Quantcast

Creaking DJ 1

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Anywhere but here.
So my 03 Dj1 is creaking pretty bad. Any one had any experience with this as far as sending it back. I'm not looking to trade it in either. Just want it fixed. Yes I have taken a pretty good digger on it but I thought these things were bomber. It started doing it and getting worse just a couple weeks ago. It sounds like it's comming from the steer tube. I'm running a King headset and the frame is 3mo old.
Thanks for any info.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
This is not an uncommon problem with certain models of Marz. Cross refference the downhill forum and search for fork creaking info, its deffinately there. My friend recently sent back an '02 (I think it was an '02 anyway) with the same issue, and Marz took care of them. So, beyond a shadow of a doubt, you should contact the Marz and ask them to help you out. From what I have been hearing, they have been taking care of people and solving this problem.

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
A friend of mines has the same fork and has the same exact problem u encountered. He contacted Marzocchi and they said" Yeah the 03 models made the creak noise and if u want if fixed, send it to us BUT THERE WILL BE A CHARGE". I personally don't understand that answer form them, i'll leave that alone and have the creaking noise.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Look under the crown, there are two bolt holes (for a fender), infront of those bolt holes you will probably notice hair line cracks, I've seen 7 or 8 different 03 dirt jumpers do this, It is very common. When they crack the fork will start creaking! Fortunately Zocchi is a good company, and they fix them at no cost, in fact they replace the entire uppers with the 04's.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
mine kreeks also... but I take it out, lube it like crazy... and then put it back on very carfully and make sure my headset is nice and tight. I need to do that soon before something bad happens

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Anywhere but here.
yeh, we stuck the steer tube in a vice and sure enough, the steer tube would move around as the lowers were tugged on. Again, Marz is hookin it up under wrnty w/ 04 goods.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
I sent back my 02 DJ1 twice, traded up to an 03, then sent that one back too. Those things just creak. According to Marz it is not dangerous, but I traded to a DC fork anyway. It was a hassle being without a fork for a couple weeks at a time.

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Anywhere but here.
So I sent the "creaking fork" to Marz. They hooked it up w/ an 04 blk crown and stanctions. All covered under wrnty. Thanks Brent @ Bike Sport Shop too. Nice bro noice. :cool:

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
It shouldn't take to long. I would think not much longer than the time to ship it. All they do is change out the uppers. Twice I've had problems, but I'm local, so I just drive mine up there and they replace it on the spot.

On another note every single crown with a steel tube I've owned from them has failed. The last one I rode had the new reinforced aluminum steerer and it held up good. No creaking. Maybe it has something to do with the harder steel deforming the aluminum? Anyways, I would ask and see if you can have that one instead. I'm not sure it would work with a dirt jumper though, but never the less worth a try.

An good indicator to tell you if its your fork making the noise and not your headset is that the steering will tighten up around the 3 and 8 oclock posistions. That is when it gets pretty bad. If its not tightening up your headset then personally I wouldn't worry about it.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
well my steerer is so loose now that you can flip the bike upside down and put your finger on the bottom of the steerer and feel it move independently of the crown. f.y.i. i have the 03 dj 3 with the aluminum steerer and it is bbaaaddd. I am sending it back tuesday, hopefully it wont take too long.

mr.terrible

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
Finland
drt_jumper said:
How long does it take to warranty It? I need to send mine in just wondering how long it usually takes? thanks
I had those hairline cracks near the fender mounts, a very common problem. I Sent the fork over to Marzocchi about two moths ago and they still havn't sent it back. Talk about customer care, yeah right.... :nope: Things might be a little better across the "pond" though.