Quantcast

Crank concern

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I have Truvativ Holzfeller cranks, and whenever I remove pedals, it feels like the pedals don't wanna come out. When installing pedals it's fine, but there is a whole lotta resistance when removing pedals. Is this a potential problem? If so, is there a way to remedy this issue? I've looked at the threads on the pedals and the cranks, and they look undamaged, but I'm not really sure what's going on.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
You usually grease the threads, right? If not, then the metal's probably just seizing... a little grease should fix it.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
But seriously, this could just be the cause of a slight difference in tolerances. If the die that cut the crank threads was more worn than the die that cut the pedal threads then you could see a problem like that.

More than likely the pedal would screw in fine but would encounter more resistance on the way out. If this is the case it is probably OK but I would not use alot of torque on the pedals. Over time it will definitely cause an issue though. Just a thought.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by los jefes
But seriously, this could just be the cause of a slight difference in tolerances. If the die that cut the crank threads was more worn than the die that cut the pedal threads then you could see a problem like that.

If this is the case it is probably OK but I would not use alot of torque on the pedals.

Meaning pedal wrench torque of course. Not pedaling.

Turley

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Queensland, Australia
I have exactly the same problem with my holzfellers and Crankbro mallets.

I greased the thread before installing the pedal but now I cannot for the life of me get the drive side pedal off again! :(

Unfortuneatley crankbro mallets don't have the slots for a pedal wrench either so I gotta use a 6mm allenkey which I just seem to be flexing the allenkey when I try to undo it...

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Originally posted by Turley
I have exactly the same problem with my holzfellers and Crankbro mallets.

I greased the thread before installing the pedal but now I cannot for the life of me get the drive side pedal off again! :(

Unfortuneatley crankbro mallets don't have the slots for a pedal wrench either so I gotta use a 6mm allenkey which I just seem to be flexing the allenkey when I try to undo it...

use a high quality allen key to start off with
and try an extension pipe of sort to apply extra torque
make sure the hex key is fully in so that you dont strip the hex hole inside the pedal

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
All my Truvativ's have done that, and my Hussefelts eventually stripped the pedal threads on the cranks. My Holzfellers do it somewhat now. I grease the threads putting them on most of the time too. Chasing the threads might help get some of the junk out.