Quantcast

Cramps!

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I have a major cramping problem in my legs. Can someone recommed salt-potasium, magneblablabla supplement? or any anycramp miracle receipe!

thanks!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Deyv
I have a major cramping problem in my legs. Can someone recommed salt-potasium, magneblablabla supplement? or any anycramp miracle receipe!

thanks!
Midol???:D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
What time of day or situations do you get the leg cramps? During exercise? Just sitting at your desk? Night time? More info please.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
OK, I may or may not have time to come back to this thread later today and spend much time with it, so I'll just give some general info.

Although leg cramps can be a symptom of more serious problems such as diabetes and thyroid problems, typically they're caused by a few easily correctable / treatable factors. Overexertion, dehydration, or lack of certain minerals, vitamins and electrolytes, (usually magnesium is the most deficient).

Check your fluid intake. Make sure you're drinking enough water during the day. Not just a few big glasses all at once, but throughout the day. Make sure you're getting enough potassium, calcium and magnesium. Few of us consume too little sodium, but take a look at that as well. Some people recommend taking a B-6 supplement or a vitamin E supplement. I've even heard that peppermint can help cramps as well, but I have no first hand knowledge of how it works. Make sure you stretch properly, especially AFTER a ride or workout.

So I'd say take vitamins, add a magnesium supplement (maybe like 250mg per day or so), and wash them down with an extra glass or two of water. Watch your caffeine and alcohol intake, and warm-up / cool down properly after work-outs.

If your cramping occurs primarily during workouts, you may just need more interval training to help your body deal with lactic acid. :D

As with any medical condition, you should consult your doctor to see which treatment is best for you, and to ensure you don't have any underlying medical conditions that would be prohibitive to thes types of treatments I've mentioned.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by El Jefe
Watch your caffeine and alcohol intake, and warm-up / cool down properly after work-outs.
I see the problem!

Deyv, cool down means to slowly end your work out, not dive in the cooler and grab a Canadian Brewski.
:D

I would seriously look at your mineral intake. Do you drink a "sports" drink during the ride? I have found that it helps a lot. I use Cytomax. I cramped at a soccer game this spring and once it happens, I am done.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the shameless Hammer Nutrition plug. They make Hammer Gel, E-Caps, and other supplements. I'd recommend the Endurolytes if you're having cramping problems. If you mention my name as a reference, (Jeff Jarvis) they'll take 15% off your first order.

Hammer Nutrition

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by El Jefe
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the shameless Hammer Nutrition plug. They make Hammer Gel, E-Caps, and other supplements. I'd recommend the Endurolytes if you're having cramping problems. If you mention my name as a reference, (Jeff Jarvis) they'll take 15% off your first order.

Hammer Nutrition
Wow thanks El jefe but how can I follow your watch your alchohol income advice when your avatar makes me drool:D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Deyv

Wow thanks El jefe but how can I follow your watch your alchohol income advice when your avatar makes me drool:D
I said "watch your alcohol intake." I said nothing about decreasing it. :thumb:

Oh yeah, I'm assuming it's the Guinness that is making you drool and not the picture of me on the glass. ;) :eek:

MBmaniak

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
Its the potassium in the bananas. I too have the same problem sometimes. I eat at least three bananas before I race. At some road races guys stick bananas in their jersey pockets. Im not coordinated enough to eat a banana while riding in a pack 6 inches away from the guy in front of me.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
I know this goes against every good advice, but drinking cold Pepsi or Coca-Cola helps alleviate my leg cramps, particularly during endurance events...not sure why or how it works, just that it does.