Quantcast

CX on the road?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
so is it a bad idea to buy a CX bike, throw some roadie tires on it for the summer, then put the CX tires back on in the fall to do some CX racing?

is gearing a issue?

The one I am looking at has 38/49 Chainrings & a 12-27 in the back

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
I love those gear ratios for long recreational rides in hilly or mountainous terrain.

On my Ciocc road bike I use FSA compact cranks with 48/36 chainrings and a 12-25 cluster. If I am doing a long ride and I'm going fast enough to spin out a 48/12, it is more energy efficient for me to coast it out and save the energy for a climb.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I switch tires on my CX bike all the time. It's fun enough on the road and more versatile than a road bike.

Gearing is okay, but not ideal. It depends on your terrain and what you're intending as far as CX use, but I'd want a lower small ring and a higher large one. I run a triple, which works well enough for my purposes. I think a standard compact size (like 50-34) would also be good. I'd say try it out and see what you like.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I have a roadie, but its botom of the line (sora parts) & has a triple (but I dont use the small ring).

I'd like to have a better road bike & I'd like to have a CX bike to race in the fall, but cant afford both.

Anyone have a guess at what speed I'd spin out at?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
My CX bike rides nicer than my roadie, but I haven't actually rolled with road tires on it. I plan to have semi slicks this week and will have it see more road duty. I have 36/50 compacts on mine, just like the road bike.

I'm putting some 39/53s on the roadie to see if I hate that bike less with compacts.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have a roadie, but its botom of the line (sora parts) & has a triple (but I dont use the small ring).

I'd like to have a better road bike & I'd like to have a CX bike to race in the fall, but cant afford both.

Anyone have a guess at what speed I'd spin out at?
I had the same Iron Horse roadie and over the winter I upgraded to a CX bike. I love the versatility and I'm finding that I can ride my old road loops just as faster or faster on the new bike. Plus, it's great to spot some gravel or dirt and know you can ride it. For gearing, I have a compact double. Not sure of the gear ratios offhand....I had a triple on my road bike.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
FWIW...

I picked up a Scott CX Team bike at the end of last summer. I've been commuting to work and back on pavement for the last couple of months...wore out the original tires (35C), slapped some 23C roadie tires on it, switched out the Truvativ compact cranks (Bent the big ring [50T] just from the torque of going up hills...loosened the axle up too...sigh...) for a DuraAce full size crank set (53/39).

I just like the ride I get from the CX frame...It's a little bit more stout for a guy like me. You should have no issue at all with dual purposing it. If you want to go faster, just pedal more. :pirate2:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
so...basically now I'm using 52/42 & a 12-25
I'm making the switch from full time road bike to CX bike for Rhode and Trail as SOON as my frame comes in. (taking for ever.) i've bought a cheapie perfrormance cx frame (carbon fork, headset and frame for $250!)
I'll be running ultegra cranks 53/39 (full on rhodie $60 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=2954&PID=484346&cm_ven=CJ&cm_pla=484346&cm_ite=New+-+Bike+Nashbar&cm_cat=1069410 - still looking for a cheap BB for it though) and a 12-25 cassette.
So no, it doesnt seem like too bad of an idea.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I just took the Crosswolf knobbies off my Redline Conquest Pro CX this week and put on some Conty Gatorskin 25c tires. My commute got a lot smoother and faster and I can save the knobbies for cross season.