are good
it took me a week or so to see what all was out there in the range
also check out redline, specialized
i ended up getting a supa x (redline) but it has long cs which is not generally good for park

as far as echo's coments on the gyro and what not
yes you need a gyro if your planning on doin barspins
yes you need a front brake if your doing serious park riding..while you don't need either brake as much..as you do in most situations
personally i plan to try brakeless out once or twice but as i live in pullman..lots of hills..it not easy..

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Find a high end BMX store that is likely to carry a bike with a 39"+ wheelbase.

Welcome the the BMX world!!!!!!

Dude, you're #'s are a little scewed for a 20in. Especially for someone who is under 5'6". My dirtjumper has a 21" TT (generally OK for someone 6'2" like myself who dirtjumps) and that wheelbase is only 37 1/8.

My Pro XL race bike is plenty long for me and is only 38 something. 39 is a freakishly long bike that bshould only be for large racing riders who don't like to manual!

This is all assuming you were referring to 20in.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by allsk8sno
as far as echo's coments on the gyro and what not
yes you need a gyro if your planning on doin barspins
yes you need a front brake if your doing serious park riding..while you don't need either brake as much..as you do in most situations
personally i plan to try brakeless out once or twice but as i live in pullman..lots of hills..it not easy..
First of all barspins are not something you do when you start. Second of all you can barspin fine if you run no front brake (or the front cable through the headset) and a long cable for the back. Unless you plan to do more than one barspin at a time :rolleyes:

Maybe your part of the world is different, but every really advanced rider we have around here, and there are many, they all use just a rear brake and no gyro. Learn to ride without the crutches and you will be much better off in the long run.

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Echo
First of all barspins are not something you do when you start. Second of all you can barspin fine if you run no front brake (or the front cable through the headset) and a long cable for the back. Unless you plan to do more than one barspin at a time :rolleyes:

Maybe your part of the world is different, but every really advanced rider we have around here, and there are many, they all use just a rear brake and no gyro. Learn to ride without the crutches and you will be much better off in the long run.
Bzzzzz! Busted! Tony, for one, runs both a gyro and a front brake, and he's one of the best riders there ;)

Besides, skipping the gyro is not going to pay for a set of good wheels!

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
Originally posted by Squid
Bzzzzz! Busted! Tony, for one, runs both a gyro and a front brake, and he's one of the best riders there ;)

Yes, but skipping the gyro may improve braking and the amount of things you have to work on.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Squid

Pfft. First of all he's not around enough for anyone to know what he rides. And he's a d!ck.

Talk to Giancarlo, Sam, Ben, Jordan, Rob, Eric, Luke... how many more do I need to name? Or are you just trying to make yourself feel better about having a gyro and front brake... :D

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pfft. First of all he's not around enough for anyone to know what he rides. And he's a d!ck.

Talk to Giancarlo, Sam, Ben, Jordan, Rob, Eric, Luke... how many more do I need to name? Or are you just trying to make yourself feel better about having a gyro and front brake... :D
I think you're thinking of the wrong Tony! I dont mean the backflip tony, that guy is a d!ck. I'm talking about the guy that designed the Trailblazers banner, he's very nice.

I'm just saying a front brake has a purpose. None of those other guys do any stuff that requires a front brake, which is why they dont have one. Some people do. I actually use my front brake a lot, just for goofing around, but its fun, and I like it ;)

My real point is that having or not having a front brake or gyro really wont make a huge dent in the cost, whereas something like sealed bearings will push it right out of her price range.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by ghettorigged
hey echo, maybe I will just buy one from Dans Comp and have it shipped to stosh's granny's house so I don't have to pay any tax. :D
Then you can have your cousin/uncle/brother Jim Bob pick it up for ya!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
hey echo, maybe I will just buy one from Dans Comp and have it shipped to stosh's granny's house so I don't have to pay any tax. :D
I'll see what Victor has in stock, maybe I can bring one to the first Plattekill race for ya :)

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
I just saw a Redline bike for sale but the chainstays are 16.5". Isn't that a bit long for a 20" ramp bike? What's a size I should look for? :confused:

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just saw a Redline bike for sale but the chainstays are 16.5". Isn't that a bit long for a 20" ramp bike? What's a size I should look for? :confused:
I think you want a chainstay length that fits exactly between the rear axle and the BB. No longer or shorter than that! :monkey:

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
I think it's so kewl that you want a bmx, Trailblazers has a huge selection of DK's 20 and 24 inch. Victor would hook you up with a killer deal..............Come back.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Originally posted by Mtbkngrl
I think it's so kewl that you want a bmx, Trailblazers has a huge selection of DK's 20 and 24 inch. Victor would hook you up with a killer deal..............Come back.
I am going to take a look at the web site and see what the prices look like. I really liked your bike but I had so much fun on Squid's at the park. I'm jonesing bad for one of my own! :D

Maybe TB will cut me some slack for driving 4 hrs?? :D

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU

Well, Allsk8sno was talking about barspins while on the ground. Like pulling the front end up and doing one, soon to be manual barspins and maybe icepick barspins. And they are very easy to do for beginners, easier than bunnyhopping.

In my part of the world the reason the better people ride with a straight cable and only a rear brake is because they mostly dirtjump. Maybe that's why the kids in your area do too? A lot of the the "good" kids also run their chains way loose and have bikes that make noises like they haven't been lubed in years. Should we copy that too just because they have more skills than us?

Anyway I'd recommend going with the front brake and gyro. They add options and can always be taken off if you don't like them. It's nice to be able to stop the front wheel without having to jam your foot in the fork. But I don't think at that price range the gyro/brake will make a difference. The bike you buy will probably either have them or not. I wouldn't worry about it.