Quantcast

Cutting a Michelin Comp 24.1

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
Specialized Roller RS Pro tires take kindly to having the farthest outside knobs trimmed so they have more of a shoulder. Great all around tire after that....well except for the really snotty slimy roots.

Panaracer Fire DH and XC Pro tires are the same way too.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Salami said:
I know this an old thread but I have a few questions before I cut up a good tire.

How does the tire perform in dry and hard pack conditions after the cut? Would a Comp 32 front and cut 24.1 rear be a good combo for mostly dry, tacky conditions with some wet areas? I am trying to sort out my bike for my trip to Whistler next week and will have a couple of extra tires with me in case condtions change a lot or I damage a tire.
I rode Whistler with the 24.1 front and rear. I don't see the reason for a big Comp 32 up front as its soo smooth. I had both front and rear cut and it worked great for dry and muddy conditions. Unfortunately I have not tried to run the 24.1 uncut.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
CBJ said:
I don't see the reason for a big Comp 32 up front as its soo smooth.
Because it is new.

I have 4 Michelin's: Comp 32 (new), Comp 16 2.5 (75%), 2 Comp 24.1's (one 95%, one about 50%). I figured the best combo (given what I have) would be a Comp 32 Fr and a Comp 24.1 Rr.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Jeremy R said:
No need to.
It works better on both dry and wet cut. :)
Dry as in dry, Whistler "type" groomed conditions? I will cut the tire if it will handle just as well dry as the uncut version. My thinking is, if the conditions suddenly get wet (though very unlikely) I can throw a Comp16 on the front and be ready to go.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Salami said:
Because it is new.

I have 4 Michelin's: Comp 32 (new), Comp 16 2.5 (75%), 2 Comp 24.1's (one 95%, one about 50%). I figured the best combo (given what I have) would be a Comp 32 Fr and a Comp 24.1 Rr.
Arhhh I see and yes I would take a new fresh tire over something used. I ran my Whistler worn out 24.1 Saturday and put the front in the rear and a new one up front Sunday and what a difference it was. All of sudden the bike tracked again.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Salami said:
Dry as in dry, Whistler "type" groomed conditions? I will cut the tire if it will handle just as well dry as the uncut version. My thinking is, if the conditions suddenly get wet (though very unlikely) I can throw a Comp16 on the front and be ready to go.
I like that tire better when cut in ALL conditions.
But if is dry, you are not gonna notice a real difference,
so if you can throw on Comp 16 when you want, cutting is optional.
Have fun, I wish I was there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
so if you can throw on Comp 16 when you want, cutting is optional.
Have fun, I wish I was there.
advise from a guy running his Comp 16 backwards for the last 2 weeks in a row.... :D

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Jeremy R said:
As long as the tire doesn't handle any worse in the dry I think it might be best for me to cut the tire. This way if the conditions get soft/wet it will have better traction than if I left it uncut. Sounds like a win/win except for the fact I have to actually perform the cut. :dead:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I would love to run a Comp32 on the front, if one would only fit on my Super T. It'd be great for all the bumpy trails, which is what I like best. If I was riding Dirt Merchant and A-Line all day long, I wouldn't be running something so knobby as you don't need to - I think big knobs are actually a bit of a detriment in dry conditions on such groomed trails. However, riding bumpy trails, gotta love the bigger tire.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Salami said:
As long as the tire doesn't handle any worse in the dry I think it might be best for me to cut the tire. This way if the conditions get soft/wet it will have better traction than if I left it uncut. Sounds like a win/win except for the fact I have to actually perform the cut. :dead:
wear a riding glove when you do the cut to prevent blisters. Ask Jeremy about cutting a tire the night b4 a race and having to ride with a blistered palm.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
If you wonder about how well that electric tire groover works, think about what it would take to do THIS to the 36" Super Swamper truck tire on the right:

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
the fact that many motor sports trim tires doesn't mean it actually works. jeezus, there are superstitious folks even in Formula 1 racing of black box race cars.

now if you were siping the blocky knobs, I might have some empathy for this stunt. but as it is, it sounds like a Snipe Hunt.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
gonzostrike said:
the fact that many motor sports trim tires doesn't mean it actually works. jeezus, there are superstitious folks even in Formula 1 racing of black box race cars.

now if you were siping the blocky knobs, I might have some empathy for this stunt. but as it is, it sounds like a Snipe Hunt.
in motorsports, buying a tire groover can save you hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tires every year. Take a 125 motocross bike, race it a few times and wear the edge off the knob. Then take a tire groover and trim a few millimeters off the face of each knob and go back out and twist the throttle. It makes HUGE difference. It's not the case in MTB though b/c you can't salvage a worn Dh tire by trimming the knobs..they're pretty much toast.

Siping a tire in motorsports makes HUGE difference....minutes worth of time in rally racing if you don't trim the tires before a really gravelly segment....the tires will just slip and slide everywhere and not bite when you hit the throttle.

The thing that really hits home in terms of how much traction you gain from trimming knobs in this instance (michelin compy 24) when you hold the cut knobs in your hand and see how much space just opened up on your tire to allow the side knobs to dig in deeper. Also, spinning an uncut one next to a cut one makes it very, very obvious.