Quantcast

D.O.C. Unveiled

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
beers3xbmx said:
endless

just middle men trying to get rich off of rich kids.
AHAHAHAHAahaahaaaaaaaahahaaaaahahaaaaaaaaa

oh crap, oh crap, oh crap imagonna pee oh crap

seriously, the humor is on so many levels I can't figure out who I want to see reply to that first.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
OK, Lots of questions, and lots of answers!

First off, thanks a lot for all of the kind words. It feels good to see hard work appreciated.

Second, yes, the price of this frame is really $450 US/ $585 Canadain.

Inclag These frames are just as "setup critical" as any other hardtail frame, but the D.O.C. is offered in a regular and long sizes, so there is a D.O.C. that should fit almost anyone. One of the guys ridng a prototype is actually 6'6"!

Salami, Bulldog, and more RE how the hell is it $450!?

You guys have heard me say this for years. Our philosophy is to build the best possible product, and sell at the best possible price. Based on standard industy pricing, Imperials and Soveregns should EASILY be priced over $1000. Imperials cost so much to build its crazy. They cost more to build than a lot of DH bikes. We still sell them at $775 becuase we want people to get on these frames, go out, and have fun. Enjoy knowing that they are riding something special.

The D.O.C. follows this exact same philosophy. We wanted to build a steel frame that we could showcase all of our technology and capablity in, and keep the price at a point that people who could normally not afford an Evil frame could get on one. The bike uses all custom triple butted Reynolds 631 air hardening tubes in the front end. The head tube and dropouts are ridiculously strong because of the material that we are using. This let us cut down on weight and add strength to the bike. There are all kinds of little features like that. Im psyched on it. The D.O.C. is not a high production frame by any means. It is a limited producion bike just like the Imperial and Sovereign. The frame is welded at a fully Reynolds certified bike company in Taiwan that specializes in very high end road bikes made from titanium and air hardening steels. The D.O.C. is the first mountain bike they have ever done. I was literally stunned when I saw the welds on the first prototypes. O have seen a LOT of welds in my life. I have welded a lot in my life. These are some AWESOME welds. I mean like perfect. Actally, it sets a pretty ridiculously high precedent for our USA factory that is welding the Sovereigns! Any of you guys who will be at Interbike, definitely come by and see for yourself and let us know what you think!

MikeB
Well, the red is "pretty" close to orange! hahah

With a 410mm Thomson, and proper insertion, the seat adjustment knuckle will be about 4.5" above the center of the head tube. Seat height will be over 40 inches off the ground. The frame is a 15" size, so there is plenty of room for a long post and it is strong enough to take the leverage of the long post. The frame uses a 31.6 seatpost, so you can get that big diameter post extended long and not worry about flex in the post itself.

Ohio
Those are a couple good questions, I should put those up on the Evil site!
Frame weight is 6.0 lbs, and the geometry is based around a 4 inch fork like a Manitou Sherman jumper 100mm. Chris rides his with a Sherman jumper 80mm we planned it so that it would be most at home with an 80-130mm fork. 80-100 for the street and jumping, 100-130 for trails. 100 to do all. With an adjustable travel fork like a Nixon Platinum you could adjust for basically anything.

Salami
Which size of adapters are you looking for on the Imperial SL? We have 14mm dropouts in stock right now, and the adapters for 10mm too.

OK my fingers hurt from typing. If you guys have any more questions, please let us know!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Oh yeah, and that comment about Marshall/ Endless was uncalled for I thought. Those guys are totally into what they do, build a nice bike, and are definitly not getting rich doing it. Hell I dont know anyone in the bike industry whos getting rich! Its somehting you do becuase you love it. At least for me it is. And I know Marshalls in the same boat as me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dw said:
The D.O.C. is not a high production frame by any means. It is a limited producion bike just like the Imperial and Sovereign.
Given that $450 undercuts all but a couple of the other high end burly hardtails on the market, you might have to make it a high production frame...

Using a Reynolds tubeset, nifty adjustable dropouts, smart geometry and not an unreasonable weight at all - at that price... Unbelievable. Who woulda thunk it?

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
beers3xbmx said:
killer price, and imagine, endless charges 700 for their frames....doc is much sicker, and it is a real company not just middle men trying to get rich off of rich kids.
$700 is way too much for what I would spend on a frame, but I doubt, Endless is getting "rich" off their efforts. I used to bitch about having to pay $15 to ride my dirt bike until I realised that the track owner could do alot better if he did somthing else with his land and time. I don't think you should knock people that provide the cycling community with a service. And by the way Endless isn't the only company that charges +$700 for a frame.

beers3xbmx

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
dw said:
Oh yeah, and that comment about Marshall/ Endless was uncalled for I thought. Those guys are totally into what they do, build a nice bike, and are definitly not getting rich doing it. Hell I dont know anyone in the bike industry whos getting rich! Its somehting you do becuase you love it. At least for me it is. And I know Marshalls in the same boat as me.

do you live in a basement with no running water but a sink and pee in a bucket because your too lazy to go out and get a real job?

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
beers3xbmx said:
killer price, and imagine, endless charges 700 for their frames....doc is much sicker, and it is a real company not just middle men trying to get rich off of rich kids.
beers3xbmx said:
why, what are you going to do?
beers3xbmx said:
do you live in a basement with no running water but a sink and pee in a bucket because your too lazy to go out and get a real job?
So this is why you joined this community? Three posts, two bashing marshall and one tough-guy post. All in the same thead and all contributing absolutely nothing. Let me be the first to say that I hope your stay is a brief one.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
he's just a punk poster...ignore him...and don't pay attention to the "BMX" in his name...he's not worthy....D

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
If it is said to be released in december will most online sellers like goride and unrealcycles and such have the frame then? Trying to figure out how i should go about preordering mine so i get in first production run.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
beers3xbmx said:
why, what are you going to do?
make passionate cyber-love to you. :heart:

i'm with mobius. i sent Ben@Unreal an e-mail asking when pre-ordering would begin. i'll probably call him up tomorrow.

-edit-

so...about those V bosses......

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
beers3xbmx said:
No, but you can continue if you wish.

How about you just leave now and go back to your trailer park?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
What's the minimum seatpost insertion required on the DOC dw? My 27.2 Thomson only requires 2.5", but I know that frames, especially braced / low tt frames require more insertion. My 19.5" Turner RFX has the bb-to-center of tt size of 12.5", but Turner does not require me to have insertion below that super low tt. Personally I feel safe at 4" when I'm riding easy (XC), and it's never a problem when riding hard as the seat is much lower. How much insertion does the DOC need? Given the DOC's large/long tt size, I'm pretty sure it's possible for me to ride XC on the 15" DOC with a 410mm Thomson (I'm 6'1"). Any mtb I buy right now needs to have some all-around'ed'ness options to it.

Also, what length fork was the DOC's angles measured with?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fork length for geometry purposes was 100mm as stated elsewhere by dw.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Toshi said:
fork length for geometry purposes was 100mm as stated elsewhere by dw.
Not fork travel, fork length. Yes that's kinda nitpicky, but with so many different chassis' out there fork travel has become rather vague (see Maveric DUC 6" vs Marzocchi 66 6" for an extreme example). Axle-to-crown measurement is much more useful these days. But 100mm is a good start, I'd guess a Marzocchi DJ 100mm. Thanks Toshi.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
beers3xbmx said:

you may or may not like marshall but that's totally uncalled for. seriously leave if this is all you're going to continue to do......

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
punkassean said:
I second the vote to perma-ban this fücktard...
I third it, esp by his post count, it is one thing for a Monkey to have an issue but to jump into the form as a newb and instantly becom and asss. boot him RM