Quantcast

Dancing in the Streets

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was never really opposed to invading/liberating Iraq but I never thought it was a good idea until the developments of today. Two weeks ago I mentioned that our troops were not being met with flowers in the street and now we are. While I still do not think Saddam had any significant stores of WMDs, it looks like this little adventure might just turn out all right.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BTW, you didn't see Iraqi citizens very excited three weeks ago because they were still very afraid of Saddam and his men. Plus, the way we hung them out to dry in 1991, they were reluctatant to believe we were going to finish the job this time. Now that the people of Iraq see that we're not going to stop until the Saddam regime is buried, they can let go of 20 years of oppression.

Iraqi Americans in the United States have been seen celebrating as well.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
BTW, you didn't see Iraqi citizens very excited three weeks ago because they were still very afraid of Saddam and his men. Plus, the way we hung them out to dry in 1991, they were reluctatant to believe we were going to finish the job this time. Now that the people of Iraq see that we're not going to stop until the Saddam regime is buried, they can let go of 20 years of oppression.

Iraqi Americans in the United States have been seen celebrating as well.
OK Fine but... it has been 30 years of repression by Saddam and 50 years since the Royal Family was deposed by the military... ;)

EDIT: 30 years of repression by the Batth Party rule...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Come on, Serial Midget. All that footage you are seeing on TV and the Internet today is Western propoganda.
I question all media sources but todays televised footage was courtesy of Al Jazeera... not known for their pro western stance.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Serial Midget
OK Fine but... it has been 30 years of repression by Saddam and 50 years since the Royal Family was deposed by the military... ;)

EDIT: 30 years of repression by the Batth Party rule...
Well then what are you so surprised about?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well then what are you so surprised about?
I'm not so much surprised as relieved... I felt the WMD justification was bogus and I wasn't convinced that it is our place to 'liberate' the Iraqi people. We are very selective on who we 'liberate'.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Come on, Serial Midget. All that footage you are seeing on TV and the Internet today is Western propoganda. :rolleyes:

:D :D
Yes!! The mercinary dogs of the little son of the devil will have their stomachs burned as they throw themselves at the walls of Bagdad in total suicide!!
In fact, they are not even within a 100 miles of Bagdad, they are like a snake in the desert... avoiding our towns and cities.

:rolleyes: ;)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'll admit it: I'm impressed.

Now to see if we can keep 'em dancing while we install a nice puppet government...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by DRB
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,83704,00.html

I thought this was interesting. It really does show how the Iraqi propaganda was believed. It appears to have made the truth that much harder to believe for them.
From the same article:

"We discovered that all what the [Iraqi] information minister was saying was all lies," said Ali Hassan, a government employee in Cairo, Egypt. "Now no one believes Al-Jazeera anymore."

and...

"I spit on them," he said. "Do those crowds who are saluting the Americans believe that the United States will let them live better?" Fakhoury said. Americans "will loot their oil and control their resources, leaving them nothing."

Mixed signals all the way around.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yep, certainly some great pictures from Baghdad. If you could seperate the outcome of the war from its broader implications then you could say it was a worthwhile exercise.
P.S- I thought they were neve gonna get that bloody statue to fall.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I'm not so much surprised as relieved... I felt the WMD justification was bogus and I wasn't convinced that it is our place to 'liberate' the Iraqi people. We are very selective on who we 'liberate'.
Pretty much how I have felt, I was never convinced by the 'reasons' put forward for the war, though I have never argued that Saddam was anything other than an oppressive, evil dictator (although some may think differently..). It's good to see that the Iraqi people seem, by and large, relieved and grateful.

Hopefully Bush and co will allow them sufficient self-determination to build the US a new image in the Arab world and cast off the spectre of imperialism. I have heard that they only plan to keep the forces there for 90 days which would be impressive.

I still feel that the coalition is walking a thin line in terms of Arab & Iraqi perception and they need to be very aware of the impact of their actions (such as the lounging in Saddam's palace) however understandable after what they have been through.

All I would like to see now is an even-handed and consistent US foreign policy going forward, if the Palestine question could be progressed also with US support that would make a huge difference to the region.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by fluff

Hopefully Bush and co will allow them sufficient self-determination to build the US a new image in the Arab world and cast off the spectre of imperialism. I have heard that they only plan to keep the forces there for 90 days which would be impressive.
For all my anti-imperialist talk, I DO really hope that the US and UN take an active role in post-war Iraq. I don't think the country is prepared to rule itself yet. I don't think it would be truly "self-determined" if we simply packed up and left after 90 days. We've made that mistake before...

My question is, can we maintain a presence without inciting anger in the Arab world, and without tempting the ties between US politicians' self-interests and the resources in Iraq?

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by ohio

My question is, can we maintain a presence without inciting anger in the Arab world, and without tempting the ties between US politicians' self-interests and the resources in Iraq?
If the u.s can supply enough humanitarian aid and lay the ground for the start of a viable democratic society that will help raise the poverty line, which in turn will help young poor iraqis then your effectively cutting the rise of extremist muslims by the roots.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by rbx
If the u.s can supply enough humanitarian aid and lay the ground for the start of a viable democratic society that will help raise the poverty line, which in turn will help young poor iraqis then your effectively cutting the rise of extremist muslims by the roots.
exactly, but can it be done in 90 days? ummmmm, doubtful.

It doesn't appear we've done anything similar in Afghanistan, but people seem to have forgotten about that. Maybe we'll do a better job in Iraq, unless we can distract folks again with a nice invasion of Syria or N Korea.

Seems lately like our policy is slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am, without cuddling and making our bed afterwords...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by N8
Some Iraqis according to news reports want the US Army to stay...for up to 2 years.
I think the other Arab nations would put up a huge protest if we stayed that long... welcome or not we are already considered invaders by most of the Muslim world.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I think the other Arab nations would put up a huge protest if we stayed that long... welcome or not we are already considered invaders by most of the Muslim world.
Other Arab nations were willing to allow Saddam to stay in power and continue the brutual opppression of the Iraqi people. I think that the reaction of the Iraqi people to this point is more important than what someone in Egypt, Syria, or Jordan as to say about it.