Quantcast

Cranks

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I'm a mtb guy, I've used most mtb type crank setups. I have very limited experience with bmx bb and cranks, I do get the whole adjustable chainline with the bmx type setup though.

So my question is. Can I build a bike with a mid bb and have a similar weight to a 73mm mtb bb without spending 5 hundy on some ti bmx crankset.

I just want a simple setup that I can ride without creaking/wobbling crank arms that doesen't weigh a ton or cost me a whole lot of money.

Keep in mind I will be using 135mm ss hub with disk brake and can fab whatever bb setup I want.

Just to clarify, reasonable weight, reasonable cost andd reasonable durability.

mtb or bmx bb?

Thanks in advance guys. . . .

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Shimano hone crankset
Pretty sure he is looking for a BMX crank set-up.

I run Profiles on 2 different bikes. One with Euro BB and one Spanish BB. I have had no issues with either. Both have Ti spindles. Overall the weight is good and the strength is excellent. Profiles are the standard. Not too much for cost. They just plain work.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
2nd on the profiles theyre sweet and have a lifetime warranty, and if you run a ti spindle it takes off a bunch a wieght and adds a little bit of flex due to ti's nature. another solid bmx setup id say is the oddessy wombolts

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
diety, profile, atomlab....whateva. They all work.

I've run plenty of mtb cranksets on my dirtjumpers (yes single speed) with no problems.

Want to buy some brand new saints? :D

How bout some used profiles? :D

How bout some used saints? :D

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If mtb Deity Vandetta (ive beaten mine good) but if u go bmx, id say the wombolts are the **** right now. (or so the BMXers tell me)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If he runs a mtb bottom bracket (euro or w.e its called) i would recommend the deity vandettas. I have been beating mine pretty good and they have help up great. If he uses a bmx bottom bracket, the bmxers are tellin me the wombolts are great and they seem to love them...

...get it?

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
If he runs a mtb bottom bracket (euro or w.e its called) i would recommend the deity vandettas. I have been beating mine pretty good and they have help up great. If he uses a bmx bottom bracket, the bmxers are tellin me the wombolts are great and they seem to love them...

...get it?
Yes but what exactly is this "bmxer" you speak of? Can I just be an xer? Or do I have to have B and M.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Primo.
No pressing
No pulling
Gotta pop for the Ti spindle or they're a bit heavy.
22mm is a big spindle, but perfect for a mid BB.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
diety, profile, atomlab....whateva. They all work.

I've run plenty of mtb cranksets on my dirtjumpers (yes single speed) with no problems.

Want to buy some brand new saints? :D

How bout some used profiles? :D

How bout some used saints? :D
I would like to get Saints, I have had good luck with all the Shimano cranks I've used but they seem a little spendy. Thats why I was wanted to know if there were any mid bb steups that would do the same job for a little less cash and don't weigh a ton.

I guess I should just dust off the wallet and buy the Saints because you just know they work:)

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Well are you in NEED of a BMX crank or not? I assumed you were going SS and wanted something smaller than a 30t up front which would require a BMX crank. If not then simply go Euro BB and get your choice of MTB crank. Unless spacing issues related to the frame and hub need a BMX set-up, then just go MTB. Saints or Hones (if you can find them).

But again Profiles are the standard. I swear by them. Once you put them on you only take them off to put onto another frame. They just last.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
mid bb's are pretty cheap and will last for years. also the biggest bearings so they're not the lightest. i prefer mid. stupid simple too.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
I would like to get Saints, I have had good luck with all the Shimano cranks I've used but they seem a little spendy. Thats why I was wanted to know if there were any mid bb steups that would do the same job for a little less cash and don't weigh a ton.

I guess I should just dust off the wallet and buy the Saints because you just know they work

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Do Saints work if you have a Mid bottom bracket? I DON'T THINK SO.
Mid BB was CLEARLY STATED IN THE ORIGINAL POST.
I was drinkin while the origonal post was made so it may have been a little gibberish.

I am buildin a new frame for myself so I can do whatever I want.

I was just lookin to compare weight/cost/durability between mtb and mid bb cranksets.

The primos you described sound good, I will look into those.

thanks

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Since you have the choice, I would HIGHLY recommend going with a bmx bottom bracket and cranks. They are so much easier and simpler. No threading! And you can use larger diameter spindles and still have bearings larger than bbs.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
I guess im the only one that hates profiles and all 48 spline bmx tube cranks..?

have seen them break
have broken a pair myself (FSA 48 splines) snapped at pedal spindle
most important- the sharp ass tube sticking out next to your ankle

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
i have profiles on my 20. Not always, but frequently i'll roll out of fakie and catch that f'ing tube on my shin. That and tailwhips are sketchier with profiles than with mtb cranks which are more flush at the spindle

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

...get it?

Of course.

Looks like your mom typed that second post for you.

That first one......not so much.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I guess I should just dust off the wallet and buy the Saints because you just know they work:)

I have TWO pairs. One brand new, current model and one older set.

If you have a frame they'll fit, then seriously, let's talk.

I just bought an 83mm dh frame that neither will fit. I already bought some cranks for my dj bike so they're just sitting unused. I can wheel and deal on price because I really have no use for them.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Kid, pm sent, thanks for the offer.

The other part of my origonal question (not to beat a dead horse) whats the weight difference between a cheap bmx/ profile/ saint setup, I'm not a gram counter, just wondering if its something you will notice comparing complete crank/ bb/ chainring setups or if they are all similar weight.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I guess im the only one that hates profiles and all 48 spline bmx tube cranks..?

have seen them break
have broken a pair myself (FSA 48 splines) snapped at pedal spindle
most important- the sharp ass tube sticking out next to your ankle
Big ass difference between FSA and Profiles. Look at a FSA spindle compared to a Profile one. The FSA looks like it is made out if tin. Very cheaply manufactured compared to a Profile.

Plus if you go 48 spline you can use a Tree Lite splined chainring. Makes that annoying tight spot in your chain obsolete. And super light.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
The other part of my origonal question (not to beat a dead horse) whats the weight difference between a cheap bmx/ profile/ saint setup, I'm not a gram counter, just wondering if its something you will notice comparing complete crank/ bb/ chainring setups or if they are all similar weight.
I'm sure the bmx tubulars are a bit heavier but whats it matter if you're on a skateboard or in a tank when you're ripping that concrete berm??? Unless Kid has those Saints for ya, I'd go cheap and tubular.

you gonna be around Sunday?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Your right Jason, I just try to find a balance between strength/weight and cost and Saints and profiles are both great parts but not cheap either. But in hindsight I also wouldn't be having the problems I am having with my cranks if I bought saints or profiles from the start. Oh well, live and learn. I will never buy RaceFace sh!t again I know that for sure.

I will be around Sunday for sure but the weather is iffy, we are getting dumped on now and into saturday so it could be soft. The kids are planning on riding so if its good get in on the fun :)