Quantcast

Darn It

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, I got my first dent in the downtube the other night. A baby head sized rock hit the downtube pretty hard and put a small dent in the down tube. Nothing to really worry about... I hope.

I ordered the Go-Ride downtube gaurd so that this doesn't happen again. I then slapped a Foes sticker on it for good measure and a few zip ties to help the 2 sided tape. The thing fits and looks like it will do the job nicely. Thanks Go-Ride for such a good idea. Here is a pic.... Does anyone else run a downtube gaurd. I wish I would have gotten one earlier. I did get he smooth one rather than the diamond plate.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
When I rebuild my bike, I'll be running protective stickers on my forks + frame... 3m stuff, sold to cover headlights from stones and whatnot, it's fairly expensive, and fairly thick, but it'll be well worth the hassle to protect my bits from stray rocks.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I did a little trimming to protect the cable tab attachments. I have had rocks bend those before too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have protective tape all over the FLY. When I remove all of it the bike should look almost brand new. I even put it on the legs of the 888 to protect during shuttles.

Last pic

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had an old DH tube with a XC tube inside it before and it still dented the downtube. A tire piece would have worked better.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Kanter
I did a little trimming to protect the cable tab attachments. I have had rocks bend those before too.
...looks sharp. You ought to file down them corners.

Red paint would be nice... stealth guard.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I thought about getting it powdercoated but it kind of matches the Go-Ride crowns, Thompson seatpst and other polished stuff I have on the bike....

The edges look sharp in the pic but they aren't.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
kanter, maybe im the only one with this problem, but my freakin upper stanchion of my super t hits the cable bracket on the left hand side of the frame(the upper one). not only did it completely pinched my rear der cable in it(i had to dremel it out), but it also limits my turning radius to the left.

no big deal, i just moved the rear der cable to the bottom bracket...but now i cant run a front der b/c the upper bracket is all messed up. im starting to think foes welded my bracket to far down on my frame. just wondering if you have; or know anyone who has expierenced this problem.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yep.... Had the same problem. I hit the tab a few times and bent it back out with a screw driver. All I did was wrap a tire piece around the bumper on the fork. It does limit the fork radius but I really dont mind. I rarely turn the fork to full turn. Heres a pic

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I did both sides to match. Heres another pic. I had to add a rolled up innertube under the tire to get the sanction not to hit the tabs. It has enough room now. It doesn't hit even under a good flex.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
In the pic it looks like the tab will hit the crown but the tab is far enough up that it misses the crown by 3-4 mm.

Originally posted by Swine
kanter, maybe im the only one with this problem, but my freakin upper stanchion of my super t hits the cable bracket on the left hand side of the frame(the upper one). not only did it completely pinched my rear der cable in it(i had to dremel it out), but it also limits my turning radius to the left.
Hmm...I did the same thing about 6 weeks ago. I don't think it's as bad as what you're experiencing since I can still shift the front derailer, but it sure as heck will need some attention when it comes time to change the cables. As long as I don't smash it any more, a small slotted screw driver should do the trick. FWIW, I managed to move the bumper down on the left stanchion so now the bumper actually works....:rolleyes:

xc skier

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Originally posted by Swine
no big deal, i just moved the rear der cable to the bottom bracket...but now i cant run a front der b/c the upper bracket is all messed up. im starting to think foes welded my bracket to far down on my frame. just wondering if you have; or know anyone who has expierenced this problem.
You can move rear der cable to other side like I did. Works flawlessly

Attachments

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Looks sharp. Does the guard have a spacer or something to protect the frame as the guard slides occasionally? I was thinking of the core rate stanchion guards when I saw that. They use 2 big wider rubber bands on the areas of contact and it protects the frame from rubbing agains the guards.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Monkeybidnezz
Looks sharp. Does the guard have a spacer or something to protect the frame as the guard slides occasionally? I was thinking of the core rate stanchion guards when I saw that. They use 2 big wider rubber bands on the areas of contact and it protects the frame from rubbing agains the guards.
Not sure who else remembers this SNL skit, but this post reminds me of one an SNL info-mmeritial of sorts where they were selling a motorcyle helmet endorsed by some rider, then a helmet protector, then a helmet protector protector, then a helmet protector protector protector, etc... In the end, there was a guy riding a motorcycle with this gi-normous helmet thing on his head. He couldn't even keep his head up.

:D Anyway, I digress.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Originally posted by xc skier
You can move rear der cable to other side like I did. Works flawlessly
wow dood...beautiful build up.

im might just do that when it comes time to put the front der on. but right now shes in dh mode for the new season.:devil:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
DFoxracing
Hey smart a$$. I work hard to pay for my bike. I just want it to last awhile and everyone knows a dent in the downtube can fatigue the frame. The dent in mine is fairly small but only because I had a tube on the downtube to protect it. No need for a comment like that. I just dont want it to happen again..

Monkeybidnezz
The guard has two way tape on it. I just put a few zipties on it to make sure it stays on.

xc skier
Do you run the cable under the shock through the frame? I ran my rear brake line through there and had it pinch one time on full compressioin.

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
your bike is definitely ruined. I think a dent that size ruins the frames integrity........

my experioence is that FOES dent easily. I had a FLY and the top tube dented. never happened to my turner!

also why would you buy an avalanche for a FLY when the best shock made comes with the frame? curnutt!

anyow you should try and sell the bike before it cracks completely in half.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
DFoxracing
Hey smart a$$. I work hard to pay for my bike. I just want it to last awhile and everyone knows a dent in the downtube can fatigue the frame. The dent in mine is fairly small but only because I had a tube on the downtube to protect it. No need for a comment like that. I just dont want it to happen again..

Monkeybidnezz
The guard has two way tape on it. I just put a few zipties on it to make sure it stays on.

xc skier
Do you run the cable under the shock through the frame? I ran my rear brake line through there and had it pinch one time on full compressioin.
\

Thanks Kanter, looks like I'll have to get one. Great job customizing it.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Originally posted by gunslingger
your bike is definitely ruined. I think a dent that size ruins the frames integrity........

my experioence is that FOES dent easily. I had a FLY and the top tube dented. never happened to my turner!

also why would you buy an avalanche for a FLY when the best shock made comes with the frame? curnutt!

anyow you should try and sell the bike before it cracks completely in half.

best shock made...:rolleyes:

kids these days...there is no best anything, its what ever suites your application best.

the curnutt is spv, i hate the feel of spv...dead and numb feeling with extremely aqward jumping characteristics and rough over small trail complications, on the flip side, it sticks to the ground like no other, has the best pedaling characteristic (however, a properly set-up avy will come in a very close second), and excellent tunability and ending stroke compression (gains nothing on an avy here).

then again, i wasnt completely "used" to the many spv shocks ive ridded. but i know what i want and like, and i know i dont want spv as of right now. thats my story.

btw- how did you dent your top tube, ive taken spills in some of nastiest rockgardens the south east has to offer. lots of scratches but no dents.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
DFoxracing
Dude, chill. his comment was funny.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Avy is way better than the Curnutt. The Curnutt small bump sensitivity absolutley sucked. It actually felt choppy. I have run the Curnutt, Romic, and Avy and the Avy far out performs all of them. Yes, the Curnutt climbs better but the Romic and Avy climb really well also. My Avy is valved just about perfect for trail riding and still handles drops like a champ. I would never run a Curnutt again. I am still tuning the Avy. I just got it revalved and it feels so good. Now all I have to do is get the compression and rebound on par.

xc skier

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004

xc skier
Yes it's under the shock as well as the rear brake line. No problems so far

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Kanter said:
Kanter,

I just got the guard in and was looking at trimming it to fit around the cable attachments. Your guard has such a clean cut, mind sharing how you cut it? I was thinking a hack saw, but I don't have a bench to secure it so was just checking. Thanks in advance if you are able to reply...

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Monkeybidnezz said:
Kanter,

I just got the guard in and was looking at trimming it to fit around the cable attachments. Your guard has such a clean cut, mind sharing how you cut it? I was thinking a hack saw, but I don't have a bench to secure it so was just checking. Thanks in advance if you are able to reply...
Sounds like a perfect excuse to go out an buy a dremel... :thumb: