Quantcast

couple of psylo questions...

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I just picked up a brand new psylo off ebay for $100 shipped. My first question is, how do I tell what year model it is? The auction wasn't too detailed (seemed like the lister didn't know much about bikes). It is black, has the u-turn markings on the stanchions, and has a 20mm T/A. I know it is an 03 or 04, but not sure which.

Second question: how much can these actually handle? I did research and such...seems like some people have a great time with them and others blow them on the 2nd ride. I will use this for agressive XC riding, maybe some 4x racing. Is there anything I could do to prevent a premature demise for this fork? And will it hold up to my intended riding? I figured for $100 I couldn't go wrong...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
cjcrashesalot said:
I just picked up a brand new psylo off ebay for $100 shipped. My first question is, how do I tell what year model it is? The auction wasn't too detailed (seemed like the lister didn't know much about bikes). It is black, has the u-turn markings on the stanchions, and has a 20mm T/A. I know it is an 03 or 04, but not sure which.

Second question: how much can these actually handle? I did research and such...seems like some people have a great time with them and others blow them on the 2nd ride. I will use this for agressive XC riding, maybe some 4x racing. Is there anything I could do to prevent a premature demise for this fork? And will it hold up to my intended riding? I figured for $100 I couldn't go wrong...
No, you can't go wrong for $100 shipped...where was I??? Either way, the pre-2003 models seemed to be sticky and nothing great. Plus some people developed creaking sounds where the stanctions meet the crown (but that was from doing stupid **** like drops and being tools). They fixed that for 03 I think. For all-mountain riding and some 4x, it's perfect.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
cjcrashesalot said:

Service the fork and they will last longer, especially a used fork w/ an unknown service record. They are known to eat bushings and seals.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
that sound like an '04 to me but it you post a pic we can narrow that down for you. also the short you run the fork the stiffer it is.

i have 2 psylo's for a could of years. one on the trail bike and the other on the fr bike. for some reason the one on the fr bike i always had problems with the bushings in like 1-2 weeks (some thing in the fork was defective) and then they let me upgrade to a boxxer. yes the fork is good but not as strong as the more modern forks. for what you are looking to do its a great fork

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Well I snapped some pics so hopefully someone can tell me what year it is. I'm hoping not an 03, as I've been doing some more research and it turns out the 03 had a weak plastic bit at the bottom (?) of the damper that was very prone to cracking, which caused the fork to malfunction. The 04's had that piece replaced with a metal one. Here are some pics:

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
looks like the '04 to me with the rubber bit on the knobs on the top. i now the year before had all plastic ones that people complained about. have fun with the fork.

also don't worry about it a part breaks because rockshox take very good care of their customers and will get you the part quickly

Aug 24, 2005
ive had that fork 4 ever and i have cased and nose cased some very big jumps and is still holding strong but i got a new dj 2 06 today