Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have lost faith in IHME projections. This site seems to have been fairly concordant with reality the past few weeks. This is what it's projecting now:

Capture.PNG

Note that deaths are decidedly still non-0 as of August 4, so the total will continue to rise.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have lost faith in IHME projections. This site seems to have been fairly concordant with reality the past few weeks. This is what it's projecting now:

View attachment 144949

Note that deaths are decidedly still non-0 as of August 4, so the total will continue to rise.
Project that line and the 30 days after Aug 4 would see about another 20K deaths.

Half as many Americans will die of Covid in 6 months than died in 4 years of WWII. You know that thing where 100% of the country was focused on the fight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FWIW re masks (did I post this before?)

It's a modeling study so take it with a grain of salt, but even with the assumption of some masks being less effective, widespread use of something to prevent droplets from being splattered all about would help.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
It's a good experiment, if what you do in real life is stand over petri dishes and cough 5 times in a particular order.
No, but you touch your mask 5 times in 2 minutes and then touch everything in sight in Le Walmart.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yakima has the highest infection rate on the west coast, Agricultural workers struggling to stay safe while a bunch of other people are crying oppression via inconvenience. Imma gonna guess you can draw some pretty solid lines between the race and wealth of the two groups.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yakima has the highest infection rate on the west coast, Agricultural workers struggling to stay safe while a bunch of other people are crying oppression via inconvenience. Imma gonna guess you can draw some pretty solid lines between the race and wealth of the two groups.

Hey 2/3 of Yakima is deemed "essential" plus we have a large volume of the "you cant take ma rights" crowd. Like these guys https://www.yakimaherald.com/special_projects/coronavirus/selah-cant-bypass-state-stay-home-order-county-prosecutor-and-governors-office-say/article_784d4b2e-58e1-5b48-88e4-b5e2bc5d3c98.amp.html

Lastly, I swear a large swath of the hispanic community does not think this pandemic applies to them. *maybe a better way to say it is they don't have the means to revise their lifestyles around the pandemic.

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I am seeing whole families shopping together and only 40% of the public is wearing masks.
That's crazy! I just back from the store to pick up essentials. Moar alcohol, well that and Mothers days dinner for the fam. Everyone was wearing masks. I wear mask & disposable gloves then hand sanitizer once in the car, then pull off the gloves inside out. I did score a 4 pk of paper towels! Winning!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Gotta say he is committed...

Wonder how long before a significant chunk of the administration gets taken out by covid-19.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
So stores are allowing entire family to come in? Here it's a person per household.
Shit there is one store in particular that is letting it get normal busy in there, long lines, jam packed parking lot and everything else. Not even attempting to limit customers in store.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey 2/3 of Yakima is deemed "essential" plus we have a large volume of the "you cant take ma rights" crowd. Like these guys https://www.yakimaherald.com/special_projects/coronavirus/selah-cant-bypass-state-stay-home-order-county-prosecutor-and-governors-office-say/article_784d4b2e-58e1-5b48-88e4-b5e2bc5d3c98.amp.html

Lastly, I swear a large swath of the hispanic community does not think this pandemic applies to them. *maybe a better way to say it is they don't have the means to revise their lifestyles around the pandemic.
That is the point. A large portion of the area cannot isolate at work and it is a bit of a shit show. Opening up more will make it a bigger shit show. If it gets bad enough the essential businesses will struggle to operate because a significant portion of the workforce will be sick. People may be worried about small business in the area but what will happen when core industry struggles to operate? Everyone is fucked then. Closing other shit helps protect the essential shit

Also the whole west coast has an essential agricultural corridor, perhaps the other areas have additional more diverse industries that dilute the impact.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Went to Walmart yesterday. It felt like a scene from 12 Monkeys.
Far as I could tell, people were divided into 3 halves.
Half of them were there with no masks, no apparent concern, with a bunch of kids in tow.
Half of them were in masks (5/6ths of these were women), looking panicked and afraid to actually buy anything just rushing through the store with practically empty carts.
The other half was me trying to get some last-minute ingredients for a mothers day dinner. The store was out of meat, pretty much, which was fine because the wife doesn't eat meat except for fish, so I got salmon. Walmart salmon. The best. Fresh from the seas of Arkansas.
I think I want the virus.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Went to Walmart yesterday. It felt like a scene from 12 Monkeys.
Far as I could tell, people were divided into 3 halves.
Half of them were there with no masks, no apparent concern, with a bunch of kids in tow.
Half of them were in masks (5/6ths of these were women), looking panicked and afraid to actually buy anything just rushing through the store with practically empty carts.
The other half was me trying to get some last-minute ingredients for a mothers day dinner. The store was out of meat, pretty much, which was fine because the wife doesn't eat meat except for fish, so I got salmon. Walmart salmon. The best. Fresh from the seas of Arkansas.
I think I want the virus.
Seriously. I haven't been able to buy salmon for months, so I took a gamble on Walmart salmon and lost. Its tasteless, tough, and fishy as all hell. Probably just carp dyed pink.