Quantcast

Corsair Maelstrom build: looking for feedback

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
Hey folks,

I'm going to order a Corsair Maelstrom build in the next couple of weeks and I'd love some feedback. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Frame: Corsair Maelstrom, medium, adjustable headset, dirt color
Shock: Marzocchi Rocco WC
Fork: '09 Marzocchi 66 RC3
Brakes: Avid Code (203mm front and rear)
Brake levers: Twenty6 (gold)
FD: Shimano XT, e-type
RD: SRAM X-9
Shifters: SRAM X-9
Chainguide: Blackspire Stinger
Chain: SRAM PC-991 cross-step
Cassette: SRAM PG-980
Crank/BB: FSA Gravity Light, mega-exo
Handlebar: Sunline V1
Grips: ODI Rogue
Stem: Twenty6 (gold)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
Hubs: Hadley (gold)
Rims: Mavic 823
Spokes: DT Champion 2.0
Pedals: Twenty6 CroMo (gold)
Tires: Maxxis Minion DHf 3C 2.5 (both front and rear)

It's a pretty burly build, as-is, so looking for some potential weight savings without sacrificing too much burl. Thanks for your feedback.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Yeah, but I'd have to run them ghetto tubeless, adding back the weight of the tubes.
I've weighed quite a few 'ghetto' rim strips, and they're typically around 75g each. An average XC tube is around 175g. DH tubes (which, in my opinion, have a similar "flat-proof-ness" to ghetto tubeless) can weigh anywhere from 285-375g.

--JP

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Shoot... I apparently have some sort of old 980 cassette... because my 990 on my big bike is substantially lighter than my 980 on my trail bike.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I've weighed quite a few 'ghetto' rim strips, and they're typically around 75g each. An average XC tube is around 175g. DH tubes (which, in my opinion, have a similar "flat-proof-ness" to ghetto tubeless) can weigh anywhere from 285-375g.

--JP
So I'd be saving about 117g per wheel by switching to 521s and then gaining back about 75g per ghetto rim strip. Net loss of 42g/wheel or 84g total. Not sure that's enough to justify the weaker rim.

Thanks for those numbers, though, JP. I've never bothered to weigh my ghetto strips, so now I know (roughly) what they weigh.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
I have been riding that prototype bike in the photo with a different build (pretty close to yours actually) all summer and I would make one suggestion: Try to track down the new 2-Ring SLX front derailleur instead of the XT. The new cage shaping should work better with the chain angle from the idler. It's tricky to tune out chain rub with the XT, I have an XTR that I modded (easier to file the bumps out of the alloy cage) that also works extremely well.

Enjoy, it's a nice-riding bike.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have used the Sram and Shimano cassttes back to back. I like Shimano XT much better. The finish is easier to clean and keep clean. The XT cassette is lighter. The XT cassette shifts quicker.

Also, which bashgaurd are you going to run? I think the Gamut is the lightest and I havent had any problems with mine.

Other than that, I think the build looks great. Order the darn thing.

Get a Hope QR for the seatpost.
What headset?

Last edited:

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
Try to track down the new 2-Ring SLX front derailleur instead of the XT. The new cage shaping should work better with the chain angle from the idler.
Good suggestion. Thanks.
Kanter said:
Also, which bashgaurd are you going to run? I think the Gamut is the lightest and I havent had any problems with mine.
Initially, I'll just use the poly-carb bashguard that comes with the Gravity Light crankset.
Kanter said:
Get a Hope QR for the seatpost.
Frame comes w/ a seat clamp. Probably not a QR, though, so I'll need to add that. Thanks.
Kanter said:
What headset?
Frame comes w/ the headset since it's adjustable.