Quantcast

Dark Owl Punkduro PROTOTYPE

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
This looks hot. Do you have any pics with a bit more contrast between bike and background so we could make out some real lines and looks?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Just a bit surprising not see boost spacing, is all. I had to convert all my 142 hubs to boost. :(
Yeah, about that. Rear triangle is a solid piece of 7075 Alu, machined from a single block of material. Those 6mm made a big difference in price.
1676760176582.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wait, 142x12?
I thought the steel tubes bonded in to aluminum would raise more eyebrows, it's pretty sweet.
Maybe Pole could steal that Idea for their hardtail and you could glue your own frame together at home to save on shipping.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I've uploaded brighter photos. There was some kind of an issue, during upload to Vital, and they went super dark (owl). Cheers!
1677023452300.png

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty rad! :clapping:

Is there more information somewhere? Curious about the thinking behind some of your choices, suspension design, how it's been working, etc.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Pretty rad! :clapping:

Is there more information somewhere? Curious about the thinking behind some of your choices, suspension design, how it's been working, etc.
I can answer whatever question You have, go ahead, ask me!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Does a shark swim better than a cheetah runs? :D

Seriously, I guess I'd start with these: Why steel tubes and aluminum lugs? What were your goals with the suspension design, and have they been achieved? How's the weight? Stiffness/compliance? Plans for production, or more of a design/fab exercise?

And why don't the cables go through the bar, stem, and headset?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is dark matter real, or was it just added as a fudge-factor to general relativity and the equation is wrong?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Does a shark swim better than a cheetah runs? :D

Seriously, I guess I'd start with these: Why steel tubes and aluminum lugs? What were your goals with the suspension design, and have they been achieved? How's the weight? Stiffness/compliance? Plans for production, or more of a design/fab exercise?

And why don't the cables go through the bar, stem, and headset?
It doesn't matter if a shark swim better than a cheetah runs, because an owl flies quieter than anything else.

Why steel/alu combo:
I still wanted to build a steel bike, but the logistics/time required to get everyone and everything on time, as ordered or designed were PITA.
I like this bit of dampness/comfort that butted steel tubing provides.
Wanted to get rid of welding process and all the work required to prepare it for TIG (cutting/fitting/machining/etc.)
Aluminium lugs were chosen because of their strength to weight ratio (for 7xxx alloys) and relative ease in machining them in bigger quantities (when taking into account pretty complex shapes).

About the cable thing:
I fuckin hate internally routed cables. They are PITA to work on, and I like to work on my bikes. External routing is barely visible in my case, toptube is dirtjump bike low, so you can't even notice cables IRL.
1677100373973.png

I've made custom/Dark Owl branded wrap to keep the cables quiet tho
1677099925771.png

If anyone would be interested in such (with their own logo or smthn) msg me.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Very cool bike! I need some of that shrink wrap.
What glue did you use for the bonding?
Are there machined pockets inside the rear end? How are you liking the machined rear end?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Very cool bike! I need some of that shrink wrap.
What glue did you use for the bonding?
Are there machined pockets inside the rear end? How are you liking the machined rear end?
I've used Loctite EA 9466 and room temperature cure. I did a bunch of chemical treatments to alloy parts, and mechanical to steel tubing, as well as done some crazy cleaning of bonded areas for a greater adhesion strength. It was 2nd best option according to aircraft/military literature I've found. For the best one, I simply couldn't get the chemicals. They were all restricted due to possible use in drugs or explosives production :busted: For the 2nd best option, it wasn't that much easier to get them, kinda expensive, doable tho.

Parts after the treatment and drying (pics taken around 3:40 AM in the morning, as the solution baths were taking couple hours, and had to be done in controlled temperature/time/order and so on, then i had like 40 minutes to bond them, otherwise the bond properties would deteriorate with time). In the 2nd pic, if you look closely, you can see (or not) aluminium material grain structure, that become visible after the treatment, kinda like layers formed during rolling of the aluminium stock.
1677279044653.png

1677279113251.png

1677278819088.jpeg

1677279425570.png

Rear triangle is solid. I've done a lot of FEA on that No internal machining. It is kinda heavy, at around 1150g. It is stiff. The biggest difference came from applying proper preload to the bearings and stiffening/bolting together the lower linkage.

Attachments

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've used Loctite EA 9466 and room temperature cure. I did a bunch of chemical treatments to alloy parts, and mechanical to steel tubing, as well as done some crazy cleaning of bonded areas for a greater adhesion strength. It was 2nd best option according to aircraft/military literature I've found. For the best one, I simply couldn't get the chemicals. They were all restricted due to possible use in drugs or explosives production :busted: For the 2nd best option, it wasn't that much easier to get them, kinda expensive, doable tho.

Parts after the treatment and drying (pics taken around 3:40 AM in the morning, as the solution baths were taking couple hours, and had to be done in controlled temperature/time/order and so on, then i had like 40 minutes to bond them, otherwise the bond properties would deteriorate with time). In the 2nd pic, if you look closely, you can see (or not) aluminium material grain structure, that become visible after the treatment, kinda like layers formed during rolling of the aluminium stock.

Rear triangle is solid. I've done a lot of FEA on that No internal machining. It is kinda heavy, at around 1150g. It is stiff. The biggest difference came from applying proper preload to the bearings and stiffening/bolting together the lower linkage.
Ok, thanks for the info! Awesome stuff you got going on here. Bravo!