Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What’s with stories about wealthy folks going to the hospital to get trump-level treatment for infections? I’ve seen/heard a few (Joe Rogan and Penn of Penn & Teller) mention getting antibiotics and monoclonal antibodies, along with human sized doses of ivermectin.
1. I don’t know anything about monoclonal a antibodies. What’s the expected benefit?
2. Why antibiotics for a viral infection?
3. From a the NIH article I posted a few pages back, it sounded like there was no in vivo benefit of ivermectin identified, particularly at human level doses.

Without dismissing them as idiots, is there any good argument for any of those treatments? Or is just part of the “kitchen sink” they throw at you when you can afford the premium?
Monoclonal antibodies have a small benefit for outpatients... yet they're an expensive IV infusion. Not convenient, not cheap, marginally effective.

What's better yet are polyclonal antibodies, such as those made in response to getting a vaccination in your deltoid.

No evidence for azithromycin, ivermectin, or HCQ.

(There is evidence supporting dexamethasone if you get sick enough to be admitted, though. That's a cheap, generic drug whose promoted use after trials showed its efficacy goes totally against the "but Big Pharma!" narrative. And again, see vaccine prices << Regeneron prices.)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
No evidence for azithromycin, ivermectin, or HCQ.
So why are they getting prescribed for people? Joe Rogan was all amped up about his treatment saying he felt like it helped. Penn said he is pretty sure the ivermectin is bullshit, and his doctor even told him that it probably wouldn’t do anything but couldn’t hurt.

Is there any evidence that vitamins C and/or D are particularly effective at doing anything?

Part of why I’m asking is that I’m accepting the inevitability of contracting this thing despite my vaccination. My general tendency has been to avoid loading up on medication, but if there’s some pill or supplements worth considering, then I’d be game, and I’d rather plan for it then make a choice once I’m sick.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Vitamin C: haven't read anything to support it

Zinc/selenium/vitamin D: not likely to hurt you. Probably not going to do anything but might help.

Ivermectin: Quite possibly will actually hurt you, especially at supra-human-sized-creature doses. (Will effectively deworm you if that plagues you, though!)

Booster shot: not likely to hurt you. Will likely give you at least a few more months of heightened immunity. I'd elect for this route. Hell, I already did.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As for why: People who base their identity on being contrarian and having a magical solution that The Man is holding back from you, the secretly genius reader, have decided that this is the grift they're going to push.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What’s with stories about wealthy folks going to the hospital to get trump-level treatment for infections? I’ve seen/heard a few (Joe Rogan and Penn of Penn & Teller) mention getting antibiotics and monoclonal antibodies, along with human sized doses of ivermectin.
1. I don’t know anything about monoclonal a antibodies. What’s the expected benefit?
2. Why antibiotics for a viral infection?
3. From a the NIH article I posted a few pages back, it sounded like there was no in vivo benefit of ivermectin identified, particularly at human level doses.

Without dismissing them as idiots, is there any good argument for any of those treatments? Or is just part of the “kitchen sink” they throw at you when you can afford the premium?
Keep listening to joe rogan and penn and you'll continue to be confused.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Wifey received booster also. A former co-worker is on a ventilator currently. Called his cell phone and the nurse answered. Said he can't talk right now. Not vaxxed. Prolly gonna die. I hope not.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Vitamin C: haven't read anything to support it

Zinc/selenium/vitamin D: not likely to hurt you. Probably not going to do anything but might help.

Ivermectin: Quite possibly will actually hurt you, especially at supra-human-sized-creature doses. (Will effectively deworm you if that plagues you, though!)

Booster shot: not likely to hurt you. Will likely give you at least a few more months of heightened immunity. I'd elect for this route. Hell, I already did.

I thought early on in the pandemic Vitamin D was recommended? I thought it could help regulate the immune system over-reaction that was causing lung damage (cytokine storm?)

I can attest the Vitamin Ds ability to regulate the immune system. My psoriasis is easy to control when I get plenty of sunlight. Vitamin D supplements do help, but only at a level that causes me to shit my pants.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
As for why: People who base their identity on being contrarian and having a magical solution that The Man is holding back from you, the secretly genius reader, have decided that this is the grift they're going to push.
Yeah. The Rogan thing I expected. Penn has been pretty critical of ivermectin, which is why I was surprised he disclosed that he took it, even at his doctor’s suggestion. He was admittedly embarrassed/ashamed about having taken it, but was following his doc’s orders. The doc later said it probably didn’t do anything, which is why I had to ask - why is anyone prescribed this stuff?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The doc later said it probably didn’t do anything, which is why I had to ask - why is anyone prescribed this stuff?
Because they beg for it after listening to dumbasses like joe rogan and penn, and every moron on facebook.

If only there were some kind of worldwide searchable media interface where these confusing, perplexing questions could find answers.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
So why are they getting prescribed for people? Joe Rogan was all amped up about his treatment saying he felt like it helped. Penn said he is pretty sure the ivermectin is bullshit, and his doctor even told him that it probably wouldn’t do anything but couldn’t hurt.

Is there any evidence that vitamins C and/or D are particularly effective at doing anything?

Part of why I’m asking is that I’m accepting the inevitability of contracting this thing despite my vaccination. My general tendency has been to avoid loading up on medication, but if there’s some pill or supplements worth considering, then I’d be game, and I’d rather plan for it then make a choice once I’m sick.
Hospital/institution dependent, but for confirmed COVID infections with mild to mod. symptoms, antibiotics eg. Ceftriaxone and Azithromycin, sometimes Doxycycline. No.1 reason is prophylaxis for pneumonia, or other opportunistic bacterial URI. Dexamethasone is pretty much automatic for all COVID admissions. Now if you saturate less than 92% on room air, and get worse with exertion, then you get Remdesivir for 5 days. Your liver enzymes will go to shlt but its monitored inpatient, so daily lab draws, sucks to be the patient. Supp. oxygen, sat-depending. Ive seen a lot of patients on high flow nasal cannula but dont degress, lucky. Everyone also gets clot prevention, so you get low molec. wt heparin like Enoxaparin or Fondaparinux.

Vitamins can only do so much, if youre phenotypical weak/susceptible to the sars-cov2 virus no matter your health or vacc status, theres honestly nothing much you can do. #goodluckdoe

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah. The Rogan thing I expected. Penn has been pretty critical of ivermectin, which is why I was surprised he disclosed that he took it, even at his doctor’s suggestion. He was admittedly embarrassed/ashamed about having taken it, but was following his doc’s orders. The doc later said it probably didn’t do anything, which is why I had to ask - why is anyone prescribed this stuff?
This what I think of that dipshit

facebook_1630756097988_6839886824819516060.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of my good friend comes from a nutty Christian fundamentalist family. Has been pleading with them during the whole pandemic to wear masks, get vaccinated. They of course refused. Now both his parents have it and are on oxygen and horse dewormer.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Have a guy on ECMO tonight. Vented/sedated/paralyzed. Had taken Ivermectin. Unvaccinated. He's more or less fucked.

And yeah, what boylagz said.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Finally found a comprehensive Ivermectin story that I could listen to while doing chores. This seems to makes sense.

or

Imma start charging you for my newsletter :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Have a guy on ECMO tonight. Vented/sedated/paralyzed. Had taken Ivermectin. Unvaccinated. He's more or less fucked.

And yeah, what boylagz said.
serious question: how do you not just walk away from people that scream 'bricks aren't real' and then hop on the motorcycle and run into a wall at 70mph like that?

I literally am incapable of doing what you do.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
serious question: how do you not just walk away from people that scream 'bricks aren't real' and then hop on the motorcycle and run into a wall at 70mph like that?

I literally am incapable of doing what you do.
thankfully they are a small percentage of my patient load. i turn that part of the brain off. come in, take care of my patients, go home. fine tuning your levels of empathy/sympathy is key. dial down or up as needed.

the bills aren't going to pay themselves, and mrs. scrub still has not magically turned into a sugar mama.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
:doh:Too much of a stretch to understand that just maybe most of us don't want anybody to die?
Guess that says more about you than me. :disgust1:
Uh yeah, that’s the point. They are close to the epiphany that their automatic opposition on a public health issue is what’s killing them, since they are fighting against measures that aim for harm reduction for everyone.

This shouldn’t be a right/left issue, but now they’re killing themselves and others just to own the libs.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
You got to set your judgement (or whatever other people call it) aside when youre in the biz of health or life. What scrublover said is spot on, once you step in to work theres a switch called WORK MODE, and nothing else kinda matters until you clock out (thats not work related).

Had a buddy from nursing school who moved to London few years back so my age, mid 30s. Got COVID in like May or June 2020, was on ECMO but didnt make it. Just one of our friends by his side when they took him off life supp. Parents were devastated in the Phils. One of my friends brought his ashes home a couple mos. later (til they could grab an available flight). Blows, but #mybodymydecision right? Fvckin idiots.