Quantcast

Current Hayes HMX-1s vs. '00 Magura Louises?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hi.

I'm runnig Hayes HMX-1 mechanicals on both my XCish bike and my slalom bike. Starting to get sick of my SRAM levers flexing and am contemplating a switch to some hydro discs. I've seen a bunch of great deals on '00 Magura Louise brakes, but I've never know anyone whos actually ridden them. I used to have a pair of HS-33s, which I like until they started to leak everywhere.

Anyway, any thoughts? Basically everything else is out of my price range, because I really odn't want to spend that much. Otherwise I'd just stick with my Hayes mechs.

Thanks!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Colin
Hi.

I'm runnig Hayes HMX-1 mechanicals on both my XCish bike and my slalom bike. Starting to get sick of my SRAM levers flexing and am contemplating a switch to some hydro discs. I've seen a bunch of great deals on '00 Magura Louise brakes, but I've never know anyone whos actually ridden them. I used to have a pair of HS-33s, which I like until they started to leak everywhere.

Anyway, any thoughts? Basically everything else is out of my price range, because I really odn't want to spend that much. Otherwise I'd just stick with my Hayes mechs.

Thanks!
Get better levers. SRAM levers are flexy as hell, which I finf nice for v-brakes actually, helps the modulation, but sucks for HMX.

Avid speed dials can be had on ebay, etc, for next to nothing.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Avid mechanical discs with SD-5 levers is the shweetest disc setup to be had in that price range.

That being said, the Magura brakes are very good... but i think the 2000s used plastic lever blades... perhaps look into getting some replacement metal ones, or the '02 brakes...

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Yeah, it's just I can't stand the slop in Avid levers. I've never had a pair hat felt solid -- aside from my friends Ultimates, which are a little pricy.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
There are some real V-brake levers in the buy and sell forum for $20. Very, Very, Very sweet levers. I think they are in mantis2000's ad.
Thought this might help....

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
The 2000's do come with plastic levers, but they are very comfortable, and if you're scared of breaking them, don't tighten the hex all the way, just enough so that they don't give to normal hand pressure. That way, if you crash, the brake body will turn on the handlbear instead of snapping the lever