Quantcast

Cunego's stock dropped like a rock today...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So much for that. I've already seen people say maybe he's playing possum and going after the Tour de France, which is laughable. He's working for Simoni now...

The golden boy isn't so golden at the moment. I wonder if Simoni was nice to him at dinner tonight? :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Silver said:
So much for that. I've already seen people say maybe he's playing possum and going after the Tour de France, which is laughable. He's working for Simoni now...

The golden boy isn't so golden at the moment. I wonder if Simoni was nice to him at dinner tonight? :D
I think the problem with analyzing stage racers is the standard set by the greatest: Lance won 6 in a row, Indurain won 5 in a row. Consistency is the key.

Is Damiano done? Probably, for this Giro. But I would not write him off as lucky. There are lots of stage racers which win only 2 or 3, like Fignon.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
He sure as hell isn't playing possum for later in the race...unless he knows something the rest of the field doesn't know. I'd still be glad to have him as a helper for me. He'll still pull off at least a stage win (or more) before it's over. Still...six minutes?!?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Isn't Cunego like 25 or so? Awful young to be competitive throughout a 3wk stage race. Wait'll he matures before counting him out.

Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
DBR X6 RIDER said:
This suddendly got me thinking about a young upstart that won the TdF in '97. Both Ulrich and Cunego had team leaders that won their respective tours the year before. Odd.
Very interesting observation.

I think Cunego's still got a stage win in him for sure.

How about Basso though. He really put on a hurt fest today, eh?

At least Savoldeli had the class to admit he owed Basso an apology for sitting on then sprinting him for the stage.

Great stuff. Too bad the "Only Lance Network" can't see fit to show us any. Yes, I've tried the online coverage but missed the part about it not working on a Mac. Doh!

Cheers!
-Ian

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Hahaha! I thought I was the only one that called OLN that! My other variation is Over Lanced Network.
After reading the live coverage on cyclingnews.com, it sounds like Basso was just toying with them...taking the initiative instead of waiting for others to attack.
Savoldelli's descent prior to the final climb was crucial and worked to perfection. Major class-points to him for apologizing to Basso for sure. Basso won't dwell on it at all knowing he's in the lead with a huge psychological blow dealt to the other contenders...the few that remain have to wonder what else is in store. I still think Simoni can make his mark, unless Basso is just warming up.:eek:
Barring a Beloki-esque accident, Cunego will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. He was the kid from nowhere last year and quickly became a marked man with HUGE expectations placed upon him. Once he adapts to that, he's going to be a fearsome rider.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DBR X6 RIDER said:
He sure as hell isn't playing possum for later in the race...unless he knows something the rest of the field doesn't know. I'd still be glad to have him as a helper for me. He'll still pull off at least a stage win (or more) before it's over. Still...six minutes?!?
Another Lance ploy. I think in his second TdF, he played possum on the Alpe D'Huez stage. He acted sick, riding in the back of the front group, making everyone think he would not be all there for the Alpe ascent. He had a weak team that year, and he avoided a bunch of attacks because everyone thought he would blow up on the Alpe.

However, Lance did not drop 7 minutes to his competitors. He simply rode passively, looking ill, until the time he dropped the hammer.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
goneskiian said:
At least Savoldeli had the class to admit he owed Basso an apology for sitting on then sprinting him for the stage.
Savo did nothing that he owed anyone an apology for. He used the situation of the race to put himself into the best position to win the stage, put time into the field and measure himself against Basso. Basso could have played cat and mouse with him but chose not to.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
sanjuro said:
Another Lance ploy. I think in his second TdF, he played possum on the Alpe D'Huez stage. He acted sick, riding in the back of the front group, making everyone think he would not be all there for the Alpe ascent. He had a weak team that year, and he avoided a bunch of attacks because everyone thought he would blow up on the Alpe.

However, Lance did not drop 7 minutes to his competitors. He simply rode passively, looking ill, until the time he dropped the hammer.
I will never forget that stage for as long as I live. I don't think there was anybody outside of the team that didn't think he was in difficulty. The best part is he was using technology to his advantage, knowing everybody was watching this on TV and listening on race-radio.
Bruyneel is a freaking genius. Riis is easily on the same pedestal. All the same, they can't touch Manolo Saiz - who else can scream "Venga!Venga!Venga!Venga!" for an hour straight?:)

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
I agree. Savo's move on the descent was a good one. I try to do that as much as possible when I'm racing. That is get off the front before the climb(s) so I can climb at my pace. Has worked for me in the past.

Savo did nothing that he owed anyone an apology for. He used the situation of the race to put himself into the best position to win the stage, put time into the field and measure himself against Basso. Basso could have played cat and mouse with him but chose not to.
Well, OK, I agree with you on the first two points. I think if Savo really wanted to measure himself against Basso he would have attacked him on the climb. Yes, Basso could have tried to make him come around and take a pull but he was clearly just focussed on gaining time on his other rivals and not on the stage win. Or, maybe he thought he could tow Savo to the line and still beat him in the sprint?

I don't know everyone's experience here but if you've ever done any road racing you know sitting on and sprinting just isn't considered "classy". Yes, sometimes it's necessary to win but winning isn't always everything.

How's that for an effective use of cliches? ;-)

Cheers!
-Ian

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
goneskiian said:
I don't know everyone's experience here but if you've ever done any road racing you know sitting on and sprinting just isn't considered "classy". Yes, sometimes it's necessary to win but winning isn't always everything.
OTOH, winning a stage in the Giro, when you're an Italian, is a career.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
goneskiian said:
What's a stage when you've already got a pink jersey hanging in your trophy case! ;-)
Especially a brand new one. So if you can get a stage and a jersey all the better....

1 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel-Pro Cycling Team 60.31.12
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.50
3 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 0.53

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
I hear that!

I knew he'd won the Giro before but I didn't realize he'd never won a stage. So, OK, he didn't need to apologize for taking Basso to the line a couple days ago. :sneaky:

Let's see if he can hold it through tomorrow. Should be a rough day in the saddle. OUCH! Hopefully the Discovery boys can pull together and give him a bit more help than he got today. Ryder pulled the plug today. Bummer.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Damn! This is not only one of the best GdI of recent history, it's setting up to become one of the best grand tours of recent history if it keeps up like this.
Gotta' feel for Basso...he looked horrible today. Not much you can do when the body breaks down. Di Luca is having the season of his life. If he manages a podium finish, that would be incredible considering his efforts in the classics.

One more week!:)

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Di Luca is definitely the surprise of the Giro.

I just took a look at the rest of the stages and they just keep climbing and climbing. OUCH! This is definitely very exciting. Simoni's still in with a chance too.

Great racing!

-Ian

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
The Toninator said:
man i just caught up. i cant believe basso tanked it. He was large and in charge. maybe his HGH ran out?
HGH doesn't make you ride any faster than you already can. HGH only helps you recover from hard workouts quicker than normal.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
mattv2099 said:
HGH doesn't make you ride any faster than you already can. HGH only helps you recover from hard workouts quicker than normal.
And eventually makes you look like the Incredible Hulk, except for the green part. It sounds like Basso was ****ting through a needle and puking all night before the stage, so no wonder he took a beating. I still think he's one of the classiest and strongest guys out there. He didn't whine and step off; he rode all the way and got back on today. Awesome. I hope he's on fire in the TdF, if he ends up riding it this year.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jaydee said:
And eventually makes you look like the Incredible Hulk, except for the green part. It sounds like Basso was ****ting through a needle and puking all night before the stage, so no wonder he took a beating. I still think he's one of the classiest and strongest guys out there. He didn't whine and step off; he rode all the way and got back on today. Awesome. I hope he's on fire in the TdF, if he ends up riding it this year.
yea i was just kidding about the hgh duh. that dude was on. it totally sucks he got sick. he's stayed in thats awesome!

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Basso definitely earned some serious "Tough Guy" points for not climbing off and going home the other day on the Stelvio. I think most anybody else would have pulled the plug (except maybe Tyler). Good to see him feeling better and lighting it up today. He deserved a stage win at least.

The stage that finishes at Sestriere should be a real brute. Looking forward to seeing how that 8 km dirt section at the top of the 18.5 km, 9.2% Colle delle Finestre treats these guys. I love doing gravel roads on my road bike!

Cheers!
-Ian

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
No Giro title this year for Basso, but it sounds like he blazed everybody on the last climb to get today's stage. Still a TT tomorrow to warm the kettle - if not shake things up even more than they've been shaken before the BIG shakedown on Saturday.

This looks like a pretty mellow stage...if it weren't a TT

This race has been so closely/hotly contested that I began to wonder if they'd do a sudden death overtime if there were two riders tied for the best time in the GC:confused:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Savoldelli has been riding his race so far. Hanging when he can, taking time when he can (the bonus seconds on his stage win could come in very handy) limiting his loses when he can't but above all not panicing. All this with a less than ideal team.

Its hard to say what'll happen but if Savoldelli continues to ride as he has, Simoni or Rujano won't be able to catch him. Unless Salvodelli completely implodes ala Basso.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Looks like Savoldelli's got a bit more breathing room after the TT today. Basso threw down something fierce today! He's back with a vengence.

Di Luca's done and Simoni's now another minute back. It's not over till it's over, especially with tomorrow's stage up the Finestre.

Should be fun watching the battle for the last podium spot though! ;)

Cheers!
-Ian

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
DRB said:
Savoldelli has been riding his race so far. Hanging when he can, taking time when he can (the bonus seconds on his stage win could come in very handy) limiting his loses when he can't but above all not panicing. All this with a less than ideal team.

Its hard to say what'll happen but if Savoldelli continues to ride as he has, Simoni or Rujano won't be able to catch him. Unless Salvodelli completely implodes ala Basso.
Savoldelli had some solid rides in the races leading up to the Giro, so I'm not really surprised he's in a podium postition. What does surprise me is that he's been doing it with a less-than-stellar team to back him...what team is left at this point.
Yeah, tomorrow's going to be one helluva' doozy. You never know what will happen until it happens...which is why they actually race the stages.
I work until 6pm tomorrow, so I'll have to set the VCR so I can see it when I get home.

It will be interesting to see what Basso does in the TdF if he can come into it with his current form.:think: