Quantcast

Crested Butte?

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Ok, my brother is thinking about a vaca with his family from 6/16 - 6/23. Wants me to join them for the trip. Tell me something about the mtb scene. I've got an '07 Big Hit FSR 3 for shuttle runs, an '02 Turner RFX for "trail riding" (6" x 6"), and an '03 Specialized Epic (4/5" x 3"). Or I could pack a road bike. Or rent if there are suitable, uh, "high endish" options...

1. Is it worth burning a week's vacation to join them?

2. If so, what bike do I bring and am I obligated for a vehicle ride to get to the trail head? (Don't know details yet...supposedly a buddy of his owns a home there) Any Monkeys in the area willing to lend a hand?

3. His VM said we'll pick you up in Albequerque. Um, he's got 4 year old twins...how gawd awful of a drive is it from there????

4. Any other advice for a MA monkey??? Please, post or PM me !!!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
  1. Yes.
  2. Turner, be prepared for long, awesome, epic rides up and down.
  3. It's not a Gawd awful drive at all, unless you're in the car with 4 yr old twins. See if there's some other place to pick you up.
  4. You're there RIGHT before Fat Tire Bike Week, but you'll get to catch a day or so of the Wildflower Rush lunacy.
    Wildflower Rush
    Fat Tire Bike Week

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Crested Butte is SICK! Its my favorite place for XC. I'd say bring the RFX to do a little bit of everything. Wildflower Rush and FTBW are awesome. A lot of fun at those two events.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, he mentioned it's the week before Fat Tire Bike Week but too hard for him to take vacation at the end of the month.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Breck?

You mean Breckenridge?

Breck is your favorite Colorado town?

:shocked:
Come on, Breck's a pretty cool town.

CB is cool cuz of the people and NOTHING else. WP is rather generic except for that awesome cajun restaurant. Staying AT Keystone is fun, but Dillon itself is nothing special. Copper itself is bland. Ouray is fun in it's charm. If you're strictly into hiking, Estes Park is great. Glenwood is a fun place to explore.

What's your favorite small town?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

What's your favorite small town?
I like Crested Butte, Ouray, Silverton, Steamboat Springs, Fruita (of course), Gunnison, Creede....

I really like Aspen, too.

Breck's alright except for the crowds and the stripmallyness. :disgust1:

I actually don't like Winter Park or Fraser much, even though it's my favorite close place to ski.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Sisco, Just over the boarder into Utah off I-70, but Its basically Colorado, and probably the coolest little town in the world.

I believe the correct spelling is Cisco.....Dude, if it's gonna be your favorite town, you gotta know how to spell it at least.... :bonk:

On topic, the butte has LOTS of awesome riding. You're definately gonna want the Turner, the others would be over kill in one direction or the other.

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
Crested Butte is a great place for fledgling alcoholics to make the jump into the big time. The riding is epic but the season can be frustratingly short.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
Fav's are CB, Steamboat, Durango, and Nederland.

CB is the land of awesome s/t, but there will still be snow on some trails in mid June (be prepared for scary storms, mud, and pushing through snow). Definitely get down to Gunnison for some good dry riding-Hartman Rocks!