Quantcast

Cycling Socks

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
They're the most comfortable socks ever.

I recently got two pairs for my birthday...I didn't know what to ask to my father in law...so I though I could try some cycling socks. I never really believed they were worth it, but they really are.

I would now say that if I could, I'd only wear cycling socks.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I've never been a fan of cycling socks. They are too short and I don't like how some are padded. I want to be able to feel my shoe on foot, not a squishy blob of sock. Also they cost much more than they should, and I can't deal with the retarded paterns or prints. Lately it's been mens dress socks for me. They are taller, thin, solid black, synthetic mat'l, and $2 a pair.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I like 'em because they're Coolmax. The fancy designs are usually covered by Anklebiters. I pick them up all the time at events, can't have too many pairs :D

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I like em cause there: thin, cool, dry, low and comfy.

In winter i just wear plain thick socks (ones that come up to yer ankles).

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
They're short because you don't need anything tall, thin so shoes can fit close and not move too much and of wicking material to keep the foot drier and more comfortable. Its not good to not wear socks because shoes can chafe particularly if you get some dirt in there. But no one NEEDS them. Dress socks work fine but won't impress the style police.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by oldfart
They're short because you don't need anything tall, thin so shoes can fit close and not move too much and of wicking material to keep the foot drier and more comfortable.
Plus when you're 20 miles from anywhere and you've gotta take a dump they're a lot softer and more absorbent than leaves. :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I wear them because they are comfy and I like the cool designs on them. However, I wear through the big toe in every pair of cycling socks I own. WTF? Guess I need to start biting my toenails more often.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by wooglin
Plus when you're 20 miles from anywhere and you've gotta take a dump they're a lot softer and more absorbent than leaves. :)
]

Good point.

....other than the leaves ;) , I have never had any discomfort while riding sans sox. I saw some people riding in sandals in CO :eek:.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Some might say I have a cycling sock fetish. I dunno, I just like them. The nice thing about wearing through the toes and heel is that when I'm home for the holidays I usually get a few new pairs from my mom.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
I own about 5 pair of em.

when i am riding i have to have them. cotton is uncomfortable because of the footsweat.

in the winter i wear them underneath my socksystem because the sweat can get trapped in normal socks and cause frostbite in the toes so fast you cannot even feel it.

for normal xc they feel beautiful. socks took me years, to break down and buy. now that i have them i will replace them religiously if required.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
WTH was that?
Wow, I certainly don't ever match my socks to my polo shirt ('cause I don't have one!), but I do wear cycling socks every day. I sport the SmartWools, 'cause they are so much better than synthetic. I work in an office, and they match my slacks just fine. Super comfy, warm in winter, cool in summer, and when I ride in, I don't have to swap out socks.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I wear them for the comfort. They aren't big and bulky and they dry fast. Plus, they are cool looking. It's all about the style man!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
bike socks. cooler, not so lumpy, dry faster. I seem to be sticking at least one foot in at every creek crossing these days.

geargrrl

oh, ,and insprirational.. I found these socks and had to make an outfit to match:

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I tried them. I think they're comfy. But I got tired of paying $8.00 for a pair of socks when I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a 10 pack of Wilson socks for $3.00. I'm a cheap bastard.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
if you go to the sock section of any big box store, at least for women they have a lot of cute little short wicking sox for half of what you pay at a bike shop.

geargrrl

fldunit

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
I wear them because, according to my friend, "I look like a German tourist," and since this is as close to travelling in Europe as I am likely to get...:cool: