Quantcast

Danger! rakist spotted in forest at University

amuddog

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
santa cruz
Two unidentified young men seen in popular unnamed trails raking the leaf litter from the trail. They said (to someone else) to make the trail faster....The fall leaf litter, when ground into the trail, provides a new wear surface to prevent erosion. Already some tree hair roots are showing. We enjoy smoth trails with few ruts and roots because of the annual litter renewal, and because I and some others have spent decades making drains for the trails. When you see the young men please help them understand. Maybe scatter leaf litter at needed places.. Thanks .. Amuddog

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Yeah, what's up w/ folks smoothing out and widening the bottom of goat sucker? It may be faster, but not nearly as sketch now.

If you are going to work on the trails, at least do it the right way. Keep them challenging.

If I were ever to ride such trails and see such raking taking place, I will do my best to make them understand. Hopefully they are under 200 lbs and/or not addicted to meth.

I love that litter drift in the fall!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Saw em a couple of times before... always seemed like a crapload of work that could have gone into something more substantial on a trail. They seemed like nice guys though, def. not addicted to meth.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Two unidentified young men seen in popular unnamed trails raking the leaf litter from the trail. They said (to someone else) to make the trail faster....The fall leaf litter, when ground into the trail, provides a new wear surface to prevent erosion. Already some tree hair roots are showing. We enjoy smoth trails with few ruts and roots because of the annual litter renewal, and because I and some others have spent decades making drains for the trails. When you see the young men please help them understand. Maybe scatter leaf litter at needed places.. Thanks .. Amuddog
This is an interesting theory that I've never heard before. I always blow the leaves off my trails in the fall because once they get wet, they stay wet for the whole season and make things really treacherous (invisible tombstone rocks/washed out front wheels). Around here, they don't get quickly ground in, they just stay there for the whole winter being slimy.

My lines definitely get deeper over time but when things start to get really bad (roots showing, deep ruts, bumps etc) I come in and pack some real dirt down on the offending sections.

If you think about it, I really just store my leaves by the side of the trail till they decompose. . . still using the leaves, just the ones from a couple years ago.

Maybe in norcal the erosion is more of a problem though?

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
You're honestly complaining that (someone I know) are going out there and doing WORK?

Making that **** prime, fixing what needs to be fixed, raking what needs to be raked. Erosion? Get Real... God damn hippie bulls***

Decades building drainage? lolwutttt

If some fat ruts get made, we'll patch them. If you want to drift... do it anyway? It's much more fun driftin on dirt than leaves...

So just letting you know, highly doubt we're going to stop.

Last edited:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm a lot more worried about the crappy jumps being built up there than the raking. that **** at the bottom of chupa right before campers (as well as elsewhere) is straight up retarded. who are these people and what kind of bikes do they ride to appreciate jumps like that? 1' tall kicker with a vertical lip, 15' foot gap, pile of loose dirt with a log sticking out for a 'landing'...

Rake away, boys. I know who you guys are I trust your judgement and ability to make worthwhile maintenance/additions to the trails. Its the stoopid 14 y/o chucker kids I'm worried about. build dumb **** > break some bones > bring on the heat. no bueno.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
You're honestly complaining that (someone I know) are going out there and doing WORK?

Making that **** prime, fixing what needs to be fixed, raking what needs to be raked. Erosion? Get Real... God damn hippie bulls***

Decades building drainage? lolwutttt

If some fat ruts get made, we'll patch them. If you want to drift... do it anyway? It's much more fun driftin on dirt than leaves...

So just letting you know, highly doubt we're going to stop.
There is a group of guys who have been building and maintaining those trails longer than you have been alive. They know what they are doing.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
I'm a lot more worried about the crappy jumps being built up there than the raking. that **** at the bottom of chupa right before campers (as well as elsewhere) is straight up retarded. who are these people and what kind of bikes do they ride to appreciate jumps like that? 1' tall kicker with a vertical lip, 15' foot gap, pile of loose dirt with a log sticking out for a 'landing'...

Rake away, boys. I know who you guys are I trust your judgement and ability to make worthwhile maintenance/additions to the trails. Its the stoopid 14 y/o chucker kids I'm worried about. build dumb **** > break some bones > bring on the heat. no bueno.

Oh **** that's just ****in squirrely!!!! That kinda stuff sketches me out too man but the problem is those kids probably think they're sketchy **** is solid as can be... :disgust1:

That's goin to need some inspecting :thumb: :boss:

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
There is a group of guys who have been building and maintaining those trails longer than you have been alive. They know what they are doing.
I'm sure they have man and I'm stoked they do so, major props to them but if we think something needs fixing, it's going to get fixed. Comprende?
ie. Berms on da borne. No harm in improving what we already have... I mean its fun and all but definitelllly could use touchin up

Good thing it's Winter.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
I don't know everything... That's why I live in SV and go to UCSC! Expanding my knowledge!

Why you gotta be hatin ?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not sure how I'm hating. I'm just agreeing with the elder individual who has been maintaining those trails for many a year before you even knew about them.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
You gotta learn how to maintain trails somehow. If I were one of these old dudes who has been maintaining everything, maybe I'd hit these guys up and go out there with em one day and show them what I do. Sort of passing the torch and all that. I'll bet they have more in common than they think they do.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
And look through my album, then tell me we don't know what we're doing...

http://iggz.pinkbike.com/album/Locs-on-Spokez/

We know what we're doing. I have been riding the UC trails since I was 9 years old with my dad... I have been around for quite a while from my perspective. I have done my fair share of riding over the world... I've seen people out there doing work, cutting logs, snipping bushs etc. and major props to them no doubt.

We'll just keep doing what we're doing and if you don't like it... ='(

:sarcastic:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Yeah, I heard Capt America has been doing some of the rakin' and work in question. He knows how to build and ride so I won't question that work.

Buffed trail and perfectly sculpted berms/lips are sweet, but I ain't no dirt jumper and sometimes the more primitive and rough trails are fun too.

Just leave some of them in their sketchy state is all I'm asking (like some of the goat trails that have been cut in the last year).

But thanks to those putting in the time up there, young and fast and old and crusty. :thumb: I try to do my part as well. Now if I could just get laid off.....

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
And look through my album, then tell me we don't know what we're doing...

http://iggz.pinkbike.com/album/Locs-on-Spokez/
That is nice work. I can't deny that the dirt is nice and sticky. The difference between those back yard jumps and the trails is that one is flat and easy to access and one is a watershed out in the forest. The trail now requires more regular maintenance and we now know who is responsible, so we will hold you to it.:busted:

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
I don't expect for all the work to be pushed on us...

People that ride should do their part but there are a lot of lazy people and then there are a lot of people who just suck dick at diggin so we'll do the best we can!!

Expect some crazzzzy **** once the rains come!!!!!

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
A lot of us do trail work. Of course, it's all renegade. I have cleared up a few blockages. But when you do work that necessitates more maintenance, then you have to take the responsibility for it. The trails hold up to erosion pretty well normally, but when they are stripped bare...see OP.

I look forward to seeing your future work.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Raked it up all primest prime like best it's ever been ever (the trails that matter)

Then it got **** on by some douche bag hiker walking his dog telling me I need to get better at riding instead of raking the trail.
I raged.

That's all I wanted to say... Just keep a heads up for an old guy with a white dawg

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Raked it up all primest prime like best it's ever been ever (the trails that matter)

Then it got **** on by some douche bag hiker walking his dog telling me I need to get better at riding instead of raking the trail.
I raged.

That's all I wanted to say... Just keep a heads up for an old guy with a white dawg
Rode your raked trails after we saw you on saturday. They were fast. Thanks for keeping everything buffed out there.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I was out there on Saturday but didn't see you out there.

I did a quick Ucon to Chupa loop on my 5 inch bike so I would take it easy.

It felt so nice to ride again. I can't wait to bust out the big bike again and not worry about putting my left foot out.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Heh, Chupa is a good one...

Glad to hear you're back on the bike though man

I'll be out there tomorrow, and probably the next day, etc, etc ;]

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah

I raged.

so are you the one raking sh|t back on the trails? rode there last Saturday on my HT and all the trails were in great shape.

Then on Sunday I went back and there was one long section of a trail that was now completely covered with pine needles and STICKS/BRANCHES. you could tell the trail had been deliberately covered. I came in there balls out and a stick almost took my rear derailleur out... not cool..

I don't mind leafs and pine needles on the trails - but sicks is bad news.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
so are you the one raking sh|t back on the trails? rode there last Saturday on my HT and all the trails were in great shape.

Then on Sunday I went back and there was one long section of a trail that was now completely covered with pine needles and STICKS/BRANCHES. you could tell the trail had been deliberately covered. I came in there balls out and a stick almost took my rear derailleur out... not cool..

I don't mind leafs and pine needles on the trails - but sicks is bad news.
Next time I'll set out bear traps for you, Luc.

:weee:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
The trails get "branched in" every once in a while. I have seen a group of old crusty hikers doing this before, pretty lame.

Last winter we had a train of five come railing through and ran into 2 hikers collecting branches and laying them in the trail. They only had about a 50 foot section done, so we simply picked up all the sh*t and threw it back at them w/o saying a word. They were scared, it was pretty funny.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
You ****ing kidding me bro?

I am the one that raked it out. My friends and I spent two mornings fixing up the berms on SnT/Bourne Ultimatum and I raked a **** load...

Don't even begin telling me I'm doing the wrong thing.

I ****ing raged at the douche bag hiker who was destroying **** as I rode down. I saw it happen. God damnit

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
guess we use different names for the same tails. it's was the trail on the far right (when you're at the top of the hill) I call it booger gimme woody, but looks like you call it SnT/Bourne. well all the crap was on the lower section - most likely near where you guys fixed/added berm. my bro and I used our hands and feet to clear as much as possible.

igz - I wasn't really pointing the finger at you, was just asking since you said you had done some raking, and all of a sudden I run into this stuff. I don't know you - but no hard feelings bro.

I do my share of trail maintenance - I ride in the wee hours of the morning and typically clear most of the trails up (especially after storms or hard winds). so as you can imagine it ticks me off a little bit when I come up on stuff like that. This is not the first time - once someone had made a barrier across the trail with big logs and left a note that said "No Off Road Mountain Biking" - classic!!

Rode there this morning - trails are in good shape. ET was a bit slick, I lost my front end on one high speed corner, something that hasn't happen a while.

happy holidays!!

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
guess we use different names for the same tails. it's was the trail on the far right (when you're at the top of the hill) I call it Airborne, but looks like you call it SnT/Bourne. well all the crap was on the lower section - most likely near where you guys fixed/added berm. my bro and I used our hands and feet to clear as much as possible.

igz - I wasn't really pointing the finger at you, was just asking since you said you had done some raking, and all of a sudden I run into this stuff. I don't know you - but no hard feelings bro.

I do my share of trail maintenance - I ride in the wee hours of the morning and typically clear most of the trails up (especially after storms or hard winds). so as you can imagine it ticks me off a little bit when I come up on stuff like that. This is not the first time - once someone had made a barrier across the trail with big logs and left a note that said "No Off Road Mountain Biking" - classic!!

Rode there this morning - trails are in good shape. ET was a bit slick, I lost my front end on one high speed corner, something that hasn't happen a while.

happy holidays!!
There has been a trend of late to not use the actual trail name on the internet, just something that may sound like it. Duh.

Do you really think a rider would actually rake stuff back on the trail?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
There has been a trend of late to not use the actual trail name on the internet, just something that may sound like it. Duh.

Do you really think a rider would actually rake stuff back on the trail?
looks like I'm hurting everyone's feelings..

:cray:

you happy now?

PS: just do you know..I don't follow trends.