Quantcast

CX, Lets talk tires/pressure

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've been running my Dugast Rhyno 32s in the dry conditions around here. I tried going with 40 psi in the dry/dust/sand, but it was a little bit too hard and I didn't feel like I was hooking up. It seems 35 in the front and 40 in the rear is working better. What tires/pressure is everyone running?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
My teammate was running 28 and 30 in his Tufo tubies. He told me to do the same(being the cross expert and all), though I did 32 and 35. Mistake. I was rolling the tire in every corner. Granted, I was running Michelin clinchers. He's fired from the position of tire pressure consultant.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think you have to look at how much the tire is deforming under your weight. If the contact patch is out past the knobs your too low. I set pressure so that I get a noticable bulge. But you also have to factor in the course. Does it have sharp edges roots or rocks? Up the psi. Smooth but wet and slick, maybe down the psi a bit. Rider weight is of course of utmost importance. I'm 140 so I run way less than my 180 pound friend. As you noticed, too low and tire kinda folds in corners.