Quantcast

Crashby goes to Europe

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
finally to the "Grassmarket"... this is an area where I will be spending much of my weekend...

blurb:
For centuries the area served as the site for public executions. The Grassmarket also served as the city's main weekly market after being granted a charter by James III in 1477.

The area is now one of Edinburgh's main night spots with numerous pubs and clubs lining the street.

Sir Walter Scott described the Grassmarket in his 1818 novel The Heart of Midlothian:

In former times, England had her Tyburn, to which the devoted victims of justice were conducted in solemn procession up what is now called Oxford Street. In Edinburgh, a large open street, or rather oblong square, surrounded by high houses, called the Grassmarket, was used for the same melancholy purpose. It was not ill chosen for such a scene, being of considerable extent, and therefore fit to accommodate a great number of spectators, such as are usually assembled by this melancholy spectacle. On the other hand, few of the houses which surround it were, even in early times, inhabited by persons of fashion; so that those likely to be offended or over deeply affected by such unpleasant exhibitions were not in the way of having their quiet disturbed by them.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I decided to dine at the "Beehive Inn".

So, ummm, you know how you say something like "Man, that bar's been arond forever!", and that means like 8 years or something? This puppy's been around for 152 years...

Oh, I almost forgot "Crikey the Guinness is good here"... :D

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
So... filled with fish, chips, fresh peas and good stout beer, I make by way across the cobbles in the light evening rain... the sun manages to peek out behind the clouds for a brief second and light up the raindrops like sapphires...

(Please disregard the scaffolding on the 18th century church...thank you)

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
Originally posted by Crashby
So... filled with fish, chips, fresh peas and good stout beer, I make by way across the cobbles in the light evening rain... the sun manages to peek out behind the clouds for a brief second and light up the raindrops like sapphires...

(Please disregard the scaffolding on the 18th century church...thank you)
Impressive!!! thats one beautiful picture right there!!!!:thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by Crashby
I decided to dine at the "Beehive Inn".

So, ummm, you know how you say something like "Man, that bar's been arond forever!", and that means like 8 years or something? This puppy's been around for 152 years...

Oh, I almost forgot "Crikey the Guinness is good here"... :D
Is the Guinness really better over there (because it's fresher or something) or are you trying to make us more jealous ;)

Keep these pics coming....I need my daily fix!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Village Idiot
So whats the biggest culture shock been so far then?
the usage of "arse" instead of a$s I guess...

seriously though, the biggest shock so far has been that there has not been a culture shock... shocking that I heard MJ on the restaurant CD player... shocking that I see a Miller light bar pull at all the pubs... shocking that I see Kona's all over the streets... shocking that the place everyone at the office went to lunch is freakin’ Pizza Hut...

oh... and they call fries "chips" - I guess thats quite shocking:rolleyes: :p

I suppose a town like Glasgow would be more ethnic... (as would Japan I suppose :p

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by TreeSaw
Is the Guinness really better over there (because it's fresher or something) or are you trying to make us more jealous ;)

Keep these pics coming....I need my daily fix!
smoother and more delicious for sure... but the best is in Ireland I hear...

last time I was in Ireland was when I was 9 years old... didnt sample it back then:p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This thread is fantastic. :)

I'd really like to get to England some time. There seems to be such much more character in the buildings and towns that what we see 'round these parts.

Thanks for the pics and stories, Crashby.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
the fekkin workweek is finally over and I need some R-n-R. I worked me arse off this week, but it all went quite well, so well worth it.

Time to go out for some food and wiskey...

so... I started out with the idea of just grabbing some food, and relaxing back at my flat... but I got sidetracked by Edinburgh...

I ended up walking 5-6 miles around Edinburgh Castle

... on the way to somewhere...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
It was raining most of the evening, so light was an issue... some of the pictures came out alright, some are a bit wanting, but here they are...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thomas Guthrie, the son of a successful merchant, was born in Brechin in 1780. Educated at his local school, Guthrie was such a brilliant scholar that he was only twelve years old when he entered the University of Edinburgh in 1792.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Dean Cemetery is a cemetery in Dean Village in Edinburgh, Scotland. It stands on the site of Dean House, part of Dean Estate, purchased by Sir William Nesbit in 1609.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Richmond Park, extending over some 955 hectares (2,360 acres), is a heritage landscape of national importance. The Park was enclosed as a hunting park by Charles I in 1637 and still retains many ingredients of a medieval deer park. Essential to its character is the rich landscape of semi-natural acidic grassland, areas of bog and bracken, wetland, woodland and ancient parkland trees, and the herds of fallow and red deer that still roam the park.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
The Edinburgh Castle is omnipresent from most major roads...

(for those of you playing at home: omnipresent \om-nuh-PREZ-uhnt\, adjective:Present in all places at the same time; ubiquitous.)

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
1000's of acres of gardens around the castle were closed for the day... lets see how fast I get kicked out tomorrow runnin' Edinburgh Castle "urban style":devil:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
ohhh man, if it were only sunny for this pic... (and I had halway decent equipment)... anyway, here is the runner up photo of the day...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
FINALLY... some food and drink at Maggie Dickson's, named after a:

"Notorious Musselburgh fish-wife who came back from the dead. Dickson was publicly hanged in Edinburgh's Grassmarket in 1728 for killing her illegitimate baby. Her husband had been working in the fisheries at Newcastle for about a year, when Maggie found she was pregnant, and to conceal her shame, she killed her baby. Her body was taken down, placed in a coffin and transported back to Musselburgh for burial. However, as the cart carrying her rattled over the cobbled streets, she was shaken back to life. Her relatives heard a noise and opened the coffin to reveal indeed that Maggie was very much alive. On the basis that she had been pronounced legally dead, it was decided that she could not be executed for a second time and she was released to live a long and happy life, during which she ran a nearby ale-house and produced many further children."

...of couse now outfitted with a 42" plasma TV to show the local rugby game... (really cool railing along the bar too)