Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Then don't buy that Plot :rofl:

That's like moving to idaho springs to get away from denver and summit county. That's tesla land. And it's most definitely not a 'reno' address. A little sketchy that it's listed that way actually.

If y'all are serious, I can point you to some places.
I have no desire to live near Reno, it's just the price of land. Last year I looked at a buildable lot not to far away that was 20ac and 5 times that price.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I dunno. I mean, I haven't seen it all for sure, but anything between Hwy 95 and the Uinta mountains is pretty gross country. Have you seen Winnemucca? :nope:
Oh, now you throwing utah in the mix? You just skipped over bryce canyon and rampage and about a zillion miles of bike trails.

I'm starting to see the problem here. I say "nevada" and you guys think "towns I've stopped in to get gas and shit I can see from a highway" No walmart, no dice?

I thought you guys were outdoorsy types. Y'all ride mountainbikes right?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have no desire to live near Reno, it's just the price of land. Last year I looked at a buildable lot not to far away that was 20ac and 5 times that price.
When I first moved to the area 20 years ago I was very very pleasantly surprised by reno. Not vegas, close to tahoe and those mountains, and still a little bit of western desert small city feel.

That place is turning to shit real quick. The gentrification is real.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Then don't buy that Plot :rofl:

The area between that and reno has increased 10x in the last 8 years with edward scissor hands clone home neighborhoods. Nice area right now but that's changing fast.

If y'all are serious, I can point you to some places.
Just did a quick search to find out what land costs, figured that would be the worst case. This would be a more preferred location.
Screenshot_20200502-084414.png

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm just not a huge fan of being in places where there aren't green things.
It's there. Just gotta get off the highways and into the hills.

There are ferns growing in them thar canyons. It ain't the PNW but it's a hell of a lot more similar to anything you see up hwy 50 out of the springs. The highways don't do much but get you though the low lands.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It's there. Just gotta get off the highways and into the hills.

There are ferns growing in them thar canyons. It ain't the PNW but it's a hell of a lot more similar to anything you see up hwy 50 out of the springs. The highways don't do much but get you though the low lands.
Wheeler peak? One of my fav places. As is Nevada.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
More summary of your federal gov't actively working against you.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
One of my close friends owns a bunch of acres (cattle ranch) at the very base of Lamiolle Canyon in the Rubies. It is always stunning to visit. I did a trail design project there many years ago that went nowhere due to horses>Private access issues>redneck hate. Oh, well.
the *thought* of living there crossed my mind as being palatable, but having to deal with Elko on a weekly basis? Fuck that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use abbreviations specific to their profession to either sound 'in the game' or because they really don't stop to consider that no one else knows what the hell they're talking about. ;)

CI crosses 0/p

No one knows what the fuck that means toshi

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Heh.

Things that Toshi gleans from this 80s looking readout of a model:

- R-squared of 0.74 means that this model does a fair job of explaining the variance of what it's looking at, which is mobility changes in each state
- 95% CI crossing 0 (which goes hand in hand with p values > 0.05) for reopening_status and urbanization_index mean that these variables' effects are not significant. Ignore them, in other words.
- trump_margin's effects are statistically significant (p value very low, rounded to 0.000 here, and confidence interval doesn't cross 0), which suggests it's a real effect
- same with temp_change
- that both are significant in this model suggests they are independent effects

Cliffs Notes: Weather and Trump support independently predict Apple's state level cell phone mobility change data in Nate's model.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah we can all read the english part in the summary about maga and weather.

But I don't think you're getting what I'm after here :rofl:

p values
(p value very low

I'll try to clarify below

WHAT THE FUCK IS P MOTHERFUCKER?????????
Directed as much at nate just fyi

and don't be dissn no DOS

I'd actually disagree with the maga/weather correlation as it applies to where I live. Wealth and entitlement and warm weather is more the deal here.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WHAT THE FUCK IS P MOTHERFUCKER?????????
Directed as much at nate just fyi
Heh. Even ask most people in science or research medicine "what does a p value of less than 0.05 actually mean?" and you'll get technically incorrect responses a ton.

I realize you're not actually asking but instead venting, but my take on it would be that p = 0.05 implies that the results observed could be expected to be seen even if the null hypothesis is true 1/20 times, and via historical accident we've all decided that's an acceptable risk of saying some non-null hypothesis is true even if it's actually not.

Clear as mud, no?

:D