Quantcast

"Dad, is this freeride?"

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I took noah out for a lenghty ride today and instead of going straight to our usual jumps and trails we decided to just ride and explore for a while. we probably got in about 7 miles or so of trail, road, DH and some stunt/drop action during our ride. As we were on the way back to the car, with a fast and fun DH section still ahead of us, he asked me, "dad...is this 'freeride'?" " i mean, because we were like, out riding all over today and exploring AND i did a sweet drop!"
i think i cried a small tear of joy ;)
so i guess that he's figured out the true meaning of the often debated term and he's simplified it in his own head. the best part is that his idea of "freeride" involves riding with me :thumb: i think he's even found a new respect and liking of XC riding because he kept saying, "this is awesome!" as we were climbing a long fireroad section that leads to the dirt jump area :D then as we go in the car he was expressing his excitement and said that we could have long rides like this everyday because school is out! i think this is his first summer where he realizes what summer break is really for :thumb:

so during our ride today we hit up an old spot that we've neglected for months and discovered that someone pieced together a fun little step-down drop thingy. it's probably about 5-6' out and 3' or so down, nothing huge but somewhat tech considering the run-up and landing. i hit it a few times to show him how it works and then he hit it, ....about 20 times! it's so cool watching him clean stuff intended for big bikes on his tiny 20". i took some vid and pics but i'm saving the vid for his next montage that will be coming out soon. it was getting dark and the flash illuminated the dust particles but other than that it's a pretty sweet shot showing the size/tech of the step-down compared to his small body.

can you tell that i'm a proud dad :D

edit: added two more pics from vid to better show the drop

takeoff

landing (bad angle with the trees but you can see his tire just as it hit the tranny)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
NICE!

I'll have to show that to my 10 and 12 year old. That's way more air than either of them will do.

Yes, good times.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i'll pass that comment along to him (he likes to read the comments on RM ;) ) ....but it's only because i don't let him eat dinner unless he goes huge ;) (sarcasm meter should be tipping the scales)

actually, he's at the point now where it scares the crap out of me to watch him ride big stuff. he's about a foot away from clearing a table that i don't even make consistently and if he crashes at the speed he goes to clear the table it'll be catastrophic. (short vid of said table from about 6 months ago....he hits it much faster now :eek: http://media.putfile.com/noah-table )

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
i'll pass that comment along to him (he likes to read the comments on RM ;) ) ....but it's only because i don't let him eat dinner unless he goes huge ;) (sarcasm meter should be tipping the scales)

actually, he's at the point now where it scares the crap out of me to watch him ride big stuff. he's about a foot away from clearing a table that i don't even make consistently and if he crashes at the speed he goes to clear the table it'll be catastrophic. (short vid of said table from about 6 months ago....he hits it much faster now :eek: http://media.putfile.com/noah-table )
i need to get out there one weekend with you guys......i need some pointers on riding

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Man he is progressing fast. My five year trips out seeing footage of Noah and i usually do also.

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
Noah just makes me want to go out and make a kid so I can have your kind of fulfillment. With his skill vrs age I recon he's on his way to salebrity status. More so than now.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Dang.. you're kid's skills puts mine to shame. I'm a wuss compared to him. F'n awsome how much he loves riding with is dad! Great Post Manimal!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Manimal does Noah do other sports too? He's got so much potential on the bike, but he's still so young. It would be a shame to see him get burned out at a young age (not that it will happen, but there is that chance ya know what I mean) because he's got some mad skills already at such a young age.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Manimal does Noah do other sports too? He's got so much potential on the bike, but he's still so young. It would be a shame to see him get burned out at a young age (not that it will happen, but there is that chance ya know what I mean) because he's got some mad skills already at such a young age.

werd. i am always cautious about making riding the ONLY thing we do because i don't want him to burn out. we go fishing a lot and he plays soccer (actually getting pretty good at it) and does gymnastics. we're working on baseball but i nearly broke his nose last week when he tried to catch the ball with his face :bonk: but yeah, he does other things, it's just that i don't post the non-bike related stuff in here much.

oh yeah..he can shoot too ;)