Quantcast

Dark Mtn Cane Creek Cup - June 18-19

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Just wanted to give an update on the CC race at Dark Mtn. We should have complete info & preregistraton on our website http://brushymtncyclists.tripod.com/ within the next couple of weeks. Plans include to have DH on Saturday with practice from 8-10am, races starting around 11am. There will be a shuttle offered only on the day of the race. The shuttle is also dependent on whether it is raining or not. If it rains then we'll have to push or ride back up but hopefully we'll have good weather...fingers crossed

The DH course is basically complete. We do have one section that may have to be re-routed but other than that its good to go. There will be some last minute obstacles thrown in the day before the race. We have to wait till the day before because the obstacles are only temporary per the Rangers.

We are cutting a new section for the XC race which should be completed by the 1st of May. This section will add a little length and do away with an old fireroad thats been utilized. The course should be around 6 miles and will basically take the same route as the Burn 24 last year. In addition we maybe able to incorporate another new section after the Burn is over this year. If so then the new section will be opened after the DH event on Saturday. XC races will start at 8am on Sunday.

Regarding the prizes we have picked up a couple more sponsors which brings the prize total to around $5600. Our local shop (Cook's) has joined with Giant to provide two frames for the event. There will be a drawing after the awards ceremony each day for one of the frames. The drawing will be from registration from the days event & you have to be present to win...trying to avoid shipping cost.

In addition Cook's will have tech support onsite, parts & some demo bikes to try out. Oh yeah, I still don't have any pics of the course yet but maybe can get some this weekend.

Hope you can make it out, it should be a good time for everyone!!! :thumb:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
I haven't measured the length yet but will do so this weekend. I would guess its around .75 miles. Similar to Charlotte & ETSU with a few bigger jumps & rock garden. I'll also contact the Ranger for the topo.

Thanks
Matt

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
It will be a little more big bike friendly than Charlotte however a slalom bike would be my recommendation. And as long as you got a melon cap on you can wear whatever you like!!! The entry fee is $30 for all classes.

Dark Mtn is located at W Kerr Scott Dam in Wilkesboro, NC. Its right in between Winston & Boone on Hwy 421. Its not far out of town (about 4 miles) and extremely easy to find. The BMCC wedsite has directions, see above.

Thanks
Matt

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Finally got a measurement on the course, sorry for the delay. It's approximately 3/4 of a mile. I still haven't received word back from the Rangers regarding the topo but will post as soon as possible.

Later

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
so does it start where the 24 hour race started going down the hill? It was like a little gulley then dropped down the hill?

You guys need to do this race, it will be soooo much fun!

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
It will use most of the Burn downhill route. We've just cut out the uphill sections. It will actually start on top of the hill. Its a new section just for the dh race. Here's how it run:

Start out on a launch pad on top of the hill. Pedal your butt off on a flat section to hit a small double. After the double you'll berm to the left somewhat (still on flat section) and then into a 2ft drop/jump going downhill. You land right at entrance of a small rock garden (just about 6ft long) then have a hard off camber right. Still proceeding downhill into a 2-3 ft roller followed by a 1-2 ft roller that spits you onto the Burn downhill. After the last roller it is off camber & somewhat narrow at speed which keeps it interesting. You dip through a small valley, going across the core trail. Then you hammer down a fast single track section (still haven't decided if we will put any obstacles in this section or not). At end of this section you will hit a 3ft or so high log pile and proceed into a nice rock garden (around 25ft or so). This is were the big bike would come in handy. After the rock garden you will hit a big berm to the left & then another to the right (we're putting these in this weekend). After the berms you will basically run parrallel to the Burn downhill. This section has rollers & rocks and finishes with a small drop onto the main trail (Burn downhill). The next section is super fast, going through a roller coaster section. You will hit a small jump which will throw you into a huge berm to the right. For thoughes familar with the trail this is were the skinny is near the bottom of the Burn downhill. After that you rocket to a 3-4 foot jump that will launch you at least 8 foot or so followed by a 6-7 foot table top. After the table you berm to the right gaining speed all the time. S'ing a little then into a right hander to a small jump (1-2 footer). Immediately following the jump is a hard left which will keep it interesting because if don't mind your speed you want make the turn. After the turn you'll haul butt down a slight decline, followed by a flat section. Then across a big rock onto the walking track. The walking track will have two picnic tables, hopefully, still haven't got the sign off from the Rangers. The last table will be at the end of the track so when you launch or drop it the tranny will be all downhill so to have a fast finish. :)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sounds sweet.
I will be there.
One thing, when it comes to putting in "more" obstacles, most of the time racers prefer to race the course as is when it comes to doing the flatter style courses where you have to pedal a bunch. Things like big log crossings that kill your momentum make those courses suck.
Just like last year at Charlotte, they had two courses that we were supposed to do, but everybody asked if we could just do the left side because it was more flowy and fun.
Sounds like you guys are putting in a lot of work. It sounds fun.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Jeremy, thanks, you just made the decision for us...no more obstacles in that section. Hey that's less work anyway. We'll still have to have the big log pile in order to control the speed before the rock garden...got to keep the Rangers happy. :rolleyes:

Later

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
im coming for sure, where is the other downhil course at charlotte? i know where one is, at that podium thing with roof shingles on it with the small rockgardens and log crossings, and a switch back, and a small double and then your done. wheres the other one? i hate that uphill part on the charlotte dh course right before that lip that leads you to the double, anyways where is this, i may have to try it when there is a race.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I started to consider racing this for the fun of it, which I'm sure there will be a ton (maybe it will rain, now that would be fun). However I just noticed that practice is only 2 hrs and the race is on Saturday morning. There is no way I can make the drive from Knoxville to practice at 8 am. You guys should have scheduled it for the afternoon. :( Oh well enjoy yourselves. I know Jeremy will. I guess Iwill head to Atlanta to DJ that weekend.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Sorry about the timing however we're expecting the awards & everything to finish around 3:00pm and then we have to get the xc course ready so they can practice that afternoon. If things move quicker than expected this year then next year we will definitely adjust the time.

Have a good one!

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Yeah, the trails are open all the time so you can practice whenever works best for you. A couple of weeks prior to the race we will mark the course off somewhat so that you'll know which route to practice on. We'll also have a revised trail map on our website which details the course. I'll post as soon as its up.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Here are some pictures of the course on the way down:
(Feel free to make additional comments Guard)

The second and bigger jump at the top:

Going fast enough could land you in this small rock garden with a hard right turn just after it:

From there you wind through some fast singletrack and bear left into this rock garden (looking down it - you can just see some of the right turn berm):

Looking up the rock garden:

Me on the right hand berm that the rock garden dumps you into:

In order to leave a little surprise, I do not have any pictures of the 180 degree berm that immediately follows the one pictured above. Obstacle wise further down the trail, there is a large log pyramid jump (3'-4' tall) and a 3' x 10' or so table top. Make sure to bring you handling skills since there are going to be some fairly tough turns to make at speed!

Big thanks to the trail crew that was putting this together for us: :thumb:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
First print you a trail map off of the BMCC website: http://brushymtncyclists.tripod.com/.

Once you have the map, find were trail #10 intersects the "C" core trail. Follow the core trail past the intersection of trail #3 to the next "C" symbol on the map. This is the approximate location for the start of the dh trail. The dh trail parallels the core trail at the start. At the start you will wind a little through the woods going towards the intersection of trail #1 & #10. The trail does not actually hit the intersection but this will get you in the right direction. The dh trail will spit you out onto trail #1 going down the trail. You will cross #11 staying on #1 until you get to the rock garden section. Once you come upon the rock section hang a left & proceed through the rock garden. The rock garden shots you into a right handed berm (in one of the pics above). This section will spit dump you back onto #1. Follow #1 all the way out onto the walking track. We will set up a couple of picnic table or other drops/jumps on the track a couple of days before the race. With the finish line near the lake.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not let me know & I'll try again.

Later

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Excellent work gentlemen! I'm looking forward to this event, especially since Butch & Co. got hosed at Wolf...Anyway, any advice as to which bike to bring? I was thinking I might actually take my Transition Preston rather than my 98 pound Bullit...Hell, I'll just bring both and see what happens :)

Can't wait!

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Update: We finished a re-route of the course last night which should increase the fun factor & speed. Also just off of the phone with Cook's (local bike shop & Giant dealer). Instead of two hardtail frame we were able to swing two complete STILETTO CHOPPER bike’s to give away. :blah: Maybe next year we can have chopper class!!!!...of course chains & leather would be required! :D

We are finalizing the event flier tonight & printing on Thursday so they'll be available at the Burn this weekend. We'll also be dropping them off at area shops & have it posted on the BMCC website by the middle of next week.

A preregistration form will be available as well. In order to minimize cost we are requesting that if possible please register ahead of time. :help: If registering the day of the event we'll have to add $5; therefore $30 preregistered, $35 day of event.

I'll post once the website is update. Later

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Guard said:
We'll do Butch...thanks! Of yeah there's only one section that could abuse a rear derailleur so derailleur changed individuals should be ok...not like Mass! :D
I'll be sure to cut you and rub salt in the wound when I see you...?

So tell me...did that hi-tech thingie you straddled ride any faster than your steed from last year? :blah:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
It definitely pedals better...unfortunately I'm in worse shape than last year so it probably evens out!! :p The fork seemed pretty plush however I still like the Breakout Plus I ran last year because of the SPV...I guess it will grow on me.

I hate to say it but I think the biggest thing that helped at Mass was riding with you guys on Friday. Did you notice that we got caught on the video from Friday's practice? It took watching it 4-5 times before I actually noticed...

Later

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Guard said:
It definitely pedals better...unfortunately I'm in worse shape than last year so it probably evens out!! :p The fork seemed pretty plush however I still like the Breakout Plus I ran last year because of the SPV...I guess it will grow on me.

I hate to say it but I think the biggest thing that helped at Mass was riding with you guys on Friday. Did you notice that we got caught on the video from Friday's practice? It took watching it 4-5 times before I actually noticed...

Later
you mean that fade in that blurred me out and gave you and Jeremy the limelight... :p :p Not exactly my finest moment on film. But better than Steve's video of me.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I hear the price is $30 to race, is that correct? Also, what class would a 15 year old who has never raced downhill be in? (Me) I havent raced, but I still consider myself somewhat fast. ;)