Quantcast

Course Tape Dispenser design

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
So I have been putting together my portfolio for school. I had this project from last year and thought people might want to check it out.

Any thoughts/comments are much appreciated. I am definitely planning on going back and refining this concept some more when I get some time.
Is this something people on here who have had to tape courses before would want to use?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Looks good for a school project. It could probably be modified for landscaping string/tape duties etc. People buy anything, i say good solution to an actual problem.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
yea although i had designed it around taping courses, it could obviously be used in other areas.
I had intended it to be a cheap (but thoughtful) industrial product. Something that would cost 5 bucks and have a ton of them cranked out.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
all you have to do is get all the police stations in the country to buy a few. you'd be a millionare.

Kyle,
Precisely. Little things like this can make you a fortune. Think of all the businesses who use transparent palette stretch wrap rollers. Same idea and most warehouses have 4-5 of them. There is lots of warehouses in the world.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Precisely. Little things like this can make you a fortune. Think of all the businesses who use transparent palette stretch wrap rollers. Same idea and most warehouses have 4-5 of them. There is lots of warehouses in the world.
honestly dude, I'd market the hell out of that thing like it's the best thing since sliced bread. you are sitting on a great opportunity. don't let this slip away.

Kyle,

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah but hand and automatic dispensers for those already exist. Hell, my work has automatic palletisers that can pack and wrap about 100 pallets an hour.

Otherwise, nice idea... especially if you can develop some kind of course bunting that electrocutes corner-cutters...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah but hand and automatic dispensers for those already exist. Hell, my work has automatic palletisers that can pack and wrap about 100 pallets an hour.

Otherwise, nice idea... especially if you can develop some kind of course bunting that electrocutes corner-cutters...
I meant the stretch wrap thing is ubiquitous in warehouses, and is stupid simple. Same sort of product.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Only real issue is clearance for larger roles of tape. The ones we use are 2x-3x the diameter of your example, and wouldn't fit in that dispenser.

How about designing an automatic tensioning and tie-off mechanism while you're at it? ;)

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Of topic a little. But there is a new DVD called "Between The Tape".!

If you get rich;buy the Ober-Gatlinburg resort here in Tennessee & open it as a lift assisted mountainbike park all spring,summer, & fall except when & if it ever snows again. It would make you alot more money!

Put that invention on ebay,doesn't everyone buy anything on ebay?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Good design. What about a smaller, wider version for rolls of thinner flagging ribbon? The forestry/nursery industry would use them.

toby

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You might be able to sell a few to cyclocross promoters; around here the 'cross promoters ribbon the entire course and I'm sure they would be interested in anything that would speed that process up. Below is a link, if you want to try and sell one:
www.crosscrusade.com

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Is that the best you can come up with with that WIT education?:rofl:;)

Seth - Solidworks > Pro/E. Although I know you and Justin may disagree.;)

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
the point wasnt to 'invent' something, it was to design it. Just because there are other products out there doesnt mean it cant be improved upon.
Thanks for the feedback though.
I just figured this forum would be a place where I could get feedback from people who have actually had to tape courses.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have had to tape courses but the tape is the small effort of the day, I would suggset you put more time into possibly re-inventing the timing system with a more solid state transmission system or possibly a video timing system for sports coverage, maybe even a real start gate, just ideas....

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Is that the best you can come up with with that WIT education?:rofl:;)

Seth - Solidworks > Pro/E. Although I know you and Justin may disagree.;)

boooo, aha I used to use solidworks alittle bit before I knew Pro/E but they lack alot of power with the manufacturing/cam stuff I work with now

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Everyone who is giving Piper a hard time is ignoring the practicalities of taping a bike race course.

1. You use A LOT of tape, safe, easy quick change is a huge priority.

2. You only tape around non-standard size objects for the most part, so the ability to pass it from hand to hand is important.

3. The form factor needs to be non lethal when you trip and fall on it.

Plus, you can use the device to beat whiny masters racers, which for me, is a huge plus.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
I think the whole thing is rad. Just the presentation and finding a way to incorporate something you love into school projects.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Everyone who is giving Piper a hard time is ignoring the practicalities of taping a bike race course.

1. You use A LOT of tape, safe, easy quick change is a huge priority.

2. You only tape around non-standard size objects for the most part, so the ability to pass it from hand to hand is important.

3. The form factor needs to be non lethal when you trip and fall on it.

Plus, you can use the device to beat whiny masters racers, which for me, is a huge plus.
I wasn't really trying to give him a hard time; just pointing out that there are existing devices that could already do that well. I AM glad he floated the question, though, as it caused me to realize there are already things out there to make my work easier (like the drywall tape reels).

BTW, I tape courses and I'm a Master racer - - in my experience the whiniest far and away are the young Experts ;)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I wasn't really trying to give him a hard time; just pointing out that there are existing devices that could already do that well. I AM glad he floated the question, though, as it caused me to realize there are already things out there to make my work easier (like the drywall tape reels).

BTW, I tape courses and I'm a Master racer - - in my experience the whiniest far and away are the young Experts ;)
Try promoting a road, XC or 'cross race... Lot's of whiny accountants and lawyers who like to pretend it really matters who wins the Tour of Uranus in 3/4 35+

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I like the toilet paper idea. That way after I see that 20 foot road gap I'm supposed to hit in my race run, I have something to clean myself with.