Quantcast

Crank remove problems

michael-sl

Chimp
Jun 9, 2007
i'm using a 19mm 3-pc crankset, a profile one. i put the cranktool in and hit using a hammer, but i hit hard for half an hour, they just moved 1mm

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
he's talking about bmx cranks you stupid head. and yes take off the sleeve and give it a nice hard wack... should do the trick
I know. But I'm a retard so, it took me a couple minutes after my post to realize what he meant. I would've deleted my post, but again, I'm a retard.

............Sorry, don't pay attention to me. :banghead:

niguet

Monkey
Sep 11, 2005
When i didnt have the cranktool, i just picked a book, put it in the crank, and then just hit the book with a hammer.

prana.ferox

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Seattle, WA
Profile uses insanely tight-fitting splines. In my experience, you just have to really wail on it.

I'm not sure why Profile insists on making us suffer like this. I've used slip-fit splines to transmit more torque than my (or your) legs can produce without issue. Perhaps the tiny teeth on a 48T spline?

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
It looks like in the picture the bearings are actually being hammered out of the frame. Try just taking a rubber mallet and pound on one of the arms. Thats how I always remove my profile cranks and never have an issue with it. I am thinking its not so much a spline problem but that the spindle fits to tightly into the bearings.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
It looks like in the picture the bearings are actually being hammered out of the frame. Try just taking a rubber mallet and pound on one of the arms. Thats how I always remove my profile cranks and never have an issue with it. I am thinking its not so much a spline problem but that the spindle fits to tightly into the bearings.
i had a insane time trying to mount up my arms to a Ti spindle the first time the fit was so tight. its definietly the spline/arm interface