Quantcast

Crow's Foot Lacing for DH?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I know that this lacing pattern was bigger back in the 50's and 60's, but I was wondering if anyone has laced 36h DH/DS wheels in this pattern. Seems like an easy way to build up a wheel with a bit more lateral stiffness.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, I laced basically a 32 hole crows foot, Pics to follow, road wheel, and it is anything BUT stiff. Its ok, and ridable, but I wouldnt call it stiff. Fun wheel to take out and trip people out, but I wouldnt run it all the time.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's actually a harder wheel to build since your spoke lengths will vary.
And yeah, not still because some of the spokes are straight. ie, not contributing to stiffness.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wouldnt really call it a "hard" wheel to build. More Tedious than anything else. The one I did was easy, half 3x length, half radial.
I'd agree. I've watched it done (never laced one myself), and for all the extra effort that goes into it, there any really any substantial strength/performance benefits to justify the extra labor.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I'd agree. I've watched it done (never laced one myself), and for all the extra effort that goes into it, there any really any substantial strength/performance benefits to justify the extra labor.
Yeah, its all about conversation peices. Its cool to have, but there really isnt any reall benefit. Although I nice 5 spoke crows foot looks really friggin cool on a Hi wheeler with 50 spokes.

Oct 14, 2007
the traditional crow's its 3 spokes interlacing...whereas on the picture is 4 crossing...anyhow both are week....there main application is for hybrid wheels

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car
what about wheels laced with the chicken-wire style which was the rage in the late 90's for downhill, those were supposed to be pretty stong as well as overly heavy. They were pretty cool looking.
I did a search on google to try and find a pic of one but no luck. Anyone else?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Those, were truly a Pain in the ass. YOu run long spokes, and twist them up till they fit. No, they wernt stronger, they flexed badly, and were an absolute pain to get tensioend up. Used to be a big thing for wheel chairs to lace a wheel like that

I wills eeif I can find a picture

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
I completely blew up a set like that on a SS 29er. Started popping spokes (to the tune of 1 or 2 every 40 miles or so) after the first 500 miles. they'd break right at the center. The wheels are NOT any stiffer than a properly tensioned wheel, FWIW. Looked cool, started conversation, but not reliable.